Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer: Funding CRISIS

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
http://www.theargus.co.uk/whatson/specialfeaturestheguide/display.var.2029618.0.kutting_komedia.php

The 38-year-old Gardner Arts Centre, in Falmer, fell victim to funding issues and was forced to shut last March.

Its management needed £6m to pay for repairs to the Grade-II listed buildings in order to secure Arts Council grants, but funding from Brighton and Hove City Council had been withdrawn and the centre could not compete with increased competition in the city.

Sue Webster, the Gardner Arts Centre's former director, says: "The Gardner worked with Komedia very closely and promoted the same sort of work, albeit on different scales.

"It's a bit like the Paris fashion shows for theatre, in that it allows people to see new theatre and work that they wouldn't normally see Ð and that feeds into the theatrical community of the city.

"It would be very unfortunate if this means that sort of thing cannot be seen in Brighton."

What do you think of the funding cuts to Komedia and other venues? Leave your comments below.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The sad thing about the University is that they have consistantly for many years failed to spend enough money maintaining the buildings, hence now many of them have major problems. Alway the answer is they have no money for such things, insufficient funding. Sad when you consider how many people work really hard to keep these organisations running, to be told they have to face more budget cuts year on year.

I find it astonishing that in one of the most wealthy parts of the UK our public services are so poorly financed. Universities, Healthcare, Local Govenrment, always when I talk to them regarding businss they complain about lack of funds. Surrey is much the same.

I deal with all 3 sectors across the south of the UK, and whilst they are not falling over you to pay top dollar for anything, Kent, Essex and London authorities seem to have much more cash avaialble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here