Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Falling out of love...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I made the decision to give up my ST towards the end of last year, before COVID had even been given two column inches in any rag. It was a purely financial decision. The ST itself is affordable but everything else that goes with it adds up. Pre-match beers and food, halftime beers and usually full time beers and food as well. It's so easily done to spend a bunch of cash just handing a bit of plastic to a barman but when I sat down and actually totted up what I'd been spending I was gobsmacked.

Knowing that I wanted to move house in 2020 and start putting money aside to start a family unfortunately the football moved from the 'essentials' column on my newly created budget to the 'non-essentials' column.

Funny thing is since COVID has hit I've basically given up the booze and don't see myself going back to it so my ST would go back to being pretty affordable. Honestly though, with everything going on and with football being what it is now I'd probably have still made the same choice. Strangely, I think I'd go back in a heartbeat if we were to get relegated which sounds crazy when I read it back. Something about the Premier League has never sat well with me.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think this pandemic has made me realise I don't actually miss the football, I miss seeing my friends, I miss the away days, I miss the getting the 6am train from Brighton to Burnley, with a crate of warm beer and usually hammered by KO to see us lose 1-0. I miss when I used to travel to all the Brighton games from Huddersfield at university seeing all the different fans of different clubs at Manchester Piccadilly going to whatever provincial town they'd been dragged to this week. I miss having a few beers in the Nelson or the Albert after the game and that turning into a night out. Going to non league this season with mates has made me realise its them I miss (as soppy and sad as that sounds) and the thing I loved about it last night was seeing familiar faces I see at away games and at home games. Having a (socially distanced) chat with people I hadn't seen for 9 months. I've always said especially to friends who support the top 6, this is what you miss out on, this is what football is all about. My mojo hasn't gone but VAR is killing the passion I have for the game itself, but I don't think anything will quash my passion for actually supporting the club. If we were in the Premier League or The Conference South I don't think I would lose that passion.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
i think this pandemic has made me realise i don't actually miss the football, i miss seeing my friends, i miss the away days, i miss the getting the 6am train from brighton to burnley, with a crate of warm beer and usually hammered by ko to see us lose 1-0. I miss when i used to travel to all the brighton games from huddersfield at university seeing all the different fans of different clubs at piccadilly going to whatever provincial town they'd been dragged to this week. I miss having a few beers in the nelson or the albert after the game and that turning into a night out. Going to non league this season with mates has made me realise its them i miss (as soppy and sad as that sounds) and the thing i loved about it last night was seeing familiar faces i see at away games and at home games. Having a (socially distanced) chat with people i hadn't seen for 9 months. I've always said especially to friends who support the top 6, this is what you miss out on, this is what football is all about. My mojo hasn't gone and var is killing the passion i have for the game itself, but i don't think anything will quash my passion for actually supporting the club. If we were in the premier league or the conference south i don't think i would lose that passion.

spot on.:clap2:

and part of my gripe weith the AMEX, and modern stadia . . . . you can't just meet your mates and stand together shooting the breeze, singing, ranting etc.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Exactly the same for me too. The VAR stuff is killing football for me and I now never watch any other games on Sky other than our own for entirely this reason.

For me the saving grace has been my new found love of the County football scene. Have been going to several Shoreham games this season and really enjoyed the experience. Players playing for the love of the game (not for the money), being able to stand and support my real local side, cheering a goal and not waiting for a couple of minutes to find out if it will stand, the reduced cost of a fiver for entry, and the beauty of being able to walk home after the game (usually via a pub).

Sadly for me, however much I will continue to follow the Albion, I genuinely feel this will be my last season as a ST holder (which I've had for 35 of the last 37 seasons).Not all technological advancements are positive and VAR and it's effects of killing the spontaniety of celebrating a goal for me has been the final nail in the coffin.

Dropped my ST and bought one for East Grinstead instead this season, although they are not playing at the moment I went to every home and away game so far and absolutely love it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Please do excuse the slightly self indulgent thread.

Firstly I understand that once we all get back in the ground it may all change, but this morning I have felt something new... I feel I may be starting to fall out of love with football a bit.

I've been at it now for 35 years but VAR, and the months long wait to win games, is killing it for me. I got to the end of the match last night and barely registered any irritation at all... this is very unusual! Just switched the tele over and watched something else.

