Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer article in today's Times

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Gordon the Gopher said:
Derek Chapman, head of Adenstar who are contracted to build the stadium. Good bloke, put a lot of money into the club,,,flew his helicopter straight to cardiff from his house in Falmer!

I very much doubt Adenstar are contracted to build the stadium. They're nowhere near big enough.

Also....
It's good to see that as soon as I move to Southdowns Park that they move the downs right to my doorstep, rather than having the distant view I was expecting!

I think it is still important that our Falmer request be seen in a light of humility, not bully-boy overbearing. Regardless of the hinterlands, the sparsity of population, we are RESPECTFULLY asking for consideration - not demanding a stadium 'right now'.

Let's keep a proper perspective on this, it's as important to our future that we maintain parity of outlook with environment and local populace - as it was when we railed against the establishment that sold the Goldstone (as much as we despise them).

We are not encumbents asking for expansion, and our behaviour will be seen as a sign of things to come.

Speak and act with humility people, and keep sights on the desire to be an ASSET to local community, DONATE something to environment, and bring increasing POSITIVITY to the table !!

Can I hear any support for THIS outlook on things?

Our hopes are founded on modest aspirations, strong spirit and honest ambitions - and these precepts have been an essential ingredient to our existence and support.... AND our league record since we lost The Goldstone !!

BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION PEOPLE, I WOULD IMPLORE YOU TO KEEP IT THAT WAY

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
sully said:
I very much doubt Adenstar are contracted to build the stadium. They're nowhere near big enough.

I thought it was McAlpine, the same people who built the stadium in Huddersfield?

Granny Goodchild

Sep 24, 2003
posted by sully

Originally posted by Yorkie
I thought it was McAlpine, the same people who built the stadium in Huddersfield?

Quote from the club accounts:

"Adenstar Developments Limited, of which D Chapman is a director, continues to hold an option to undertake the construction work for the proposed new development at Falmer, subject to Adenstar Developments Limited proving 'best value' by entering into a competitive tender process once planning permission for the Stadium has been granted"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:bounce:

Good work guys, lets hope they don't just bury all the letters and "forget" to publish any of them.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I have just emailed a picture of a Pompey & Southampton mapo asking them further to their publication where on the map Is Brighton and the Solent!!!

TOSSERS!!!

I think the editor would be better showing that one of their Journalists in the fine broad sheet that it is, produes articles full of inaccuracies!!
:angry:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Curious Orange said:
I've had an automated response from the Times, apparently they'll ring me if they wish to use my letter. I'll keep you all posted as to what happens.
Disaster! I found a spelling mistake.

I think you meant "1960s" and not "1960's" (no apostrophe)

I wish I hadn't been busy all morning now, otherwise I'd have let you know earlier!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Gwylan said:
Am I missing something? I've read the article three times now and I can't find any mention of the farmer that FBS refers to.

I'm also a bit baffled by the claims that the stadium would herald a host of other developments. Wasn't one of the NIMBY claims that the area was too small to host a modern stadium? It now appears to be able to hold a stadium, hotel and god knows what else. Are we building in the Tardis or something?

Good posting.

We shouldn't be too hard on the Times.They're obviously up to something here.Don't forget that most of the Times writers live in Brighton and are 100% behind the stadium, reflected in the many mentions and articles that have appeared in the past couple of years.
Whats more worrying is the prospect of another 3 months waiting.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
NMH said:
I think it is still important that our Falmer request be seen in a light of humility, not bully-boy overbearing. Regardless of the hinterlands, the sparsity of population, we are RESPECTFULLY asking for consideration - not demanding a stadium 'right now'.

Let's keep a proper perspective on this, it's as important to our future that we maintain parity of outlook with environment and local populace - as it was when we railed against the establishment that sold the Goldstone (as much as we despise them).

We are not encumbents asking for expansion, and our behaviour will be seen as a sign of things to come.

Speak and act with humility people, and keep sights on the desire to be an ASSET to local community, DONATE something to environment, and bring increasing POSITIVITY to the table !!

Our hopes are founded on modest aspirations, strong spirit and honest ambitions - and these precepts have been an essential ingredient to our existence and support.... AND our league record since we lost The Goldstone !!

very good point.I'm constantly having to remind myself not to spring into a blind rage whenever Falm*er gets a mention.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
NMH said:

Excellent points - but I think we've already demonstrated patience beyond the norm, good humour (flowers for JP, valentine's day cards, etc), and so on. In order to win our argument we MUST continue to point out (with respect, where it's due) inaccuracies and falsehoods in our opponents' campaigning.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Smart Mart said:
oops

“The saddest thing is that in a couple of years there will not be enough money, so they will build a hotel, driving range, shops or a cinema to keep it afloat,” Richard Allden, a local CPRE officer, said.

The Countryside Agency has agreed in principle to designate the area a National Park. When the inquiry closes in the autumn, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs will make the final decision.

What the f@ck!!!???!!! Cinema?????
That area of the downs is about to be downgraded from AONB to brownfield site, so whats the problem?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I guess we shouldn't leap all over anything that we perceive to be anti-Falmer. It's just f***ing annoying when you spend YEARS going over and over the same old points, pointing out the FACTS, only for a lazy piece of journalism to come along and wee all over your efforts. How many times must we have to debunk the "national park" thing? How many times do we have to point out that conjecture about Golf courses, supermarkets and multi-screen cinemas is bollocks? Everytime you think you've explained the in's and out's of the case you get this kind of article popping up as space filler on a slow news day and it's back to square one. I can just see someone telling me "oh but I read something in the Times about it being in a national park" and the frustration of having to go over the whole bloody Falmer thing all over again. I just want it to be OVER.

balloonboy said:
Excellent points - but I think we've already demonstrated patience beyond the norm, good humour (flowers for JP, valentine's day cards, etc), and so on. In order to win our argument we MUST continue to point out (with respect, where it's due) inaccuracies and falsehoods in our opponents' campaigning.

I do agree with those points too, we HAVE a tangible claim for a stadium that is long overdue - and with our eyes on a prize we are united in contention over the long wait for something that really would be an asset for City, County and Country. We certainly should ascertain and underline realities - and point to falsehoods and inaccuracies, indeed, respectfully to our opponents who obviously have honest agendas behind their arguments.

Tempering demand and hope, to attain our best interest over our claims, will be more diplomatic in the eyes of the powers that control decisions. Many outsiders will be un-educated about the things that have long been obvious to us. I wouldn't want us to come across as 'repugnant in our demands' - especially at this stage in the proceedings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here