Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fan Advisory Board Representatives .

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not at all…more that the younger fans (based on the small sample I see) don’t look at emails, aren’t on NSC and only follow nonsense stuff on Twitter, and given the actual voting wasn’t easy anyway (having to pick - people you’d never heard of - in every category) their lack of attention span would have made them give up before they’d finished voting anyway.

This is pretty unfair on a lot of young people who support the club, most that I know did vote, and to say its due to lack of attention span is just presumptuous. The club hardly publicised it at all. They're all pretty articulate and had many things that they wanted a say on, I know a lot of them don't feel like they know anyone on the board who they can suggest stuff to as they aren't on social media, it is what it is.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is pretty unfair on a lot of young people who support the club, most that I know did vote, and to say its due to lack of attention span is just presumptuous. The club hardly publicised it at all. They're all pretty articulate and had many things that they wanted a say on, I know a lot of them don't feel like they know anyone on the board who they can suggest stuff to as they aren't on social media, it is what it is.

To be fair, it was in the programme, on the club website, they sent an email as well.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
To be fair, it was in the programme, on the club website, they sent an email as well.

Agree it was in many places, but a lot of young people don't use those platforms, the email was encrypted link that got sent quite often to their parents account. They missed a trick with the way they publicised it, that's all I'm saying.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The FAB is just one of different ways that fans can engage and influence and lobby the club. Barber has often said about several issues - eg safe standing, fan singing - that he or his team would meet with groups of fans and hear ideas if they have them. Bloom and others quite often speak at fan groups - eg: Barber spoke at Seagulls over London last month. And clearly the club aren’t silent about responding to email, NSC threads even and lots of other places where fans have a platform. And so it goes on…that’s what marks out Albion compared to many other clubs…
I guess if one constituency of fans think they aren’t being listened to or represented and want to organise to change the club then they should go ahead and develop a platform where they have a voice and lobby for it. Won’t be long before the club engage with them…
I think Barber explicitly said when it was floated that the FAB was there to complement the activity above not replace it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So the under 35 age group are coke addled violent hooligans and now too inattentive and dumb to conduct a simple vote, and people wonder why the youth don't have ANY faith in the board members to represent them? Jesus wept it's absolutely ridiculous.

Again, this feels circular, but what's absolutely ridiculous is someone who didn't vote, isn't a member, doesn't go to games but does have a large online following, only complaining after the fact.

Unless you're alleging impropriety you have to accept the result. We all get the governments, referenda results and committees we deserve in a democratic process.

What I would hope is that FAB ask PB and the team what the voting turnout was and work constructively with the club to improve the process if it was low, rather than release detailed demographic data to someone who, frankly, couldn't be arsed until he didn't like the result.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree it was in many places, but a lot of young people don't use those platforms, the email was encrypted link that got sent quite often to their parents account. They missed a trick with the way they publicised it, that's all I'm saying.

Sure, and not having a pop at you at all. Good for you for trying, and if nothing else, it would be good if you can get your feedback heard via one of the electees that will be positive,I just don’t think the club is necessarily to blame for something that will be an evolving process.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not meant to be unfair - like I said, based on what I see from my son and his pals - they're far more social-media aware than I am, but complete agree that the club didn't seem to make a lot of effort to connect (and made the voting process overly irritating - how many gave up after trying ??), hence the lack of votes

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bit of a dickhead comment. Firstly, explain your perception of a younger fan? Teens? Early twenties? I know quite a few 'younger fans' who regularly attend both home and away and are fully engaged. Maybe your attention span is in question here!!

Thanks for the unnecessary insult. Read my response to [MENTION=21244]jackalbion[/MENTION].

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Sure, and not having a pop at you at all. Good for you for trying, and if nothing else, it would be good if you can get your feedback heard via one of the electees that will be positive,I just don’t think the club is necessarily to blame for something that will be an evolving process.

No neither do I, I think we've decided to lead the way with this, and that's a positive thing, but will never be perfect in its first run.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It’s happened now, they’ve got two years to make a decent contribution and I will support where I can. The club equally has a significant part to play in this.

Reserving judgment on the FAB concept until it’s played out for at least a year

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Again, this feels circular, but what's absolutely ridiculous is someone who didn't vote, isn't a member, doesn't go to games but does have a large online following, only complaining after the fact.