I think the main reason is that we go to football (or watch it on TV for now) for that moment we score a goal. That impossible to describe ten second buzz you get that non football fans can't possibly understand. Well, thanks to VAR, that's gone now... and with it, a fair chunk of my enthusiasm.

I hope it returns.

God I sound like a miserable git!

Would be interested to know if I'm alone.

Absolutely, just chatting with a mate and feels exactly the same. A watching TV audience has been prioritised over the experience in the grounds. They don't give a monkey's about fans who attend. We pay stupid money to attend and we keep attending in large numbers, they just don't care. They want to sell sell sell the TV packages, and VAR fills minutes. It can make a dull game exciting for a watching audience. It's been a slow process of chipping away at what it is to be a football fan. VAR is like a final '**** you, we're not going to even pretend we give a shit about you anymore'.

MOTD spend a lot of time moaning about VAR, then construct their own virtual 3D model of the West Ham stadium to show a ball 10m in the air went slightly out of play. The TV broadcasters love it. They want more of it. They don't care.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
But after all is said and done, football from a fans point of view is all about that one moment - as you see your striker smash one in from 25 yards - that moment of silence as the ball is in the air and the swish as it hits the net in front of you - Ecstasy. Quick look at the linesman - goal!!!

Not any more, no point getting excited, there’s a chance it might just be disallowed for a reason no one has a clue about
All because the Top clubs want just that bit of extra revenue as they know they will benefit in the long run

I’ll be back at the Amex to see mates at some stage, but the football will be incidental probably - unfortunately

There it is. In a nutshell.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Exactly the same for me too. The VAR stuff is killing football for me and I now never watch any other games on Sky other than our own for entirely this reason.

For me the saving grace has been my new found love of the County football scene. Have been going to several Shoreham games this season and really enjoyed the experience. Players playing for the love of the game (not for the money), being able to stand and support my real local side, cheering a goal and not waiting for a couple of minutes to find out if it will stand, the reduced cost of a fiver for entry, and the beauty of being able to walk home after the game (usually via a pub).

Sadly for me, however much I will continue to follow the Albion, I genuinely feel this will be my last season as a ST holder (which I've had for 35 of the last 37 seasons).Not all technological advancements are positive and VAR and it's effects of killing the spontaniety of celebrating a goal for me has been the final nail in the coffin.

Have been along to Shoreham this season and thoroughly enjoyed it, if anything the ludicrous refereeing decisions at that level make it all the more entertaining, as its just part of the game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I love being in the premier league watching top quality players every week play for us and the opposition. I don't mind the wait for wins as it makes the ones we do get even more enjoyable, every match feels like a proper occasion that the games in the leagues below didn't feel like. With 6 and 4 year old boys now getting involved and passionate about it, I'm also rediscovering the childlike enthusiasm for being a fan.

But the two things that do turn me off are:

1. VAR - I never wanted it, it's a shambles, it's ruining the sport and will never, ever be compatible with football no matter how many wanky rule changes the administrators try to attempt to make it fit;

2. The cost of being a fan. It's a disgrace - going to matches, replica kits, even TV sport packages. Football is becoming an old mans spectator sport because young families just can't afford it. Future generations just won't have the same passion for the game we do as they will miss out on a lot of the experiences we have had due to parents not being able to take them anymore.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
The way Sky Walker-Peters took off after gently brushing against Solly near the penalty area was truly something to behold. The absolute ridiculousness of his action double downed with Mr Magoo’ s decision at Bletchley Park (headquarters of the evil V.A.R) or wherever the secret lair happens to be just about finished me off (and not in a good way) last night.

I think the word is “incredulous”.

Anyway Sheffield United next week.

I agree, nobody who knew anything about football, could possibly be fooled by Walker Peters dangling his leg as he threw himself into the box. The VAR ref was. Our officials are shite,

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London

Firstly I understand that once we all get back in the ground it may all change, but this morning I have felt something new... I feel I may be starting to fall out of love with football a bit.

I've been at it now for 35 years but VAR, and the months long wait to win games, is killing it for me. I got to the end of the match last night and barely registered any irritation at all... this is very unusual! Just switched the tele over and watched something else.

