Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fan Advisory Board Representatives .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I don't really understand why everyone is getting worked up over who has been elected and who hasn't. A cynic might say that if Bloom and Barber really wanted a Fan Advisory Board, they would have introduced one at some point in the previous 10 years. Not conveniently when there are calls for an independent regulator which they are against, allowing them to turn around and say "We don't need an independent regulator, we do listen to our fans, look at this"... Let's face it, it is purely a box ticking exercise

Is the right answer and no doubt when a FAB is required a certain CEO will proclaim we are ahead of the curve (no less)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So if I understand it correctly those who are below 30 think that the below 30s should be represented, while Grandpa Simpson disagrees on the basis that they're all violent coke addicts... conveniently forgetting that if we're going to judge and generalize entire generations, anyone who went to football in the 1980s should probably be shot on sight.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So if I understand it correctly those who are below 30 think that the below 30s should be represented, while Grandpa Simpson disagrees on the basis that they're all violent coke addicts... conveniently forgetting that if we're going to judge and generalize entire generations, anyone who went to football in the 1980s should probably be shot on sight.

Nope, you don't understand at all.

What we've discovered is that I voted for two under 30s and the bloke complaining they didn't get in didn't vote for them or promote them, despite having thousands of followers on Twitter and Youtube.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

The slight caveat to that is that some of us saying there should be under-30s represented are in fact over 30 ourselves.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
For the record I did vote for the under 30’s candidates as I think it would be good to have them represented on the FAB. However before we get buried in rancour and conspiracy theories, the electorate for this would have sadly been an older demographic by default and the club did not allow the candidates to really sell themselves, which I am actually very sad about.

That said some of candidates I voted for did make it on to the board and I have every confidence they will represent all generations well. Let’s see how they get on first before putting the boot in. Also in that spirit can we put all over-generalisations of different age groups in the bin as well please.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I quite like werthers so I'm happy with how this turned out,at least we won't be signing any more duds now the fans have a voice :D

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For the record I did vote for the under 30’s candidates as I think it would be good to have them represented on the FAB. However before we get buried in rancour and conspiracy theories, the electorate for this would have sadly been an older demographic by default and the club did not allow the candidates to really sell themselves, which I am actually very sad about.

That said some of candidates I voted for did make it on to the board and I have every confidence they will represent all generations well. Let’s see how they get on first before putting the boot in. Also in that spirit can we put all over-generalisations of different age groups in the bin as well please.

Well said.

I think we should bin all generalisations :wink:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Well I voted for the youngsters and surprised to see neither Paul Samrah's son or jack selected. The whole process left a lot to be desired quite frankly. There should have been more information on each candidate, not to invite bias but certainly more than we got given.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Naive to think whomever it is is going to be is anything more than a token gesture with zero influence on decisions surely?

Or have I totally missed the point?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm happy to say I voted for you and Seb, mostly because you normally post sensible stuff on here and because of Seb's family but also because you were obviously in a younger generation.

What I don't like is the grizzling at the result and the clear inference that the club have rigged or fixed it. It sounds a bit like Remainiacs or Trumpism. Take your pick.

If you believe in the democratic process then you should accept defeat gracefully and, if you think there hasn't been one then maybe you and [MENTION=17456]The_Viper[/MENTION] need to be a bit more explicit. I suspect you don't believe it enough to risk the wrath of NSC and Paul Barber.

No it probably wasn’t rigged, as I know as a Labour campaigner, that millions of people can say they are voting on twitter and in reality it means nothing, I will just move on, but that was my opinion on the whole process, it was disappointing, but I think everyone involved will do a great job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No it probably wasn’t rigged, as I know as a Labour campaigner, that millions of people can say they are voting on twitter and in reality it means nothing, I will just move on, but that was my opinion on the whole process, it was disappointing, but I think everyone involved will do a great job.

Fair enough. Commiserations (I really did vote for you, my son follows you on Twitter). I'll stick with my point that if you want a certain demographic elected to anything then a) vote or b) if you can't vote, campaign before the fact or c) do both.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Firstly to address it, I didn't vote in the FAB, because I am not a STH nor a MyAlbion+ member. I live in the USA currently and so cannot attend any games, and haven't been able to since 2015, much to my chagrin. It pains me greatly to say I've never seen Albion play PL football in the flesh. Without those memberships you could not vote, and so I didn't. I don't think that means I am ineligible to point out the lack of representation on the board though, and I am surprised about the visceral response I've received for simply asking a question.

