Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer construction ... what I want to know is ...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Seen Jack's great photos.

What I want to know is this ... how do they know where to put everything? How to they know that everything will join up properly?

It's a real mystery to me!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

What I want to know is this ... how do they know where to put everything? How to they know that everything will join up properly?

They have blueandwhiteprints :lolol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They use these

65021408.JPG

only slightly bigger

Thats the relatively easy bit. It's all done electronically, sometimes using GPS (satellites). I wouldn't have fancied trying to do it 30 years ago with a chain and measuring tape mind.

I sometimes wonder how the ancient Romans / Greeks managed as some of their stadiums are just as complicated. (Anyone who's been to the colosseum in Rome will know what I'm talking about)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Imagine if it doesn't join up! We could have the first zig zag pitch in Britain!!!

Seagull Stew

They set out using a dumpy, plumb bobs and string lines!

Honestly, you couldn't make up construction language if you tried!

Last edited:

I sometimes wonder how the ancient Romans / Greeks managed as some of their stadiums are just as complicated. (Anyone who's been to the colosseum in Rome will know what I'm talking about)
... and they had LIONS wandering around the site.

Seriously, natterjack ... I know old highway engineers who shake their heads in disbelief at some of the road schemes that are built these days. They look at the "lumpy" curves and mutter about CAD and how "all these young kids have forgotten that you need a good eye to build a perfect bend".

... and they had LIONS wandering around the site.

Seriously, natterjack ... I know old highway engineers who shake their heads in disbelief at some of the road schemes that are built these days. They look at the "lumpy" curves and mutter about CAD and how "all these young kids have forgotten that you need a good eye to build a perfect bend".

I agree with you on that one. With highways, if it looks right it generally is right, although try telling that to some design people.

Stadiums are a different prospect though, especially the one you've got as the roof / steel structure has to be spot-on for it to fit together (were talking millimeters)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If you compare the CGD image that we have had on here and the Club website, with JS photo's of the so called vomitoriums. You start to see where it's all going to fit. :clap:

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Has anyone built a scale model at all? Either as a sales aid or just because they're into that sort of thing?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thats the relatively easy bit. It's all done electronically, sometimes using GPS (satellites). ...

i wouldnt have thought the domestic GPS was presice enough. but yeah, it does make you reflect and marvel even more at what people used to do. so then, on reflection if they could do that then, today it must be relativly easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here