I think the main reason is that we go to football (or watch it on TV for now) for that moment we score a goal. That impossible to describe ten second buzz you get that non football fans can't possibly understand. Well, thanks to VAR, that's gone now... and with it, a fair chunk of my enthusiasm.

I hope it returns.

I agree
I don’t celebrate any goals now
I just remain slumped in my seat until the VAR nerd checks the telly
I mild brrrp if the goal is confirmed

I have started going to non league and it’s exhilarating seeing decisions made instantly on the pitch that stand

D

Deleted member 2719

I hope it returns.

Don't worry mate, you will get it back, it's all down to China.

It may have dwindled a bit before, but China and the lack of communication with the world on Covid have made football less significant. They let it wreck the world.

The vaccine is here and we will climb up and out of this hole and the football will become a bit more relevant again.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The whole game has been ruined by VAR!
How can technology still be left to someone’s interpretation?
What happened to referees decisions only being overruled due to a clear and obvious error? Who decides if the VAR has made a clear and obvious error?
Until this ridiculous system is overhauled to actually come up with defining decisions that are actually correct then I fear that the game will fall off of my radar completely.
I wasn’t angry last night, just dismayed at our 2nd half performance and then the poor decision to hand them a deserved 3 points.
My love for the game is draining away slowly and I really don’t care much for it anymore.
I’ll always be a fan of our club but not sure I want to watch football for now.
It feels a bit like losing your first love to me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I hope it returns.

Not at all alone.

Genuinely thinking that I'm done now.

I believe in VAR in principle to improve the game but the implementation has been utterly dreadful. Simple things, echoed by fans of every persuasion, like "if you can't see a mistake in 10seconds then there is no clear and Obvious mistake", so give VAR 10s or ref's call stands.

This, along with a massive decline in the quality of officiating (too many egos now wanting to make headlines themselves) all saps the enjoyment from the game.

Hate watching it on TV too.

At this point in time I'm inclined not to renew STs and just stop putting myself through it each Saturday (or Monday Eve or Friday or Saturday lunch or whenever the CJTCs at Sky think some far Eastern gambling syndicate want the game played).

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
I feel the same. Never thought I’d ever fall out of love with the game, but it’s happening and I’m not sure it’s reversible.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I tell you something- we'd all be a lot more positive if we were in the Championship. Gotta be the best league in the world. Hate the Prem. Even if we won it i'd hate it.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I honestly thought VAR would be beneficial after seeing how it was used in the 2018 world cup - it just seemed to pick up on the blatant mistakes and quickly without spending ages to overanalyse things and kill the pace of a game. I was in favour of it. However yet again in our beloved country we have demonstrated our unfailing ability to take something and completely screw up the actual implementation of it. As implemented last season and this I have gone from being 'pro' to 'no'. I used to watch so much football on TV that my missus would give me a hard time about it. Now she actually wonders whether I'm even going to watch it when we're on it. The atmosphere-free stadiums under COVID haven't helped either.

Like the OP I switched over to another channel last night straight at the final whistle to avoid watching yet another binfest about VAR. Did see a really great programme with Chris Tarrant travelling across Australia by train though.

I'm priority 2 for the Sheff Utd game and will try for a ticket. Maybe I'll feel differently if I'm there but I really can't get worked up about it at all at the moment, win or lose. I was flat last night but just as flat after the Liverpool and Villa games.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I love watching Jnr Bobkin's games - more entertaining than a lot of PL stuff. It was great to be back on the sidelines again at the weekend – and I was so chuffed for them to be back playing as they'd clearly missed it.

No VAR or contentious decisions in sight either – well, not too many [emoji38]ol:
No winter cricket training. I'd usually be driving the sprog to various village/city sports halls 3 times a week. Meeting up with other parents for a coffee or a beer while the lads were training. Chatting to the coaches. Listening to the football on the way home.

He's lucky enough to have some one on one training next month but it's hardly the same as proper training with all his mates.

A whole season pretty much written off, which when you're 13 is a big deal. He's dealt with it really well. I'm totally pissed off!

Btw when I saw the thread title I was expecting some Fireman Dan style admissions. I demand to speak to a manager.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020

I hope it returns.

Add to this the all in wrestling that goes on unpunished

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here