Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Webcam - influence the Club

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The view from the current webcam at Falmer has been brilliant so far. It has some limitations, but any position would have that. It seems that the club may be getting irked by the fact that we keep asking for a new (better) position. We understand why they are keeping it in one place but suspect it may become obscured as the South Stand and the East Stand roof go up.

So why not let the club know how you feel - we're grateful that they have put up the cam - and the fact that is is compulsive viewing is the only reason we are asking for another site/more cams.

Edit: meant to add a poll to this thread. Options:

I often look at the webcam and would love another angle now please.
I often look at the webcam and think it's OK
I don't often look at the webcam

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I understood that it was being left in one location to allow for continuity on the time lapse at the end. I think Ask The Falmer Team said that there were no plans for an additional/alternative cam recently.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Surely if the view becomes obscured they will move it anyway?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
From the Project Office reply a few days ago:

"You can already see the steelwork being erected on the south stand. The camera is sited so that you get the maximum amount of the stadium as it is built from one position. We will be making special film and photographs available when the arches are erected. "

Suggests to me that ther will not be another cam or position.

Everyone appreciates the webcam but I'm not sure the club realise how popular it is.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Appreciate the need for present camera to stay in place for time frame etc, but surely all we are asking for is ANOTHER camera rather than a replacement of existing one.

Surely its not gonna break the budget?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Yeah another camera would be great but wherever they place it, the view will be restricted at some point - we can see all we need from the pictures many of the posters (Jack Straw etc.) here provide.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Someone noted that the club supply the cam (nd it's a good one apparently) foc for the fans entertainment and they're getting hacked off because we are all moaning about the view.

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we made our appreciation known but where we could also lobby for a new position. Was just and idea really.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Couldn't they put one in Falmer Village ?
My understanding was that the stadium would be ENTIRELY visible from there. Sounds like the perfect spot for an additional webcam position to see the rest of the stadium going up.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My understanding was that the stadium would be ENTIRELY visible from there. Sounds like the perfect spot for an additional webcam position to see the rest of the stadium going up.
Interesting thing happened to me last Friday night. My Mrs and I were in The Swan in Falmer (as we are every summer Friday evening) when about eight or nine blokes came in from a golf day. These weren't yobbos, they were all well spoken, neatly dressed with collars and ties and they were all in their 50s and 60s. They asked to see the Landlord, and when he came downstairs they said wasn't it brilliant that he could see the stadium from his pub! I couldn't believe it! The landlord just smiled and nodded and said "Evening chaps, how are you?" and didn't throw them out even when one said: "Of course that's just the East Stand, wait until the West Stand goes up, that's going to be the biggie!"

It was quite surreal.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
If the club doesn't want to budge fair enough. We'll just have to get Jack Straw to take photos every fifteen minutes, every day until Stad du Falmer is finished.

:thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I assume the club must be paying for the arial shots and if so that must cost a bob or two, I would rather do without regular ones of those for a second webcam

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I assume the club must be paying for the arial shots and if so that must cost a bob or two, I would rather do without regular ones of those for a second webcam

Really ? I wouldn't. Its the aerial ones that often give me a raging STONKER, as you can really take in the scale of it and piece together whats going to happen and where.

The webcam is great, but I LOVES the aerials.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing

Good call. A Web cam put on top of a 200 foot pole and inserted in the duck pond should do the trick.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Wasn't there some chap on here a few weeks/months ago with a camera on top of a sodding great pole??

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
I'd thought the view would get obliterated but now I'm having second thoughts. Need to remember that the camera is very wide angle and ther's a huge amount of distortion going on in the foreground. Anyway...

The south stand terracing stops just to the right of the 'Trident submarine conning tower' of the thrust wall.

There's a very big gap between this and the east stand terracing, as is clear from the artist's impressions of the stadium.

We'll get a view of things going on behind the south stand steelworks - something we were all moaning about not seeing with the east stand. And maybe we'll still see a substantial bit of the west stand and the north in all its glory.

Just can't work out what happens to the view on the great day that the roof truss meets up with the thrust wall. Anyway we'll know by the end of November.

Perhaps we should stop bleating until then.

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
There is nothing wrong with where the web-cam is.
If anybody cares to study the plans, they will find that it will show:-
NEARLY ALL the East Stand
ALL the North Stand
The MAJOR PART of the West Stand
MOST of the internal gubbins of the South Stand
TERRIFIC views of the roof and arches
As strange as it may seem, a lot of thought has been put into the positioning of this camera, it wasn't just stuck where it is for fun you know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here