Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer pub/bar on-site

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Now I was thinking about pre-match beverages the other day and it occured to me that this is either drink quite far from the ground i.e Lewes road end or god forbid hikers rest or try my luck in the tiny world of the swan and that will be 3x pints each per bar visit!

I have read and heard about the concourse bars available inside the staduim which got me thinking.

I think it would have been class to have an albion style sports bar on the site...few pool tables and also open 7 days a week with albion showing on the screens like has been mentioned for inside the ground, maybe on the left hand side as you drive in. This would be in the style of Shearer's bar for Newcastle.

Just a thought, im not sure how it stands in regards to planning regs and licenses and extra cost implications for stewarding and policing but if the club owned and ran it then it surely would be profitable and instead of Lewes road drinking and the traffic/train congestion many people would use it as to get in and around the ground early.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's the situation with the Swan? I've heard a variety of stories including the previous owner and anti-Falmer exponent dying and the pub now being Albion friendly?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
What's the situation with the Swan? I've heard a variety of stories including the previous owner and anti-Falmer exponent dying and the pub now being Albion friendly?

Article in the Argus had the new owners saying they would be crazy to turn down the potential money they could make on Saturdays, so they are now Albion friendly!

Oct 25, 2003
the difference with shearers bar is that SJP is basically in the city centre, so it's got constant trade (although shearers is usually empty anyway)

would people really go all the way to falmer for a pint during the week?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth

Yes the owner unfortunately recently died, but it was my belief he came to his senses and gave in and announced it would be albion freindly anyhow.

I think it will be open match days, they would be mad not to be, but its so small and i can see unless you get there at 12 or before...many will walk and see that its too crammed and end up inside the ground when they open the gates at 1pm ish.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
the difference with shearers bar is that SJP is basically in the city centre, so it's got constant trade (although shearers is usually empty anyway)

would people really go all the way to falmer for a pint during the week?

Well you have students on your doorstep, the gym right next door and a fluttering of albion.

The main business of course would be match days.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If the Concourse areas are as swish as we are told I am sure that many fans will find it convenient to get to the ground early :thumbsup:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
the uni and gym already have bars

i really see no point in having a 7 days a week bar......

Ok lets not have it open 7 days per week. Let have the imaginary bar only open on match days.

It opens at 8am and serves full english breakfasts all day and shuts at 10pm.

The Lee Steele bar serves an array of beers, soft drinks and fine wines from around the globe, its shirt freindly and theres even a punch machine if you live in Bevendean or Moulscoombe and you feel left out!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You will shortly see the club put in an application for a "cafe" at the North end of the ground. This "cafe" will have a license. Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out where that is going...

Oct 25, 2003
yeah, i'm all for decent bars on a match day.......i think it'd be a decent money spinner AND it has the advantage of getting people there early and leaving late which'll help with congestion (particularly after)

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
yeah, i'm all for decent bars on a match day.......i think it'd be a decent money spinner AND it has the advantage of getting people there early and leaving late which'll help with congestion (particularly after)

Exactly my freind. I cant imagine many of the non 1901 club style fans hanging about after 5pm in a concourse bar, whereas I could be convinced to walk over to the Steele bar for a pint and watch the goals on the tv screens and maybe even the 5.15 prem game on tv, might even get another full english!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
With reference to The Swan and The Hikers wont it be great to have "home fans only" pubs like we do on away games.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
You will shortly see the club put in an application for a "cafe" at the North end of the ground. This "cafe" will have a license. Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out where that is going...

How big is this going to be?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
it better have a f***ing carvery

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here