Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer v Goldstone debate.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Met a mate at the parade today who keeps harping back to the Goldstone. Of course it holds memories for everybody, and is the place where most of us saw professional football for the first time, and therefore will forever be the 'Albion'. But he still feels we should be at the Goldstone. Won't bore everyone with the history of us 'leaving' the Goldstone, but I feel that in a few years to come we'll look back at the Goldstone as another chapter. My personal view is if we were still at the Goldstone we would not get Falmer or another site. Surely the situation that we are in at present has forced the Council's hand to do all in its power to re-house us. If we had a home, there would be less urgency on their part. So the pain should be worth it in the long run. Come on Prescott, Decision Time...................

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
You saying bellotti and co done the right thing then flogging the goldstone as we now have a future new stadium on the horizon.

Cheers bellotti and co:clap:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No club should exit it's ground without having the new one built and ready for action... even Crawley made sure their new one was in place b4 exiting their old ground... any other course of action is ridiculous... we are still suffering the consequences...

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
berkshire seagull said:
You saying bellotti and co done the right thing then flogging the goldstone as we now have a future new stadium on the horizon.

Cheers bellotti and co:clap:

I didn't like the way it was handled but if the ultimate result is Falmer then yes!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
b.w.2. said:
No club should exit it's ground without having the new one built and ready for action... even Crawley made sure their new one was in place b4 exiting their old ground... any other course of action is ridiculous... we are still suffering the consequences...

Twenty five years ago Bamber was talking about a new stadium at Waterhall, Toad's Hole Valley etc etc. There were that many models of stadiums produced nobody was sure which plan was the flavour of the month. All the time the Albion were at the Goldstone the Council were not willing to go along with any of these plans.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
On the day of our first game at Falmer, I will raise a glass to Bill Archer, because we would never have got there without him.
If however we don't get Falmer ,I will continue to hate his guts.
The futures' history will decide.:drink:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
dougdeep said:
On the day of our first game at Falmer, I will raise a glass to Bill Archer, because we would never have got there without him.
If however we don't get Falmer ,I will continue to hate his guts.
The futures' history will decide.:drink:

Personaly on the day we play our first game at Falmer, i will raise a glass to Dick Knight, without who Falmer would be a dream still. At the same time i will publicly be sticking two fingers up at Archer, for his attempt to distroy our club.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wardywonderland said:
Personaly on the day we play our first game at Falmer, i will raise a glass to Dick Knight, without who Falmer would be a dream still.

Me too, In fact I may raise many glasses[just to be sociable]:drink:

Curious Orange said:
Come on people, if we were still at the Goldstone we wouldn't NEED Falmer.
Spot on mate,We could have done what Fulham have done with the cottage and made it a 20-25000 all seater easy ,what with the money that has been spent on Withdean and the Falmer application/public enquiry,we shall never forgive those (sorry ladies)Kunts as long as the stripes go marching on.:angry: :angry:
And relax...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My heart told me that we could have rebuilt The Goldstone one side at a time but would we have been better off then we are now crowd and income wise. OK we would have owned the ground but we would have had trouble from the council re parking etc.

My head tells me that the way we lost the ground should NEVER happen to any club but we have gone so far lets finish the job and build Falmer. Come on Prescott give us an answer soon!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
whitelion said:
Twenty five years ago Bamber was talking about a new stadium at Waterhall, Toad's Hole Valley etc etc. There were that many models of stadiums produced nobody was sure which plan was the flavour of the month. All the time the Albion were at the Goldstone the Council were not willing to go along with any of these plans.

You might like to factor in the controlling party of B&H Council for all of those years. If they had still been in charge when the applications for Falmer (and more importantly Withdean) were being put through the system we'd still be playing our games at Gillingham. Remind yourselves also who gave planning permission ahead of time for the retail park that occupies hallowed ground.

When we play our first game at Falmer I will raise a glass to Dick Knight, Martin Perry and every single person who helped us get there but Bill f***ing Archer and his scotch guzzling sidekick Stanley won't be included.

...and breathe.

How can any sane person even jokingly think of thanking Archer for us getting Falmer? It's a joke right? Good-for a minute there I thought you were being serious!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Goldstone could have been redeveloped easily, would have save this travesty of justice we've been through

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
sully said:
Where do you get the 10,500 from?

The only mention of that figure I can see is relating to the number of SEATS after one proposed development. It wasn't the proposed CAPACITY.

Granted. But it was enough for the club to start looking elsewhere. From my recollection because the site occupied 4 and a half acres and because there was a height restriction of 50 feet for the height of the stand above the playing surface on the East side the capacity could only be 15,000 for an all-seater stadium. The talk of doing what has or is being done to Craven Cottage could not have been done at the Goldstone.

From the report:

The huge increase in support encouraged Albion to try to improve their lot, either by developing the Goldstone or seeking another ground. In 1976 the club bid for that perennial favourite, the greyhound stadium, but lost out to Corals, the present owners. In 1978, Albion announced plans for a 3,240-seat East Stand including 20 hospitality boxes, and for a second tier on the West Stand. The scheme would have given the ground 10,500 seats, but by the end of the season the club was looking instead to a new stadium. Chairman Mike Bamber talked with Brighton Council about Waterhall but to no avail. Sheepcote Valley was also mentioned. Even Gatwick came into the picture as Bamber vainly pursued a joint development with arch-rivals Crystal Palace in 1980.

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Curious Orange said:
Come on people, if we were still at the Goldstone we wouldn't NEED Falmer.

What? Stuck in a dilapidated ground which only had a limited (15,000) potential for an all-seater. :nono:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here