Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Finance - £20million from one individual

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If financing from this individual is starting this summer it cannot be David Gold or any of his family as they are tied in to Birmingham City and it would contravene league rules.

David would not use a surrogate to invest - not his style and not worth the risk

Have to look elsewhere for the sugar daddy I'm afraid

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Nothing personal but someone is spinning you a line.

If I had £20M to invest in a £50M project I would expect to be involved with other investors who didn't have to approach SIX banks to get the remaining £30M

That one individual would be running the deal and would be the one getting THE BANKS to find investors to make up the rest.

You don't invest in a football club, you either bank roll it or speculate. You can lose £5M in a season easy. Even if you do what the Glazers did at Manure you need serious money to get it started and its a very risky strategy.

And even if part of it is true I hope I never do business with the bank that told you this.

It's a hell of a lot of money to come from just one individual.

But it's not unknown for the super-rich to offer to stump up such sums for projects where the financial return is a bit uncertain, to say the least.

Remember investment banker Jon Aisbitt, who pledged between £10 and £25 million for the Falmer City Academy?

£27m plans for a city academy

... and then pulled out?

Brighton city academy plans in disarray

And then there is Rod Aldridge, the founder of Capita, who has stepped into the gap left by Mr Aisbitt.

Multi-millionaire saves Falmer plan from scrapheap

And then there's Mike Holland, who has chucked millions at restoring Stanmer House, launching Insight City News, coming up with an alternative to the Gehry Towers scheme, rescuing the Hove Engineerium and saving Newlands School..

Construction Industry News - January 2007

It's a funny old world. Some people have more money than they know what to do with. Maybe there's a closet Albion fan out there, biding his time.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nothing personal but someone is spinning you a line.

If I had £20M to invest in a £50M project I would expect to be involved with other investors who didn't have to approach SIX banks to get the remaining £30M

That one individual would be running the deal and would be the one getting THE BANKS to find investors to make up the rest.

You don't invest in a football club, you either bank roll it or speculate. You can lose £5M in a season easy. Even if you do what the Glazers did at Manure you need serious money to get it started and its a very risky strategy.

And even if part of it is true I hope I never do business with the bank that told you this.

It is completely common place to approach a bank to finance this. Whoever it is (possibly Bloom for example) may not have enough loot to finance the stadium himself and the players as well. Therefore the balance will always be found from bank finance. Its much easier to finance an asset like a new stadium than new players. And anyone with a brain would approach more than one bank to obtain the best deal. Often banks will give better deals if other banks are involved as well. A mixture of bank finance gives the club greater flexibility and the banks some assurance that they are not taking the full burden of risk.

The story is true though and has been confirmed by another NSC user above who I do not know. Of course whether it happens is something else, but certainly I believe that that is what they are telling the banks and the appointment of Micky Adams adds some credibility to this.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I want to get to the Premiership with the use of shrewd signings and hard graft. I don't want some multi-millionaire waltzing in and giving Adams £2 million to buy the best team in the Division.....oh wait, yes I do!
Great news if this indeed turns out to be true, i'm extremely excited about next season already. Might have a punt on us to get promoted before we start signing players :ascarf:

£2 million - what planet are you on ?
I think it would take considerably more than that

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is OLD news EVERYONE knows its MARADONA and Ossie Ardiles from a few years ago :jester:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
£2 million - what planet are you on ?
I think it would take considerably more than that

Considering with what we have already, £2million quid would get us promoted or there abouts. This is excluding any loan signings we will probably make. Say players of the calibre of Westlake and Richards come back on loan deals again, that leaves us needing about 3 or 4 more good players (another CB, Winger, Spare striker and perhaps a spare keeper but not necessary).
Not many clubs in League 1 spend more than £500k on a player and considering we only need a FEW more players I think £2million would do us just fine.

Not to mention we can still make free transfers. Just because we "could" have this money it doesn't stop us finding a gem that has been released from a Championship club that we can poach for nothing.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Through my many contacts at the club...I can tell nsc the mystery man with the 20 millon is Ernest.....

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
It was me - I've been saving my 1p and 2p's and decided to get it counted at the bank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here