In answer to your question about getting the vote counts, this is then something you can, as someone with an online presence reach a good chunk of people in that target demographic to work out why. Were the people campaigning for these people like myself and based elsewhere so unable to vote? Were some of the youth members 5-10 votes off winning a place and it comes down to fine margins? Was it a case of elder fans avoiding voting for the youth because they believe every single person under aged 35 is a violent cocaine addict? The data can present all sorts of interesting information and allows people to dig into that to work out where the opportunity for that representation is falling short, for what its worth I would be asking the same questions if the FAB was all male. If it was a case of a handful of votes being the difference then its just unlucky, if its something else then a lot of these younger content creators can hold those conversations with thousands of fans in that demographic and work out what happened there in order to try and get that representation 2 years from now.

Thanks for the response.

Again, I'm not criticising you for questioning the process and ultimate representation, not least because I had similar thoughts. As a middle-aged man who attends games with my young son, my experiences and interactions with the club will be somewhat different to a twenty-something who attends with their mates, often building big days out around a game. That was me 20 years ago. Today, not so much.

I've got enough self-awareness to appreciate the difference, and I was confident there'd be enough blokes not dissimilar to me applying to see my own demographic represented, and possibly over-represented, on the FAB when formed.

Thanks for explaining what you'd like to see, as I previouslly understood you to wanting visibility of final vote counts for each candidate, but it seems you want a full demographic breakdown of those who voted. I can't see the club providing this, and I'd not blame them for that.

May I suggest you join MyAlbion+, at the very least if your personal circumstances haven't changed when this is repeated two years from now? Firstly, it will give you a vote and a voice. Beyond that though, with the Albion's global presence growing as we continue the Premier League adventure, I think a case could be made for the inclusion of an overseas fan on the FAB. There's a reasonable number of Albion exiles spread across the globe and a candidate running on a ticket to give those fans a voice may have a decent chance of being elected.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Fair enough. Commiserations (I really did vote for you, my son follows you on Twitter). I'll stick with my point that if you want a certain demographic elected to anything then a) vote or b) if you can't vote, campaign before the fact or c) do both.

It’s probably best I wasn’t representing the club, as I do have a tendency to speak my mind on social media, and sometimes just fall into incoherent rants (see last night), so all that is well that ends well, I’ll just go back to my occasional email correspondence with Paul Barber :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It really isn't rocket science - and yet here we are!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Genuinely disappointed that Seb Samrah didn’t get on this board, he had my vote, as someone who’s in his early 50’s I personally didn’t want the board to be populated by those of a certain age representing me, the likes of Seb and Jack are the true future of the fans of this club and both well connected with our past which cannot be forgotten.

Don’t give up Jack & Seb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Complete support for that.

Well I voted for the youngsters and surprised to see neither Paul Samrah's son or jack selected. The whole process left a lot to be desired quite frankly. There should have been more information on each candidate, not to invite bias but certainly more than we got given.

Yes 50 words was really a nonsense, you can't really put forward why you can make a difference in this role with that. Hopefully next time there'll be more info

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the response.

Again, I'm not criticising you for questioning the process and ultimate representation, not least because I had similar thoughts. As a middle-aged man who attends games with my young son, my experiences and interactions with the club will be somewhat different to a twenty-something who attends with their mates, often building big days out around a game. That was me 20 years ago. Today, not so much.

I've got enough self-awareness to appreciate the difference, and I was confident there'd be enough blokes not dissimilar to me applying to see my own demographic represented, and possibly over-represented, on the FAB when formed.

Thanks for explaining what you'd like to see, as I previouslly understood you to wanting visibility of final vote counts for each candidate, but it seems you want a full demographic breakdown of those who voted. I can't see the club providing this, and I'd not blame them for that.

May I suggest you join MyAlbion+, at the very least if your personal circumstances haven't changed when this is repeated two years from now? Firstly, it will give you a vote and a voice. Beyond that though, with the Albion's global presence growing as we continue the Premier League adventure, I think a case could be made for the inclusion of an overseas fan on the FAB. There's a reasonable number of Albion exiles spread across the globe and a candidate running on a ticket to give those fans a voice may have a decent chance of being elected.

Oh don't get me wrong, my primary ask is the visibility of the final vote counts for each candidate, I appreciate the demographic breakdown will be almost definitely a non goer and I understand that. But just the basic numbers would help answer some of the above questions I have into why the younger fans have failed to have any representation, beyond we're all lazy coke addicts that can't click two buttons on the internet that seems to be a prevailing theory.

I appreciate the suggestion around the MyAlbion + membership, I must admit I simply let all those things lapse the longer I've had to be in the US, can see the value in rejoining though, appreciate that :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here