Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer Campaign going to Hull on Saturday

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
The following Press Release has just been issued. If you are going to Hull on Saturday, please try and go along to the Hull East Constituency HQ - 430 Holderness Road, Hull HU9 3DW - for 12.30pm.

Thanks

We will Win.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
PRESS RELEASE

Tuesday 16 August 2005
---------------------------------------------------------------

Please can we have one too Mr Prescott?

A seagull called Gully once flew
To Hull City to see what was new
He said when he found
Their magnificent ground
Mr Prescott, can we have one too?

Continuing their campaign for a new stadium, Brighton & Hove Albion supporters will be delivering a giant 4’ by 3’ postcard to the Deputy Prime Minister’s Constituency HQ on Saturday 20 August at 12.30pm. [430 Holderness Road, Hull, HU9 3DW – opposite Westcott Street].

Chairman of the Falmer For All Campaign, Paul Samrah, said “As the Albion are playing Hull City in their new KC Stadium this Saturday, we thought we would take the opportunity to deliver a postcard to Mr Prescott from the people of Brighton & Hove. Very soon, the Deputy Prime Minister will be deciding whether our City can have a stadium of its own - at Falmer. Every great City needs a stadium – it is vital for the community and for Brighton & Hove Albion. Our future is in Mr Prescott’s hands.”

ENDS

Background note to Editors

Brighton & Hove Albion’s plans for a new Community Stadium at Falmer, which would secure its future, are in jeopardy.

Despite an overwhelming show of public support, a report by a Planning Inspector dismissed the proposals, on grounds of lack of National Interest and that part of the site is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The final decision though now rests with the Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott. He has indicated that his make-or-break decision will be published by 31 October.

Quite simply, without Falmer, there can be no Brighton & Hove Albion. Why? Because their present temporary home (for a Championship football team) is a 7,000 capacity athletics stadium - income is capped and ongoing losses are the inevitable result.

Plans were submitted to Brighton & Hove City Council for a Community Stadium at Falmer in October 2001. The Council approved the application by 11 votes to 1. The application though was ‘called in’ for a Public Inquiry, this concluded in October 2003. In July 2004, John Prescott re-opened the Inquiry and it finally ended in May this year.

Our campaign has collected thousands of letters of support for the Stadium from right across the country. We have the City Council’s support (11-1), we have the City Referendum result (67% in favour) and we have a record 62,000 signature petition. Not forgetting the small matter of the Early Day Motion (EDM 889 Session 2004-05) tabled in the House of Commons in support of Falmer as the site, which attracted almost 150 signatories including several high profile Labour & Conservative MPs. In under 10 weeks, a second EDM (EDM 15 Session 2005-06) has attracted 80 signatures.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Don't think so, nice cheap boozer in Hull for pre-match 'festivities' sounds much more appealing than milling round an empty office with a load of numpties dressed up in their matching blue-and-white scarves and bobble hats

Won't do a thing, Prescott has a mind of his own, he won't give a damn about the 'happy clappers' at his office on saturday

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Don't think so, nice cheap boozer in Hull for pre-match 'festivities' sounds much more appealing than milling round an empty office with a load of numpties dressed up in their matching blue-and-white scarves and bobble hats

Won't do a thing, Prescott has a mind of his own, he won't give a damn about the 'happy clappers' at his office on saturday

Have to say I think you're right NJ, I can't see what the point of this is as apart from anything else it's not as the Two Jags will be there.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Well at least I know how to find the place after we spent AN HOUR looking for it last time due to MORRIS''s PISS POOR directions.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think you're wrong.

I was there with Richie last time and the agent was a lovely bloke who was really pleased to meet us.

The giant Valentine's card that we took was received with great humour it has been reported and JP has kept it (he probably doesn't get very many) :D

Happy claooer and bobble hats eh? I think if you look at who does go on the supporter's coaches you'd be quite surprised and there are a few that post here on Nsc.
All ages sizes and types.

(my bobble hat from the 60's is at the bottom of my chest of drawers somewhere)

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
I think if you look at who does go on the supporter's coaches you'd be quite surprised and there are a few that post here on Nsc.

