Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fannying about at the back

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Not to mention by the time they'd faffed around and decided Pickford should take it rather than Stones, and he'd then ambled up to the ball from his area, it had wasted about 90 seconds of the four minutes injury time!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not to mention by the time they'd faffed around and decided Pickford should take it rather than Stones, and he'd then ambled up to the ball from his area, it had wasted about 90 seconds of the four minutes injury time!
Upon when, Curcrella threw himself on the floor, and rolled around holding his face for another 90 seconds...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ditto. It was just horrific. All the way through the tournament I was saying to my sons how lucky we are to watch great football at the Amex instead of that shite that unstructured shite that Everton fans have to sit through. Will never take it for granted again!
Agree totally.

But ironically, (if my memory is correct) we also watched Everton score against us at the Amex, from a hoofed Pickford free kick "into the mixer"

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The thing I find odd about it all is that Southgate seems to have the buy-in of the squad. But what do players like Foden and Bellingham think about being coached by someone telling the keeper to smash it long and try and hit the big man up front every time he gets the ball? It must be very different to hearing what their coaches at their clubs are saying.

Southgate was on record as saying he didn't instruct the players to sit deep after scoring, and yet the players seemed to do exactly that, all the time.
My assumption is that there is very little instruction from Southgate, and players like Pickford are given carte blanche to play the way they see fit.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
players like Pickford are given carte blanche to play the way they see fit.
...and that's the Burnley Everton way.

hq720.jpg

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Can anyone repost the fine effort from the Palace friendly the other week in here? Possibly against Crawley? I can’t remember which thread it got posted in but deserves pride of place here.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

That's amazing. Many years ago I did a short term contract for a company where I ended up playing in the 5 a side team in matches against other companies on the trading estate. This was probably late 90s. One of the guys was clearly a multitude of levels above the rest of us, only 19 or 20 years old, and had been on trials with a number of clubs, I remember Spurs being mentioned and possibly Palace among others. He'd been offered a contract by someone lower league, but still league - I want to say Exeter or someone similar - and had turned it down because he'd decided that he'd make more money over his life by focusing on his career in IT than being a journeyman, lower league, professional footballer...for him it was top division or nothing.

One of his old coaches was by that point working in the US and trying to get him to go there and tryout for a top team saying he would definitely get a team and earn decent money but he wasn't interested. I last saw him just before lockdown and without being uncharitable he was several times larger than he had been and had taken up smoking, but watching that clip he'd still probably make it in the US.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That's amazing. Many years ago I did a short term contract for a company where I ended up playing in the 5 a side team in matches against other companies on the trading estate. This was probably late 90s. One of the guys was clearly a multitude of levels above the rest of us, only 19 or 20 years old, and had been on trials with a number of clubs, I remember Spurs being mentioned and possibly Palace among others. He'd been offered a contract by someone lower league, but still league - I want to say Exeter or someone similar - and had turned it down because he'd decided that he'd make more money over his life by focusing on his career in IT than being a journeyman, lower league, professional footballer...for him it was top division or nothing.

One of his old coaches was by that point working in the US and trying to get him to go there and tryout for a top team saying he would definitely get a team and earn decent money but he wasn't interested. I last saw him just before lockdown and without being uncharitable he was several times larger than he had been and had taken up smoking, but watching that clip he'd still probably make it in the US.

It's amazing to think Messi and Suarez are coming up against this standard of defender

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here