Unless you're alleging impropriety you have to accept the result. We all get the governments, referenda results and committees we deserve in a democratic process.

What I would hope is that FAB ask PB and the team what the voting turnout was and work constructively with the club to improve the process if it was low, rather than release detailed demographic data to someone who, frankly, couldn't be arsed until he didn't like the result.

Didn't vote: Not eligible to vote

Isn't a member: Not much value for money across the other side of the planet, although [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] who decided to have a decent conversation about it has probably persuaded me otherwise

Doesn't go to games:
Have been to hundreds cheers, not quite as accessible nowadays, is this another one of those things where people allude to people being bad fans based on the year they were born and stuff?

Does have a large online following: 1700, we have 1700 people follow the podcast account and about half that as regular listeners, for reference, Brightons twitter has over 500,000 followers, THAT is a large online following. How many voted? Could just 25% of our followers have made the difference? Or was it a vote that took thousands of votes onboard and 1700 is a drop in the ocean? We don't know, because the voter numbers have not been shared.

Alleging impropriety: Again, I am not alleging anything, why is it SO unreasonable to ask for the basic data around a democratic vote? Why is it SO unacceptable to simply ask a basic question to the winners of the vote?

You have to accept the result:
I'm not storming the AMEX like some January 6th nutter am I? I am simply asking "hey, a lot of people talked a good game that they would vote for younger candidates, I'd like to see how badly they were let down and use my online presence to discuss that with that demographic". I'm not calling for a revolution and to hang the FAB from the North Stand am I?

But please do continue to go off at me for simply asking a basic ****ing question, and one I can reiterate AGAIN because I am not the only person asking the question now, a LOT of younger fans are. Oh and unfortunately for you a lot of those fans maybe tick off the "real fan" boxes as well, so that's a bit awkward. But again, if you're too thick to understand basic English: To the FAB, what will you be doing as a group to ensure the entirety of the fanbase is well represented on the board, given the narrow age range of all the winners?

couldn't be arsed until he didn't like the result: I have frankly ignored this piece for far too long because I do not owe anyone an explanation of my life, but things have transpired that have not made the FAB a hugely important piece of my life throughout April and May. Outside of work, watching the Albion for 90 minutes and recording the podcast my life has been flipped upside down, and that's as much as I am willing to say at this point or ever, because I do not owe you anything. I didn't constitute a Fan Advisory Board and choosing a candidate to Champion as a hugely important thing for me to pay attention to a month ago, rest assured two years from now I'll make sure that looks very different.

Now, you're not a member of the FAB, and my question wasn't aimed at you, so I'd appreciate it if you just ignore me from here on out, because I'll be ignoring you. My question isn't to you, my concerns are wasted being aimed at you and you're simply trolling at this point, so please do leave me alone cheers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Didn't vote: Not eligible to vote

Isn't a member: Not much value for money across the other side of the planet, although [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] who decided to have a decent conversation about it has probably persuaded me otherwise

Doesn't go to games:
Have been to hundreds cheers, not quite as accessible nowadays, is this another one of those things where people allude to people being bad fans based on the year they were born and stuff?

Does have a large online following: 1700, we have 1700 people follow the podcast account and about half that as regular listeners, for reference, Brightons twitter has over 500,000 followers, THAT is a large online following. How many voted? Could just 25% of our followers have made the difference? Or was it a vote that took thousands of votes onboard and 1700 is a drop in the ocean? We don't know, because the voter numbers have not been shared.

Alleging impropriety: Again, I am not alleging anything, why is it SO unreasonable to ask for the basic data around a democratic vote? Why is it SO unacceptable to simply ask a basic question to the winners of the vote?

You have to accept the result:
I'm not storming the AMEX like some January 6th nutter am I? I am simply asking "hey, a lot of people talked a good game that they would vote for younger candidates, I'd like to see how badly they were let down and use my online presence to discuss that with that demographic". I'm not calling for a revolution and to hang the FAB from the North Stand am I?

