Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Falmer Or We Vote Tory"

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Loudest song of the night by far was "Falmer Or We Vote Tory" (to the tune of 'Stand Up If you Want Falmer')

They can't say they haven't been warned.

:clap:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
spoke to a few deligates in the fiddlers after the march who basically said exactly the same "we have to say yes or we'll lose seats"

I had a long conversation with David and Jeanne Lepper before the march started.

They are totally behind the campaign and have been since we first arrived at Withdean. Jeanne chaired the Planning Committee which fought off the NIMBYs to get us back in Brighton. She was talking about how unpleasant the residents of Withdean were at the time - in contrast to the Albion supporters who wrote polite letters to her.

They really don't deserve to lose their seats at Westminster and the City Council respectively.

That said, after today, I'm very confident we'll get Falmer. We'd still win a beauty contest against any group of NIMBYs - at Withdean or Falmer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That was the chant that beat me. I tried to join in but the words stuck in my throat, I couldn't even say it in jest.

Blimey, Lord B, if we would win a beauty contest against the NIMBIES, what must they look like; the love children of Iain Dowie and Ann Widdicombe?

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
The real issue now is - how DO we vote in May (if it is May, and I'm not as convinced as some)? If the decision isn't made before then, would we be committing political suicide if the voters of Brighton & Hove chose any other option?

Perhaps the only way forward is to start a Falmer party in LEWES, and try to reduce Stormin Norman's vote.

I still don't get why Lewes District Council can take so much time, and spend so much money, on an issue which impacts such a very small number of their rate payers.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
beardy gull said:
spoke to a few deligates in the fiddlers after the march who basically said exactly the same "we have to say yes or we'll lose seats"

That's democracy for ya! What the majority wants, the majority gets. Apparently......

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Talk Sport are really behind us with Gerry Armstrong commenting, The issue is finally coming to the attention of people outside of Brighton.

One of my mates up here in the North has asked me "Who the F*** are these people in Brighton trying to stop the ground!"

Well Nimby's I believe you are now losing your fight!!!

:falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer: :falmer:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lord Bracknell said:

They really don't deserve to lose their seats at Westminster and the City Council respectively.

I see what you're saying but it effectively leaves us with no voter power on this issue at all.

Regardless Mr Lepper won't be getting my vote if -

a) We get a NO

b) The final decision hasn't been made by the election.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think it was one of those songs that was ment to raise a smile rather than give a true opinion.

Also, if the outcome is not known before the election, will this just mean more delays. The new DPM would have to get up to speed on the enquiries etc along with all of the other work outstanding when they take office.

Also would the staff at the ODPM have to change if the Tory's won ?

Would a Tory be more NIMBY sympathetic ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The staff at the ODPM remain the same - they're civil servants.

The Tories themselves are opposed to the notion of a National Park. Personally, if the Tories won the General Election (extremely unlikely), I think that this process is too far down the line for it to be reversed. I think that Labour wil get in with a vastly reduced majority - and both Prescott and Blair will retain their posts. They are both in very safe Labour constituencies.

Coincidentally, Daisy is trying to move her school to Westdene, and the residents certainly having their say. I don't want to say too much, but they are an unusual lot...

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Large One said:

Coincidentally, Daisy is trying to move her school to Westdene, and the residents certainly having their say. I don't want to say too much, but they are an unusual lot...

How rude ! :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here