Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Station

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sorry if this has been discussed but what are they doing to the station in anticipation for the new Stadium?:falmer:

Bugger, good call, I wonder if the club have thought about that, you'd best get onto Dick Knight right away and let him know.

It's not just a question of the length of train that can be accommodated at Falmer Station. You also have to answer the question about which platforms will be available at Brighton and Lewes, if extra trains run.

And, on top of that, you have to take into account the numbers of non-football travellers. There is a reason why five trains an hour run between Lewes and Brighton at the moment. It's to do with the fact that there is already a big demand for train services from people who have no interest in football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Exactly. Its not like its going to be empty trains turning up at the station after the game.
They might already be RAMMED

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...And, on top of that, you have to take into account the numbers of non-football travellers. There is a reason why five trains an hour run between Lewes and Brighton at the moment. It's to do with the fact that there is already a big demand for train services from people who have no interest in football.

Exactly. Its not like its going to be empty trains turning up at the station after the game.
They might already be RAMMED

I think the non-footie people would soon learn that it wasn't the best time to travel.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You can easily squeeze 600 people onto a 3 carriage train.

It's not just a question of the length of train that can be accommodated at Falmer Station. You also have to answer the question about which platforms will be available at Brighton and Lewes, if extra trains run.

And, on top of that, you have to take into account the numbers of non-football travellers. There is a reason why five trains an hour run between Lewes and Brighton at the moment. It's to do with the fact that there is already a big demand for train services from people who have no interest in football.

I remember you posted something on the club's transport questionnaire a few weeks back but do find the entire process a bit "arse about face"? They are asking current STHs what mode of transport (excl car) they intend to use a Falmer without providing any concise info on the facilities, services etc that will be available and are seemingly reluctant to publish anything about the proposed transport management scheme.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It cant be more of a shambles than the buses back to Brighton situation at the moment.

I don't know why there is so much focus on trains. Surely for those wanting to go back into Brighton the 25 bus is just as good an option. It's those of us living north of Brighton who will have a problem on weekdays if anyone does. At present, Haywards Heath via Lewes after an evening game is not an option. Don't know if Southern plan to change their timetables before Falmer opens.

Good grief! Are there really such people? "People who have no interest in football"

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I don't know why there is so much focus on trains. Surely for those wanting to go back into Brighton the 25 bus is just as good an option.

Jesus, I haven't read the Guinness Book Of Records since Norris McWhirter's twin brother was alive, anyone care to look-up the record number of people who can get on a number 25 bus? Is it 12,000?

Personally, we've been thinking about jumping on the 28 bus at The Pantiles in Tun Wells, getting off at Falmer, and having a few beers on the 80minute journey - bit concerned about wee stops, though.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
But the Ashford train is rammed when it gets to Polegate, it is only two carriages long

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
4.30pm would be a very good time. Not much of a difference.

You seem to think that everyone knows or cares what time football is being played on any given day, I would imagine most people wouldn't give it a thought unless they were at the match.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
queues at the station after the match mean only one thing....stay in the ground bars getting hammered until it clears...nice!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You seem to think that everyone knows or cares what time football is being played on any given day, I would imagine most people wouldn't give it a thought unless they were at the match.

It wouldn't be difficult to advertise the fact at the railway stations, would it?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think this is being blown up out of proportion. There are 91 other football grounds around England (OK, 2 in Wales) and they all have a transport system which works to one extent or another, there will always be congestion, it happens at every other ground, Falmer will be no different. It will take a bit of time to settle down, but with a train station, new 8m wide footbridge, new road flyover and car parking on the University site, the park & ride scheme, normal bus services, matchday bus services, combined with the option to stay behind after matches for a beer, I'm sure it will all shake itself down and get sorted fairly promptly. Just chill :smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here