But please do continue to go off at me for simply asking a basic ****ing question, and one I can reiterate AGAIN because I am not the only person asking the question now, a LOT of younger fans are. Oh and unfortunately for you a lot of those fans maybe tick off the "real fan" boxes as well, so that's a bit awkward. But again, if you're too thick to understand basic English: To the FAB, what will you be doing as a group to ensure the entirety of the fanbase is well represented on the board, given the narrow age range of all the winners?

couldn't be arsed until he didn't like the result: I have frankly ignored this piece for far too long because I do not owe anyone an explanation of my life, but things have transpired that have not made the FAB a hugely important piece of my life throughout April and May. Outside of work, watching the Albion for 90 minutes and recording the podcast my life has been flipped upside down, and that's as much as I am willing to say at this point or ever, because I do not owe you anything. I didn't constitute a Fan Advisory Board and choosing a candidate to Champion as a hugely important thing for me to pay attention to a month ago, rest assured two years from now I'll make sure that looks very different.

Now, you're not a member of the FAB, and my question wasn't aimed at you, so I'd appreciate it if you just ignore me from here on out, because I'll be ignoring you. My question isn't to you, my concerns are wasted being aimed at you and you're simply trolling at this point, so please do leave me alone cheers.

Wow.

Yeah, let's leave most of that tantrum where it belongs and focus in on one thing. Every vote counts in every democratic process. You had the chance to influence 1700 of them. You chose to influence zero.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Wow.

Yeah, let's leave most of that tantrum where it belongs and focus in on one thing. Every vote counts in every democratic process. You had the chance to influence 1700 of them. You chose to influence zero.

I wouldn’t really describe it as a tantrum when someone has detailed why they didn’t get involved in the voting process because of a difficult period occurring in their personal life.

I’m glad to see many of the issues raised by [MENTION=17456]The_Viper[/MENTION] have also been mentioned by other posters. Ultimately, we’re all fans of the club and we’re all aware of the history and the importance that fan action has played, so everyone is coming at this debate from a position of wanting the FAB to work and be a useful conduit between club and fan base. With that in mind, I really don’t think it is unreasonable to raise some of the points raised and ask some of the questions asked.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I wouldn’t really describe it as a tantrum when someone has detailed why they didn’t get involved in the voting process because of a difficult period occurring in their personal life.

I’m glad to see many of the issues raised by [MENTION=17456]The_Viper[/MENTION] have also been mentioned by other posters. Ultimately, we’re all fans of the club and we’re all aware of the history and the importance that fan action has played, so everyone is coming at this debate from a position of wanting the FAB to work and be a useful conduit between club and fan base. With that in mind, I really don’t think it is unreasonable to raise some of the points raised and ask some of the questions asked.

He was tweeting about other stuff Albion related though. Just not in support of Seb and Jack.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
He was tweeting about other stuff Albion related though. Just not in support of Seb and Jack.

If you listen to the show you'd realise we have THREE co-hosts, who all have access to the Twitter and Instagram feeds. Please, PLEASE **** off man, stop @ing me, stop mentioning me, leave me be and stop harassing me. You're a grown ****ing man, act like one you absolute weirdo.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If you listen to the show you'd realise we have THREE co-hosts, who all have access to the Twitter and Instagram feeds. Please, PLEASE **** off man, stop @ing me, stop mentioning me, leave me be and stop harassing me. You're a grown ****ing man, act like one you absolute weirdo.

That's worse. Three of you and not a single one could be arsed to publicly back a candidate aged under 30 or explain the voting process.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
That's worse. Three of you and not a single one could be arsed to publicly back a candidate aged under 30 or explain the voting process.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] this is a mod? You're good with this? I've asked to be left alone and this is continuing. This user cannot answer my question, has no interest other than trolling, acting like a prick and stirring the pot. If you're going to continue to allow this can you just delete my account please? If you won't, can you instruct me on the easiest way to get banned so I can go ahead and do that?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Viper what's your Podcast please? Also, have you had a beer?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I suspect he feels singled out for making the same points and asking the same questions that quite a few posters on this thread have.

Whether or he chose to get involved in the campaigning for this election, and he’s given a pretty decent reason as to why he personally didn’t, it shouldn’t preclude anyone from raising quite relevant questions. That’s just my opinion though. Appreciate others might feel differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here