Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Parish Council requested to re-open the Inquiry just 2 months ago..

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
Press release in full taken from Norman Baker's website:

Local MP disappointed by government’s decision on Falmer stadium

Commenting on the Department for Communities and Local Government’s decision today to give the green light to build a new stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion at Falmer, Norman Baker said:

"I am disappointed, but not surprised by today’s decision and think that the time has come to accept the final whistle on this issue. While I do not agree with their position or look forward to the stadium being built at Falmer, there is no doubt that the club and particularly its fans have fought a hard and effective campaign and are to be congratulated.

"That said, it would now be prudent for the club and fans celebrating today to acknowledge the errors made throughout this process and to both concede that, for many of those opposing the stadium there was an important and quite proper principle at stake, that the land at Falmer was designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and that the deliberate depiction of those people opposed to the stadium on planning grounds as evil, football-hating people was unfortunate and unfair.

"If this can be done I am confident that all sides will be able to now look to the future and co-operate to deal with the next stages as constructively and sensibly as possible."

Source - http://www.normanbaker.org.uk/press_releases/2007/070724_Falmer.htm

Sussex Express.

This has been in the Argus;

From The Argus

NORMAN BAKER, Lib Dem MP for Lewes, has been a long-standing opponent of the
stadium.

He said he does not believe the anti-stadium lobby should mount a further
legal challenge.

He said: "I'm disappointed, but not surprised at the decision.

"I'm sure there is scope for further action, and that's up to anybody who
wants to take action in the courts.

"But as far as I'm concerned we should call it a day."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here