Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - for Lewes FC too?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm certain this has been discussed on here before, but can't remember the outcome. The Dripping Pan will obviously never be a league standard ground, hence Lewes will never play in the football League. There seem problems enough getting the ground to Conference standard. Surely this means Lewes are condemned to never being in the FL. Now this might be fine by Lewes, but if Falmer was built surely the opportunity to ground share exists, and therefore the potential for Lewes to at some stage be in the FL? Would Falmer pass the test of being close enough to the town of Lewes?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No, dont think we are allowed to have the stadium open every week. Im sure we areonly allowed a certain amount of events a year.

EDIT:Yes, i think its close enough just I dont think its possible.

Last edited:

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
I don't see why we would want to do that and plus it will cost quite a lot of money to run falmer on every matchday. We will be able to balance that out with high crowds but I doubt Lewes will get big enough attendances and will end up losing money every week.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Jim in the West said:
I'm certain this has been discussed on here before, but can't remember the outcome. The Dripping Pan will obviously never be a league standard ground, hence Lewes will never play in the football League. There seem problems enough getting the ground to Conference standard. Surely this means Lewes are condemned to never being in the FL. Now this might be fine by Lewes, but if Falmer was built surely the opportunity to ground share exists, and therefore the potential for Lewes to at some stage be in the FL? Would Falmer pass the test of being close enough to the town of Lewes?

No disrespect Jim but thats a little run before you can walk scenario .. im sure Lewes FC would love to improve their home ground to a decent standard first !

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DAMANCLAY said:
No, dont think we are allowed to have the stadium open every week. Im sure we areonly allowed a certain amount of events a year.

EDIT:Yes, i think its close enough just I dont think its possible.

I get the feeling when Falmer is open rules like this will be broken.

Most of the current merry band of Lewes supporters like walking to and from the Dripping Pan, often via one of Mr Harvey's nearby outlets.

Falmer would be bloody inconvenient for that sort of day out.

Obviously things will need to change when the Rooks get into the Conference, because no club can sustain success at that level with the size of support that Lewes currently have. Even more so in the League.

But Falmer would certainly be a better option than Stoke for big home games in the FA Cup.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
O Lads said:
I don't see why we would want to do that and plus it will cost quite a lot of money to run falmer on every matchday. We will be able to balance that out with high crowds but I doubt Lewes will get big enough attendances and will end up losing money every week.

The reason is simply so that we can present Falmer as being a facility for Lewes, as well as for Brighton. I recognise that the FFA team and the club have done a fantastic job in presenting Falmer as a "Community" Stadium - however, I sense that the majority of Lewes residents see it firmly as a facility for Brighton's football team, and nothing else. As we know, the current battle isn't really about the AONB, but rather a political battle between little Lewes and horrible big Brighton. To quote from a letter I received from a Tory LDC councillor:

"There is, ofcourse, very much a "David & Goliath" sense of drama. Little, rural, "holier than thou" Lib-Dem, green, against that Labour Brighton bully that is somewhat "not quite like us cultural academics that live in leafy villages and the conservation, historic town of Lewes".

It's obviously essential that we can demonstrate massive support for the stadium throughout Lewes District, and to do that we need to get the message across that Falmer is not simply a football ground for B&HA. As I say, the club and FFA have done a good job on this, but good is simply not enough....the Seagulls Party needs to get the Community Stadium message across, and I think needs more ammunition to do that.

However, I accept that the conditions placed on the use of Falmer for football matches probably renders a ground-share scheme impossible in the short-term.

And I do recognise that the Rooks would rather play in Lewes than at Falmer.....but if it meant the difference between a league place and not, then perhaps Falmer would be seen very positively.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
I get the feeling when Falmer is open rules like this will be broken.

