Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Construction Date

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
I note that chimneys has posted a question on Ask the Club about an article in the Argus on March 2 stating that the stadium construction will begin in 9 months. Haven't been able to trace the story on Argus website. My understanding was that work on levelling the site begins in April and that the stadium construction proper begins in June.

If the Argus story is to be believed, does this mean that the construction has slipped back by 6 months?

I await the next edition of MP's so called 'weekly' stadium blog with interest tinged with apprehension!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I note that chimneys has posted a question on Ask the Club about an article in the Argus on March 2 stating that the stadium construction will begin in 9 months. Haven't been able to trace the story on Argus website. My understanding was that work on levelling the site begins in April and that the stadium construction proper begins in June.

If the Argus story is to be believed, does this mean that the construction has slipped back by 6 months?

I await the next edition of MP's so called 'weekly' stadium blog with interest tinged with apprehension!

I hope this just a case of Chimney being misinformed, I can’t see any Argus articles that back up what he has said but like many I await Perry’s ‘Weekly’ stadium diary……..

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Chaps, I didnt get it from the Argus website, but read it this morning in the actual paper of Monday 2nd March. I'm sure it must be a mistake by the Argus but wanted to check with the club.

The full text next to the weekly photo on page 2 is:

"Progress is right on track.

After 12 weeks, work on the access road to the new Falmer Stadium development is progressing well.

Construction of the sporting complex is expected to start in nine months and the £65 million project will be ready for the 2011-12 season".

Anyone else who has the 2nd March copy will be able to confirm that is what it said.

As I say, must be an Argus mistake but worth checking.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
This is the timetable according to an article in the Cheltenham programme from Oct 4th:

"...When the widening works are complete in April 2009 they will then start the bulk excavation of the chalk and provided we are given planning consent for the chalk re-profiling on the area of land to the south of Village Way they will be spreading it on the field on the opposite side of the road. At its deepest, the stadium is three storeys below the existing ground level and we are excavating 138,000m3 of chalk. It is a huge muck-shift operation and there will be some big machinery on site to carry out the work as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Once down to formation level the contractor will then construct the foundations and in July 2009 steelwork to the East and South Stands will begin to arrive. The area to the West of the site, University of Brighton land, is not released to us until the end of September next year, but as soon as it is made available the existing teaching blocks will be demolished and the remainder of the bulk excavation will commence. While the steelwork is going up on the East and South stands, Buckingham will be digging the foundations and constructing the basement under the West Stand where the players' facilities are housed.

Early in 2010 the steelwork to the West Stand will start and by November 2010 the roof steelwork will be complete."

So maybe they were just talking about the West Stand, by far the biggest stand. I hope they haven't forgotten about the North Stand as this never seems to get mentioned. Anyway the club keep assuring us that everything is on track and this is the plan.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
This is the timetable according to an article in the Cheltenham programme from Oct 4th:

"...When the widening works are complete in April 2009 they will then start the bulk excavation of the chalk and provided we are given planning consent for the chalk re-profiling on the area of land to the south of Village Way they will be spreading it on the field on the opposite side of the road. At its deepest, the stadium is three storeys below the existing ground level and we are excavating 138,000m3 of chalk. It is a huge muck-shift operation and there will be some big machinery on site to carry out the work as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Once down to formation level the contractor will then construct the foundations and in July 2009 steelwork to the East and South Stands will begin to arrive. The area to the West of the site, University of Brighton land, is not released to us until the end of September next year, but as soon as it is made available the existing teaching blocks will be demolished and the remainder of the bulk excavation will commence. While the steelwork is going up on the East and South stands, Buckingham will be digging the foundations and constructing the basement under the West Stand where the players' facilities are housed.

Early in 2010 the steelwork to the West Stand will start and by November 2010 the roof steelwork will be complete."

So maybe they were just talking about the West Stand, by far the biggest stand. I hope they haven't forgotten about the North Stand as this never seems to get mentioned. Anyway the club keep assuring us that everything is on track and this is the plan.

Very useful. Thanks Uter.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Thanks for posting that. I wasn’t aware that excavation will happen in two stages! Can’t wait to see pictures of the excavation equipment on site in the coming weeks.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008

Thanks for this - I hadn't seen it. I think that some of us are still a bit nervous about the whole project. Widening Village Way is one thing - but once we start seeing an even bigger hole being dug and bits of steelwork arriving on site then we'll all feel a lot more certain about things. Insider has already said that Martin's stadium diary is going to be updated this week. Just hope that his report will be as detailed and as upbeat as regards timings as the Cheltenham programme article.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Given what's happened this season, it would surprise nobody if Martin Perry's next announcement on the stadium is to inform us of another delay, probably to do with funding or a lack thereof.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Martin's stadium diary on website now. Talks mainly about the City College issue - but finishes by saying the major excavation works for the stadium start next month. Once that's underway I can concentrate on worrying about when the steel's arriving!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I hope they haven't forgotten about the North Stand as this never seems to get mentioned..
You can just imagine the builders when they go to put it together, "Right, time to build the north stand now lads, where's the steel? I can't see it, get martin on the phone"
Martin Perry: "SHIIIIIIIITTT"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here