Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Fairytale of New York - PC gone mad or correct decision?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

Just before we piss ourselves with excitement for Saturday after a crap international break, I was trawling through the news and saw this article.

Radio 1 are not going to play the original version of the Christmas classic and great song, Fairytale of New York. This is because the lyrics may offend some of its younger viewers. As someone who is young (late twenties), I don't know a single person in my age group, or even younger, who is even in the slightest bothered.

In fact, we just find this constant changing and banning of lyrics, tv programmes, films etc bloody irritating. A quick warning before playing or screening of controversial songs or programmes, should be the way, not erasing classics.

However, I do respect peoples views and if this offends them then fine, but is this yet more PC pandering or is it about time we made some changes to these dated Christmas Songs?

Interested to hear your views. Please don't send this to the bear pit either.

christmas will be banned soon .....don't want anyone to be offended...tsk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
One of the biggest challenges facing future society imo is the drive to protect everyone from any sort of offence or pain in life. It could (and probably will imo) ultimately lead to extreme censorship and the loss of rights to free speech in time. Ultimately a part of what makes an individual well rounded and resilient in life is experiencing challenge and learning to be able to manage things one finds uncomfortable and learn to actually defend themselves when it arises and actually use those debates to highlight what is right or wrong. I read a good book that talked about how much quality of life has improved with many of us never really experiencing any real hardship leading to tiny and ultimately non consequential things that people can choose to find offence in now becoming huge issue points as groups feel they have a right to be spared anything they may not like.

definitely a lot more suicide amongst younger people these days ......never had a knock , a dressing down , a back hander or never simply been told "no" as in " no Xavier you can't ride your e-scooter to cello practice , it's raining outside and you'll get your cream g-star skinny fits filthy."

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One of the biggest challenges facing future society imo is the drive to protect everyone from any sort of offence or pain in life. It could (and probably will imo) ultimately lead to extreme censorship and the loss of rights to free speech in time. Ultimately a part of what makes an individual well rounded and resilient in life is experiencing challenge and learning to be able to manage things one finds uncomfortable and learn to actually defend themselves when it arises and actually use those debates to highlight what is right or wrong. I read a good book that talked about how much quality of life has improved with many of us never really experiencing any real hardship leading to tiny and ultimately non consequential things that people can choose to find offence in now becoming huge issue points as groups feel they have a right to be spared anything they may not like.

All the time the likes of Twitter exist, there is zero threat to censorship or freedom of speech, despite people complaining – on Twitter – that there is.

I mean, look at some of the responses on there to this news about a song not being played on a radio station that the complainants probably never listen to. That reaction just another example of, like you say, '...tiny and ultimately non consequential things that people can choose to find offence in...' I guess :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Normally I'd ask why anyone cares either way.

But someone has tuned one of the canteen TV's onto some Spanish guitar easy listening plink, plink, plink channel.

Much to my surprise, at this moment in time, I'd kill to be listening to FoNY, or for that matter...

...Radio 1.
Anything to end this misery.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Bear in mind the average listener to radio 1 is about 12 , if you are going to start censoring songs , what about several rap songs that are also homophobic and get played ..

Jul 20, 2003
If the controller of Radio 1, or whoever is responsible for the playlist, thinks the lyrics are inappropriate for their audience then just don't play it. It's not as if there aren't any other Christmas songs. Sorted.

Whataboutism alert.

If a theatre group didn't like the antisemitism in 'The Merchant Of Venice' don't do a production with the antisemitism removed, do a different play, it's not as if there aren't any other plays.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If the Pogues don't want the BBC to play the edited version they can presumably stop it. Not sure why acting else would give a shit if that's what Radio 1 want to do.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Kirsty Maccoll stopped performing the song with the f word included in 1992. The Pogues have indicate they have no issue with the decision made via their Twitter today and publicly denounced Lawrence bloody Fox's attempt to hijack the situation.

If the original artists don't have a problem with the change, then what are we actually defending? Quite rightly, we highlight the use of the f word aimed at us from opposiiton fans. Why do people suddenly have a problem with the BBC using an alternate version that was recorded by the original recording artist. Frankly, it baffles me.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
[tweet]1329394157354446850[/tweet]

Nice to see them putting that feckless tosser Fox in his place.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The head of Radio 1 is a gay man (Aled Haydn Jones who used to be part of Chris Moyles show), so I'm going to assume he knows a considerable amount more about what offends gay people than I do. If he feels its inappropriate to play it then I have no problem with that. Considering Radio 1's target audience is also younger and potentially more impressionable it also seems fair enough to eradicate such terms to avoid them returning to everyday use.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Awful awful song anyway ..... and about as Christmasy as stepping in a dog turd. Would be very happy to see the back of it for quality reasons alone.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I personally like the old version of the song, it reminds me of being absolutely hammered in somewhere like the Lion & Lobster about 20 odd years ago.

Still agree with not playing that version on R1 though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here