I would very much doubt it, Lewes residents would have a field day. The conditions are something we have to legally abide by and would cost us massive financial penalties and possibly worse if we were to break them.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Jim in the West said:
The reason is simply so that we can present Falmer as being a facility for Lewes, as well as for Brighton. I recognise that the FFA team and the club have done a fantastic job in presenting Falmer as a "Community" Stadium - however, I sense that the majority of Lewes residents see it firmly as a facility for Brighton's football team, and nothing else. As we know, the current battle isn't really about the AONB, but rather a political battle between little Lewes and horrible big Brighton. To quote from a letter I received from a Tory LDC councillor:

"There is, ofcourse, very much a "David & Goliath" sense of drama. Little, rural, "holier than thou" Lib-Dem, green, against that Labour Brighton bully that is somewhat "not quite like us cultural academics that live in leafy villages and the conservation, historic town of Lewes".

It's obviously essential that we can demonstrate massive support for the stadium throughout Lewes District, and to do that we need to get the message across that Falmer is not simply a football ground for B&HA. As I say, the club and FFA have done a good job on this, but good is simply not enough....the Seagulls Party needs to get the Community Stadium message across, and I think needs more ammunition to do that.

However, I accept that the conditions placed on the use of Falmer for football matches probably renders a ground-share scheme impossible in the short-term.

And I do recognise that the Rooks would rather play in Lewes than at Falmer.....but if it meant the difference between a league place and not, then perhaps Falmer would be seen very positively.

I think if Lewes were to be aloud ground share with us it would make no difference TBH, I seem to remeber the LDC refused them permission to make their ground sutibale for conference level, so they wont take a blind bit of notice.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Lewes new stand / ground improvments coming along very nicely at the moment

dscf5632medium9wd.jpg

dscf5637medium4yc.jpg

dscf5640medium3qu.jpg

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Seagulls over Lewes said:
Lewes new stand / ground improvments coming along very nicely at the moment

Indeed it is, does that make it conference standard? I seem to remember reading something about a wall that LDC would not let Lewes move?

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
DAMANCLAY said:
Indeed it is, does that make it conference standard? I seem to remember reading something about a wall that LDC would not let Lewes move?

All the time LDC say no to the wall being used then no it will not be conference standard. If they say yes then it's all systems go.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
All the time LDC say no to the wall being used then no it will not be conference standard. If they say yes then it's all systems go.

Thought that, it there any chance of an appeal by Lewes FC or is that it untill the LDC change their minds?

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
What reason would they have of denying them permission. There is no political reason is there, it's just that they're a bunch of twats. At least for Falmer they say we are destroying natural beauty (which is a load of shit to might I add).

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
DAMANCLAY said:
I would very much doubt it, Lewes residents would have a field day. The conditions are something we have to legally abide by and would cost us massive financial penalties and possibly worse if we were to break them.

Nothing to stop the club applying to the council for permission though.
Just a few extra days at a time until we are open 365. Mwaa ha ha ha ha.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Rangdo said:
Nothing to stop the club applying to the council for permission though.
Just a few extra days at a time until we are open 365. Mwaa ha ha ha ha.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I just dont see it happening for a long long time!

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
O Lads said:
What reason would they have of denying them permission.

The wall concerned is owned by nobody. Lewes F.C. said they will up keep the wall providing they can put a turnstille in it so to give access to the away end (when segregation is needed). Suddenly English Heritage say the wall which nobody cared about is now part of the original priory wall and want it listed.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The wall concerned is owned by nobody. Lewes F.C. said they will up keep the wall providing they can put a turnstille in it so to give access to the away end (when segregation is needed). Suddenly English Heritage say the wall which nobody cared about is now part of the original priory wall and want it listed.

When I was a little I used to live in Folkestone. There was a building there that was listed and someone brought it and the land around it and wanted to knock it down to build a pub. It was turned down.

One winter night when the building that had stood for about 150 years fell down. Everone knew that it had been helped but it was down and planning permison was giving.

The wall is not owned by anyone so if it was to get knocked over in a strong wind it would be a shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here