Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer's Location

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
then were would the station go?

???

I didn't know that it was even banded about as a potential site to be honest, shed some light please?

He means on the MASSIVE area of wasteland that was next to it but that has now been built on. It was ruled out cos of £££ but wouldve been immense.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Edit due to Notters info

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
The station car park, where the sunday market is, the one time Brighton Locomotive Works. I think it was one of the original 5 sites suggested - the main problem with it was that the land belonged to British Rail (or Network Rail or whatever) and was very valuable.

I didn't think it was big enough if i'm honest, but i'm obviously wrong! :amex:

Oct 25, 2003
then were would the station go?

???

I didn't know that it was even banded about as a potential site to be honest, shed some light please?

i think the stadium was going to go on part of what is now the new england quarter

but it was always a no-go as the land had already be sold (i think)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Brighton station would have been incredible - although I imagine idiots not capable of understanding how trains work would cause carnage on the roads. (and yes, it was unavailable)

What was the argument against Waterhall, out of interest? Obviously Falmer Station is in a miles better location than Preston Park, but what were the other issues with it?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Brighton station would have been incredible - although I imagine idiots not capable of understanding how trains work would cause carnage on the roads. (and yes, it was unavailable)

What was the argument against Waterhall, out of interest? Obviously Falmer Station is in a miles better location than Preston Park, but what were the other issues with it?

Outside the bypass, so on the green belt was one of them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The council would never have allowed it, as its OUTSIDE the bypass. You would think that building a halt at waterhall would be easily doable, as the trainline is right there, but apparently that is massively expensive :shrug:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The council would never have allowed it, as its OUTSIDE the bypass. You would think that building a halt at waterhall would be easily doable, as the trainline is right there, but apparently that is massively expensive :shrug:

IIRC they wouldn't have been allowed to build a station there because of the proximity to Patcham tunnel or something.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And some rule / law / policy about building new stations on mainline tracks.

And something about the water table at Waterhall. Build on it, Patcham floods. Something like that.

Oh, and the expense of building new roads into the Waterhall site.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Shoreham Harbour was another one of the proposed sites - was there only five in total?

More like 8 or 9 I think.

The infuriating thing was that any old cackbadger from LDC, CPRE or whoever, could pull a site out of his arse and say "the club hasn't investigated THIS as a potential site for the stadium", and the club would then have to go and produce yet MORE evidence at the Enquiry as to why that proposal was also complete and utter BOBBINS.

Hence the ludicrous and patently unworkable (to anyone with half a braincell) suggestions of the likes of Beeding and Shoreham Harbour. Timewasting delaying tactics every step of the way, and those wankers set us back YEARS with bollocks like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here