Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer from the air #1

Fatboy Stenno

Feb 26, 2007
Haywards Heath
You lucky, lucky people! Not only did you get to see ijm1966's aerial photos from Saturday, but here's some more for you from a mate of mine.

There's more to follow...

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 774
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 774
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 772
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 769
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 771

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
" A few old Uni buildings" That part of the site is almost as big as the main bit. :ohmy:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
" A few old Uni buildings" That part of the site is almost as big as the main bit. :ohmy:

The West Stand is very big. I had thought that they had only built half of the South Stand (because they couldn't get access to the Uni land) but when you look on the illustrations (one where they superimpose the drawing onto the aerial photo) you can see that the South stand is only as wide as it is now. The West Stand fills the rest of the space

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Look at that sort of 'bare earth' patch the other side of Village Way. We could EASILY make that into a decent-sized car park which would help solve the Falmer transport problems and act as a park 'n' ride site for the city itself.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
The West Stand is very big. I had thought that they had only built half of the South Stand (because they couldn't get access to the Uni land) but when you look on the illustrations (one where they superimpose the drawing onto the aerial photo) you can see that the South stand is only as wide as it is now. The West Stand fills the rest of the space

Actually I think the south stand still has a bit to go - but they can't finish it because they need the existing access for the imminent assault on the west stand cliffs.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Actually I think the south stand still has a bit to go - but they can't finish it because they need the existing access for the imminent assault on the west stand cliffs.

I think it may have some to go, but from what I can see on the drawings, it's not "half done" even if it look like exactly half a stand .... if you see what I mean.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Look at that sort of 'bare earth' patch the other side of Village Way. We could EASILY make that into a decent-sized car park which would help solve the Falmer transport problems and act as a park 'n' ride site for the city itself.

You could also squeeze a nice size hotel in there as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

....and put a hotel on it!!!!!

oops beat me to it!!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You could also squeeze a nice size hotel in there as well.

....and put a hotel on it!!!!!

oops beat me to it!!!
I think a hotel would be a bit of a white elephant. Good for visiting fans whenever we have a home game but I think it would be pretty redundant most of the time as it's too far out of town.

A car park though we could get. Not straight away of course and as there's that whole 'sustainable transport' bollocks to be got rid of first, but if it comes to a straight fight between sanity and dogma we could have a chance.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

No, that wouldn't work, a park and ride would be most needed on Saturdays.

Sustainable transports may well be "bollocks" but without factoring it into the planning process and the eventual approved plans, this thing would have never got past the FIRST public enquiry.

Brian

Feb 21, 2009
Only half of the south stand is being built for now. The north stand gets going soon, followed by the big west stand with the remainder of the south stand last. steel work for the west should be complete by end of march 2010, can't wait to see how big an outstanding natural beauty the west stand will be.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Have you got a link to these?

Thanks for the photographs :bowdown: .

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
the other helicopeter shots show what a tiny shit hole Falmer village is and it would have been cheaper to buy whole lot out and flatten it for a car park than have the stadium build delayed.
£60,000,000 over origional budget would buy up an awful lot of irrelevant Hamlets,we probably could have saved money by buying up Lewes and knocking it down.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, that wouldn't work, a park and ride would be most needed on Saturdays.
Not if we build it with TONS of extra capacity.

Sustainable transports may well be "bollocks" but without factoring it into the planning process and the eventual approved plans, this thing would have never got past the FIRST public enquiry.
I'm well aware of that, but everything evolves. Also I would have said ok to no parking whatsoever anywhere within a ten mile radius if that had been a condition in order to get the thing approved.

However I do accept it's another battle for another day and might require a change of government strategy (or a change of government) to have any chance of being approved. And of course from a football point of view it may not be needed; despite the obvious drawbacks the planned P and R sites with bus transfer may indeed work ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here