Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer another delay!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You couldn't and wouldn't make up the farce that the Falmer saga has become. I won't be vaguely suprised if they let Brian Rix read out the decision.

Last edited:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
This strikes me as VERY ENCOURAGING NEWS.

Think about it.

If Blears is being advised to say NO, there's nothing to stop her saying so immediately. The reasons would be technical ones that a Secretary of State (even a new one) could legitimately just accept as "the advice of my planning experts".

If she is being advised to say YES, she OUGHT to be asking "How is this going to look to the people who made the legal challenge last year?" She can't be seen to be rushing to a judgment that might be challenged again by people who might be minded to complain that she couldn't possibly have grasped all of the complex issues in the time that has been available to her.

I'm not worried at all. Quite the reverse.

Well you are far more clued up on these matters, so I tend to trust you.

My only concern is all the changing of office etc means the "Falmer issue" just got put to the bottom of the pile (if you like) and they just need more time in finalising there decision?

All the same, a few more days are not going to make a huge difference to me.

Here is hoping for a yes decision. :whisky:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
So are we saying that Blears thinks there is a problem as Kelly was prepared to give a decision by Monday and Blears thinks she needs another nigh on a month to give the same decision?

Or are we saying that Kelly had a problem that Blears doesn't agree with?

Either way, you are not going to get representatives of the same government disagreeing with something on this scale.

sumo

Mar 24, 2007
Bear in mind this (which I posted yesterday on another thread) ...

With a further period of consultation on the National Park boundary now starting, Defra have published their "GUIDANCE ON MAKING OBJECTIONS OR REPRESENTATIONS ON FURTHER MATTERS"

This includes the following paragraphs:-

9. Objections and representations should relate only to the areas covered by the proposed additions and not to any other part of the boundary for, or area of, the proposed National Park.

10. The areas recommended for exclusion by the Inspector are shown on the maps for information only. Objections and representations on these are not invited as they fall within the Designation Order boundary that was the subject of the public inquiry.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/issues/landscap/natparks/sdowns/guid-object.pdf

In other words ... LDC and any other interested parties have NO FURTHER OPPORTUNITY TO COMMENT ON THE NATIONAL PARK BOUNDARY NOW BEING RECOMMENDED AT FALMER

:thumbsup:

I think Lord B is right the boundary decision instantly narrows LDC 's ground to appeal and the chances of a Judicial review, its better this way than waing till september then waiting for the outcome of a Judicial review. The end is in sight!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
So no celebrating at least until early 5 September, 9 weeks today

I won't be celebrating until I see the footings being dug! I was caught out by the last "Yes". (Drinking Champagne prior to the Ipswich game).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Or are we saying that Kelly had a problem that Blears doesn't agree with?

Either way, you are not going to get representatives of the same government disagreeing with something on this scale.

But she still thinks she has to take another month over a decision Kelly was expected to make by Monday!

The thing i dont understandabout this is that its the Civil servants that look at the evidence and present a case to the secretary of state to make a decision....now assumeing that Kelly would have had this by last week then surely she would Have made the decision then, Blears ( scabby cow) will have spoken to the Civil Servants and presumably Kelly.

So are we saying that Blears thinks there is a problem as Kelly was prepared to give a decision by Monday and Blears thinks she needs another nigh on a month to give the same decision?
Bear in mind what I always say about planning decisions that are made by the Secretary of State ...

She has to make 18,000 planning decisions a year. That's about 350 a week. And she has other responsibilities.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I suppose it really won't make a difference in the long run. Falmer will presumably still be opened at the start of the 2009 season. Sixteen days is neither here nor there I guess.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's hardly PICKY!!

If it was an extra 25 days, then you could write "nigh on a month." But, by your workings, 6 months is "nigh on a year!"

all righg...all right calm down
its only a commercial!!!!

Blimey.....

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
To be honest this was inevitable once no decision had been announced prior to the reshuffle. It wouldn't be acceptable for an annoucement of this scale to have been decided on by Ruth Kelly and then published once she had gone (LDC would have cried foul for a start.

It's likely that this decision as well as being decided on by Hazel Blears will also have to be approved by the relevant junior ministers. Ministers are often notoriously slow at deciding things and with two of them there it might take them some time for it to get it all through.

I reckon its just gone or will go to the junior minister in the next day or so. With luck you might get a decision out of him/her by next Monday. It will then be passed to Hazel Blears who will get the final say.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
The way I see it, is that if a decision was published by Monday, LDC and others are likely to appeal on the basis that the new Secretary of State could not possibly have had enough time to consider all the relevant facts.

I'm not overly worried, bearing in mind the circumstances.

The thing i dont understandabout this is that its the Civil servants that look at the evidence and present a case to the secretary of state to make a decision....now assumeing that Kelly would have had this by last week then surely she would Have made the decision then, Blears ( scabby cow) will have spoken to the Civil Servants and presumably Kelly.

No she has only been in post for five days and she will be swamped with information from civil servants on every subject that her portfolio cover so hardly suprising that she is hardly likely to be in a position to give such an important decision her full consideration by the 9th (by which time she will only have been in place for a working week). Up until Monday she had no interest in planning whatsoever. Expecting her to make an announcement of this magnitude based on nothing more than a written submission is, quite frankly, expecting a bit much. If she was opening a school fair enough, but this is a biggy and she might even have asked to be briefed in person by civil servants over it, which takes arranging.

Alternatively it may be so far down her agenda that there are more important things for her to be getting on with and she is not likely to meet the previous deadline of the 9th and so it has been put back.

If its anything like my department all decisions and arrangements that were in place on Friday are now past history and up for review by the replacement. She is a brand new Secretary of State so will be feeling her way in a bit at the moment. She is still trying to get up to speed with ALL the issues covered by her Department (of which this is only one)

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No she has only been in post three days and she will be swamped with information from civil servants on every subject that her portfolio cover so hardly suprising that she is hardly likely to be in a position to give such andimportant decision her full consideration by the 9th (by which tine she will only have been in place for a week). Up until Monday she had no interest in planning whatsoever. Expecting her to make an announcemnt of this magnitude based on nothing more than a written submission is expecting abit much. If she was opening aschool fair enough, nut this is a biggy and she will probably have asked to be briefef in person by civil servants over it.

Alternatively it may be so far down her agenda that there are more important things for her to be getting on with and she is not likely to meet the previous deadline of the 9th and so it has been put back.

If its anything like my department all decisions and arrangements that were in placew and the gift of the previous Minister are up for review by the replacement. She is still trying to get up to speed with ALL the issues covered by her Department (of which this is only one)
Plink, plink.

(That's the sound of a nail being hit on the head).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here