Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer For All Press Release - "Wish We Were Here" Postcards for Prescott

FALMER FOR ALL

PRESS RELEASE

Friday 21 May 2004

Wish we were here!

Continuing their intensive campaign in support of the Albion’s application for the new Community Stadium, the Falmer For All Campaign has produced a unique picture postcard. The postcard, to mark Brighton & Hove Albion reaching the Division 2 Play Off Final at Cardiff (v Bristol City, Sunday 30 May), features the Millennium Stadium and the proposed Community Stadium at Falmer.

Every fan purchasing a ticket for the Final will be given the postcard to send to the Deputy Prime Minister, Rt. Hon. John Prescott and Planning Minister Rt. Hon. Keith Hill.

Chair of the Falmer For All Campaign Paul Samrah said, “At last we are in a game which all our supporters can see! 21 years ago this month, Brighton & Hove Albion was on the world sporting stage – playing Manchester United in the FA Cup Final at Wembley. Next Sunday, the Albion will take 30,000 fans to Cardiff. Yet pitifully the Club is forced to play its home games in a temporary rented athletics stadium with a capacity of less than 7,000. Of the many thousands of postcards that will shortly arrive at the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, more than three quarters will be from supporters that cannot buy a ticket to watch their home team. The City of Brighton & Hove and its football team desperately need a purpose built Community Stadium. We urge John Prescott and Keith Hill to give us a sporting chance and give Falmer the go ahead”.

ENDS

21 May 2004

To view the card, go to www.clubsincrisis.com

Background note to Editors

Brighton & Hove Albion’s plans for a new Community Stadium at Falmer, which would secure its future, are in jeopardy. Despite an overwhelming show of public support, a report by a Planning Inspector on the City of Brighton & Hove’s new Local Plan has summarily dismissed the proposals, citing a lack of National Interest and that part of the site is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The final decision though now rests with the Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott, and is expected in the next ten weeks.

Quite simply, without Falmer, there can be no Brighton & Hove Albion. Why? Because the present temporary home is a rented 7,000 capacity athletics stadium - income is capped and ongoing losses are the inevitable result.

Plans were submitted to Brighton & Hove City Council for a Community Stadium at Falmer in October 2001. The Council approved the application by 11 votes to 1. The application though was ‘called in’ for a Public Inquiry, this concluded in October 2003. The Club has spent £2.5m on the application to date.

The Falmer For All Campaign continues to urge MPs and members of the football community across the country to urgently write or email the DPM asking him to back Falmer :

26 Whitehall, London SW1A 2WH or email: planning.general@odpm.gsi.gov.uk

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cracker - well done boys you can be assured my card will be sent :clap2: :clap2:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Have got my postcards. Excellent thinking and will have an impact

:clap2:

MactheRuss

May 22, 2004
Worthing
Hmm - got two tickets at Withdean at around 5.30 but didn't get given any postcards with them.

Where else are they available? Club shop presumably?:jester:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Very good.
:clap2:
Postcards available anywhere else?

But I can picture the scene. . .
Eventually, after a very long planning process, John Prescott - feeling a little weary and, whisper it, confused - applies the all-important, much-delayed ministerial signature to an official document sanctioning that Brighton and Hove Albion should indeed be allowed to play all their home games at. . . the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. . .

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Great idea. Minwe will be in the post as soon as I get my mits on some stamps.

Well done FFA team. :clap2: :clap2:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
must've run out of postcards as I did'nt get one with my ticket yesterday, will get one from the club shop monday

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
I got my tickets yesterday - no postcards - will supplies be available at Cardiff - happy to bring my own stamp and pen!

There may also be some Bristol City fans who are happy to send a card.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Any more news on the postcards? Be such a shame to waste this opportunity.

If anybody manages to get some-please send some to us exiles in the Guildford area before the weekend...

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I got ten from the club shop yesterday, sending them out today/tomorrow, they had loads by the looks of it

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
I got ten from the club shop yesterday, sending them out today/tomorrow, they had loads by the looks of it

Thanks-time for a call to the club shop methinks.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just called the shop-they've run out and don't know if there are plans for more.:(

Anywhere where I can download it and print if off myself on photo paper?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Bwian said:
Just called the shop-they've run out and don't know if there are plans for more.:(

Anywhere where I can download it and print if off myself on photo paper?

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Just seen it at the top-why am I talking to myself?:shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here