Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Falmer Or We Vote Tory"

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
I'm not being funny, but how? The planning inspectorate is a totally seperate body from both the ODPM and the Labour Party. It is the Inspectorate's decision whether they fall for the stalling tactics from Lewes. The ODPM and the LP can't "order" the Inspectorate not to.

I read in the last couple of days, either on here or in the Argus, that Ivor Caplin was planning on asking the Audit Commision to take a close look at Lewes District Council's apparent ineffiency in being able to respond to the timescales of the Inquiry. That's exactly the kind of scrutiny these people need to be put under.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've been doing some research, and actually forming a "Seagulls Party" may be difficult. The Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act was designed to stop people registering as "Literal Democrats" and "Conversatives" to confuse voters.

You now have to register a political party with the Electoral Commission before you stand in any local or general election.

From the website:

"In order to register a political party, a group must submit the following information to the Commission:

* an application form giving details of: the party name; at least two party officers; where in the UK the party is to be registered; and whether the party will have any accounting units;
* a copy of the party's constitution;
* a financial scheme showing how the party will comply with the financial controls;
* a fee of £150.

The Commission cannot register a party if it fails to supply all the relevant information, and can refuse to register a party if it considers that the name of the party may cause offence or confusion with other parties.

Once a party is registered with the Commission, it is required to ensure that it maintains an accurate entry on the register of political parties. Changes to party details must be forwarded to the Commission, and an annual confirmation of details must also be submitted."

More info at http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/regulatory-issues/legregpoliticalparti.cfm

I, however, would be WELL up for annoying Lewes council by sticking up a candidate in every ward in Lewes... if we could find the volunteers.. in May.

Last edited:

Steve Bassam made an interesting point at tonight's Albion fringe meeting at the Labour Party Conference.

Baker originally got elected in Lewes because the Labour vote collapsed, as people went tactical voting for the Lib Dems to keep the Tories out. Baker knows this.

Since the Tory vote in his constituency remains fairly buoyant, Baker is now vulnerable to the threat of new-style tactical voting to keep him out.

But don't wait for the election. Start making that threat a real one NOW!

And remember - the prospective Tory candidate in the Lewes constituency is on the record as supporting Falmer Stadium.

The Public Inquiry will resume well before the general election is announced. We need to scare the Lib Dems away from funding NIMBY opposition at the Inquiry. Raising the threat of an anti-Baker Tory tactical vote may well be a very powerful card to play.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Buzza, read my signature. By the way, have you moved to West Hoathly yet? We need to meet for some :drink: and we could give lifts to home games.

Don't need to WHS. I'm only down the road in HH.

We can still have some :drink: :drink:

Happy to catch train to home games!!

more :drink: :drink: (No driving)

:)

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I, however, would be WELL up for annoying Lewes council by sticking up a candidate in every ward in Lewes... if we could find the volunteers.. in May.
The next District Council elections in Lewes are not due until 3 May 2007.

:(

But there are elections for East Sussex County Council on 5 May 2005.

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I've been doing some research, and actually forming a "Seagulls Party" may be difficult. The Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act was designed to stop people registering as "Literal Democrats" and "Conversatives" to confuse voters.

You now have to register a political party with the Electoral Commission before you stand in any local or general election.

From the website:

"In order to register a political party, a group must submit the following information to the Commission:

* an application form giving details of: the party name; at least two party officers; where in the UK the party is to be registered; and whether the party will have any accounting units;
* a copy of the party's constitution;
* a financial scheme showing how the party will comply with the financial controls;
* a fee of £150.

The Commission cannot register a party if it fails to supply all the relevant information, and can refuse to register a party if it considers that the name of the party may cause offence or confusion with other parties.

Once a party is registered with the Commission, it is required to ensure that it maintains an accurate entry on the register of political parties. Changes to party details must be forwarded to the Commission, and an annual confirmation of details must also be submitted."

More info at http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/regulatory-issues/legregpoliticalparti.cfm

That is a very good idea, I for one will contribute £20 to the fighting fund, let me know (pm) if you take this up seriously, sadly a Seagulls candidate in my area would confuse the voters no-end, they would think I was a Weston-Super-Mare FC supporter.

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
Lord Bracknell said:
Steve Bassam made an interesting point at tonight's Albion fringe meeting at the Labour Party Conference.

Baker originally got elected in Lewes because the Labour vote collapsed, as people went tactical voting for the Lib Dems to keep the Tories out. Baker knows this.

Since the Tory vote in his constituency remains fairly buoyant, Baker is now vulnerable to the threat of new-style tactical voting to keep him out.

But don't wait for the election. Start making that threat a real one NOW!

And remember - the prospective Tory candidate in the Lewes constituency is on the record as supporting Falmer Stadium.

The Public Inquiry will resume well before the general election is announced. We need to scare the Lib Dems away from funding NIMBY opposition at the Inquiry. Raising the threat of an anti-Baker Tory tactical vote may well be a very powerful card to play.

And why should people vote for the party (Tories) which voted against the stadium on Brighton and Hove Council? Doesn't make any sense at all!

It sounds to me like the Brighton Labour Party are using the issue as a political football. They don't like anyone else than Labour beating the Tories - removing Baker would remove a prominent independent voice in Sussex who doesn't belong to either Labour or the Tories, and who, on many other issues, has been proved right (this is the one he has called wrong). Sussex needs alternative political voices outside the two party establishment.

Lord Bassam should instead be explaining why the government took so long to respond to the inspector's report.

I disagree with Baker on Falmer, but there are other issues in a general election to consider before casting your vote.

An anti-Lib Dem campaign which is obviously driven by both Labour and Tory politicians will do nothing to help get Falmer built. I fear that it will just serve to drive more people into the NIMBY camp. Remember that if Falmer gets the green light, the Albion will need to work with Lewes District Council on access roads etc.

Oval Gull said:
And why should people vote for the party (Tories) which voted against the stadium on Brighton and Hove Council? Doesn't make any sense at all!
No they didn't. ONE Tory voted against. The others voted in favour of the application.

Oval Gull said:
Remember that if Falmer gets the green light, the Albion will need to work with Lewes District Council on access roads etc.
No they won't. East Sussex County Council is the Highway Authority for the Woodingdean road at Falmer. They raised no highway objections to the Falmer planning application.

Last edited:

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
As you can see by my avatar I am probably considered a right winger but I am a realist and I honestly believe that it is of supreme importance that the City of Brighton and Hove stay Labour and therefore we do not need a Seagull candidate in the City, but Lewes now there is a tempting challenge we really could ruffle the Lib Dems feather's and let Norm and his nimbys know that we mean business.
If the SP is formed put me down for a donation.:falmerspi

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
Lord Bracknell said:
No they didn't. ONE Tory voted against. The others voted in favour of the application.

But still true to say that the only party rep on the committee to vote against was a Tory. Why support the only party who voted against the planning application if you want to see Falmer built? Still doesn't make any sense!

Fair dos if people want to run a "Seagulls Party" candidate in Lewes/Brighton/wherever, but my point was that supporting one of the main parties above another leaves supporters and - by default the club - open to accusations of being politically biased.

No they won't. East Sussex County Council is the Highway Authority for the Woodingdean road at Falmer. They raised no highway objections to the Falmer planning application.

There might be other "knock-on" issues (eg around stewarding) that the local planning authority would want to comment on.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
You are determined Oval Gull, I'll give you that :bounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here