I rest my case Yorkie ;)

I await with interest for Roz's photos of the get together......if the photos are as hilarious as the ones from Withdean last week when Des got 'soaked', I cannot wait. Some very odd looking people in attendance........:ohmy:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't think Roz will be fit enough to go but I'll take some photos for you to have a good laugh at if you want ;)

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I'm up for this, can't do any harm although sadly i won't be wearing a bobble hat, blue and white shirt or glasses (i am fiendishly ugly though, if that helps.) These are the directions i got off Google maps for how to get there from the station, if anyone's got any better ideas/wanna share a taxi? (I think the search engine might be a little ambitious suggesting 3 miles can be walked in 6 minutes.)

Start address: Paragon Square
City of Kingston upon Hull, Kingston upon Hull, HU1
End address: Holderness Road
City of Kingston upon Hull, Kingston upon Hull, HU9
Distance: 2.9 mi (about 6 mins)

Reverse directions
1. Head east from Paragon Street - go 0.0 mi
2. Turn right at South Street - go 0.0 mi
3. Turn right at Anlaby Road - go 0.1 mi
4. Turn right at Ferensway - go 0.4 mi
5. Turn right at Freetown Way - go 0.6 mi
6. Continue on George Street - go 0.2 mi
7. Continue on Witham - go 0.3 mi
8. Bear right at Holderness Road - go 1.3 mi

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not my directions. I got them from the AA website.

The old agent was a beauty though as Yorkie says. "Muddle through, we muddled through in Dunkirk..." and his response to the younger labour guy saying John was in a meeting "no his bloody not hes playing golf in Hessle" being just two of his cracking lines.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yoda said:
Won't JP still be at No. 10 running the country while Blair is on holiday? ???

Probably but as Richie says his agent is worth meeting.
JP got the Valentines card so he'll get the postcard as well.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Benny Zamora said:
I'm up for this, can't do any harm although sadly i won't be wearing a bobble hat, blue and white shirt or glasses (i am fiendishly ugly though, if that helps.) These are the directions i got off Google maps for how to get there from the station, if anyone's got any better ideas/wanna share a taxi? (I think the search engine might be a little ambitious suggesting 3 miles can be walked in 6 minutes.)

Start address: Paragon Square
City of Kingston upon Hull, Kingston upon Hull, HU1
End address: Holderness Road
City of Kingston upon Hull, Kingston upon Hull, HU9
Distance: 2.9 mi (about 6 mins)

Reverse directions
1. Head east from Paragon Street - go 0.0 mi
2. Turn right at South Street - go 0.0 mi
3. Turn right at Anlaby Road - go 0.1 mi
4. Turn right at Ferensway - go 0.4 mi
5. Turn right at Freetown Way - go 0.6 mi
6. Continue on George Street - go 0.2 mi
7. Continue on Witham - go 0.3 mi
8. Bear right at Holderness Road - go 1.3 mi

Will try my best to be there, but think it's unlikely i'll make it on time to be fair. Best of luck, whatever :clap:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
I rest my case Yorkie ;)

I await with interest for Roz's photos of the get together......if the photos are as hilarious as the ones from Withdean last week when Des got 'soaked', I cannot wait. Some very odd looking people in attendance........:ohmy:

Oh that I could oblige. Only I would have captured every every nuance for you. In glorious "Bobblecolor" too ;)

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Well I intend to be there, surely the more that turn up the better.

If people would rather sit in the pub then that's up to them but if everyone just did that, and we don't get Falmer, then we'll probably not have a club to follow around the country in a few years.

I know everyone on here must have done their bit towards the campaign over the past few years but we're on the last push now, at least this will ensure the campaign is still fresh in JP's mind.

I'll be in my car so if anyone wants a lift from the offices to the ground then I'll fit as many in as I can.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Dancin Ninja BHA said:

:eek: :lolol: :drink:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I take it the press release is referring to the original report by Mr Holie (or whatever his name was) and not the one produced at the last round of the enquiry?

Please re-assure me....:eek:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
S'hampton Seagull said:
I take it the press release is referring to the original report by Mr Holie (or whatever his name was) and not the one produced at the last round of the enquiry?

Please re-assure me....:eek:

Yes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here