Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer in the Metro today

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Lord Bracknell said:
He's on 5Live later.

I feel better for that, just think its a more effective platform to get the message across.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rougvie said:
I stand corrected.

I think it is reasonably common knowledge and maybe a "slow" news day ?

More news, suicide at Clapham Common so a sparse service to Victoria this morning :angry: :angry:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
So get writing, everyone.... it does work. I remember when Bill Archer was named in the Mail on Sunday's Rich List as a high-flying DIY magnate. So many Brighton fans wrote in to, er, "correct" them, that the next piece on Archer they published was entitled "Is this man fit to run a company?" :lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

What's interesting is that, like the rest of the national media, the BBC received an embargoed press release from CPRE and chose to run an item giving the counter-arguments.

They had the option of featuring any one of nine highlighted locations and chose Falmer - presumably because someone at the BBC thought that CPRE's case was best challenged by using that example.

I particularly liked the editorial decision to run the live interview well within earshot of the traffic noise on the A27 (and highlight the fact at the start of the piece).

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Curious Orange said:
Someone should send in two photos - one of the rolling South Downs that we all love and don't want being built on, and the second of the University buildings that are being demolished to make way for the largest of the stands.

Id also like someone to tell me exactly where the picture in the metro piece was taken from. Ive looked at it hard and im fairly convinced it is not of the Falmer site from any perspective - its more green hills than even the selectivly taken ones on the anti falmer site.

As for us loosing the PR battle, i think we already have. for some reason we stopped fighting a while back after we won the public enquiry. the antis haven't though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's also the case that a picture tells a thousand words.

All the appearances by Martin Perry on the radio don't add up to one picture of – yet again – lovely rolling downland in front of thousands of commuters in today's Metro. If only they would use the truer pictures for once...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
England's nationally protected landscapes are under the greatest threat from development in their history, a report claimed yesterday.

National parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty (AONB), both set up by previous Labour governments, are the victims of an assault on the rules under the eye of the present one, says the report by the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England (CPRE).

Such "jewels in the crown" as the Lake District, Peak District and Northumberland national parks, the Lincolnshire Wolds, Kent Downs and Dorset areas of outstanding natural beauty are all on a threat list drawn up by campaigners.

They say that rules protecting the environment for the public's benefit are being challenged more than ever as a result of a buoyant economy and a Treasury, under Gordon Brown, that increasingly favours ignoring environmental rules in favour of growth.

The nine locations on the CPRE's threat list are:

•Lake District National Park: a two-mile dual carriageway bypass on the A590 in open countryside around the hamlets of High and Low Newton. Work has begun.

•Peak District National Park: proposal to renew activity at Backdale Quarry, north of Great Longstone, Derbyshire. Public inquiry awaited.

•Plans to upgrade the Mottram-Tintwistle bypass would cut into unspoilt moorland, a nature reserve and part of the national park. Public inquiry expected

•Blackdown Hills AONB: plans by Nigel Mansell, the former racing driver, to develop Dunkeswell racing circuit in the West Country. Partly approved despite conflict with AONB policies but full planning decision awaited.

•Dorset AONB: plans to bypass a stretch of the A354 north of Weymouth which the CPRE says would damage the South Dorset Ridgeway and the Bincombe Valley. Concerns for Dorset Wildlife Trust's Lorton Meadows Nature Reserve, ancient woodland in the Woodland Trust's Two Mile Coppice and an area of archaeological interest. Planning application published.

•Kent Downs AONB: plans by Imperial College for housing and science park at Wye, despite development land and planned housing nearby. Proposal.

•Lincolnshire Wolds AONB: wind farm at Fen Farm, near Conisholme. CPRE believes it will cause "visual intrusion" into the Lincolnshire Wolds AONB. Approved.

•North Pennines AONB: proposed wind farm at Plenmeller near Haltwhistle considered by the CPRE to be a "visual intrusion". Planning application expected

•Sussex Downs AONB: new stadium for Brighton FC and transport interchange at Falmer, within proposed Sussex Downs park. Permission granted by John Prescott is subject to legal challenge.

Tom Oliver, the head of rural policy at the CPRE said: "The whole basis on which the nation's most beautiful countryside is there to be enjoyed by us all is called into question by this series of damaging proposals.

"Protected landscapes are only protected to the extent that the Government and local authorities obey their own rules. Time and again, it appears that the Government or a local council is tearing up the rules when a significant conflict arises between one of our finest landscapes and another interest.

"What is the point of having laws that protect our precious countryside if they are ignored when it really matters?'

"Threat has become reality with work starting on the A590 High and Low Newton Bypass this month. It got the go-ahead despite running for its entire length through the Lake District National Park."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who are Brighton FC? Could we share this stadium with them?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
beorhthelm said:
As for us loosing the PR battle, i think we already have. for some reason we stopped fighting a while back after we won the public enquiry. the antis haven't though.

Its not always the right thing to speak your mind on NSC, but I tend to agree, as a club we seem to have lost our way both on the pitch and off it.

I need some anti depressants this morning :jester:

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I think they should interview my in laws as here's my chat with them in the car on the way to Druscillas as we approach falmer on the by pass from brighton yesterday...

Dad in law...so isn't the football stadium meant to be built round here
me...yeah, it's in this area of outstanding natural beauty about a hundred yards past those massive cranes (As we come up to the building site)
Dad in law....you're joking aren't you
me...eh no!.... unfortunately!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gordon the Gopher said:
I think they should interview my in laws as here's my chat with them in the car on the way to Druscillas as we approach falmer on the by pass from brighton yesterday...

Dad in law...so isn't the football stadium meant to be built round here
me...yeah, it's in this area of outstanding natural beauty about a hundred yards past those massive cranes (As we come up to the building site)
Dad in law....you're joking aren't you
me...eh no!.... unfortunately!
Oddly, I've had that very conversation twice with both my mum and my wife while making that very journey to Druscillas!

Just because the CPRE puts out a press release doesn't mean to say that the Club is "losing the PR battle".

The fact is that the Club got to the national media before the embargo on the press release was lifted - and arranged two interviews in prime-time breakfast slots, just as the story was breaking.

The counter-arguments to the CPRE story will no doubt fly in from defenders of all nine proposals that they have highlighted. We got our argument in first.

That's something to cheer - although I think we all recognise that the fact that the stadium saga continues to drag on is something that depresses us beyond words. Let's not blame the football club for that, though. Blame De Vecchi and Baker.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Lord B - more often than not i find your posts re: falmer not only informative but of substance i tend to agree with

BUT

in all the time that the club has been pursuing the falmer site it has not produced and publically released pictures that genuinely show the falmer site for what it is....

i even remember going to hove town hall 5 years ago and seeing several artists impressions of the ground (supporting our application) surrounded by rolling downs - no obvious uni building, dual carriageway etc in sight

SORRY BUT

on this front, the visual one, the club has failed massively to engended support for the ground by not providing a good, simple, visual account for joe public to appreciate the location of the ground

at times the club need to shoulder some blame. dk has a history in pr, and this is turning into a pr defeat

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
like this

Campus2.jpg

AONB - GET f***ing REAL!!!!!

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I was stunned to see it in the Leeds edition of metro. What annoys me is that it is not balanced reporting. Of course the CPRE, FALMER lot and LDC are gonna spin their case, but so we should we.

I will most certainly be writing to the metro and torygraph. As follows:

Dear Sir,

Your article in yesterdays paper refers.

The CPRE and Metro article would have its readers believe that the Brighton & Hove Albion stadium is to be built in an area akin to the Yorkshire Dales, however nothing could be further from the truth. There certainly are no flint walled fields, nor cream teas, with only the sound of cricket being played. The true picture is an area blighted by the worst examples of sixties architecture in the form of the local university and instead of the slow hum of farmers tractors, try several hundred thousand vehicles pounding a four lane motorway. No idyllic steam train serving the locals, this area is served by a high speed rail link connecting the University with thousands of students with local towns across Sussex

Indeed, rather than spoiling the countryside, the stadium will enhance the area. Probably a first in this country, there will be no parking at or near the stadium, fans will be required to use public transport. Rather than complaining about the stadium, it should be seen as cause for celebration. It will certainly be seen as that for the jobs it will provide for the hard pressed, unemployed of North Brighton, considered by Govt statistics as an area of high deprivation.

Yours Faithfully,

Steve Dibdin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here