Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Failure to get Brighton and loans pending

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Would be good if we could get Shipps and Barnard here on loan. For some reason I'm not too bothered about missing out on this Tom Brighton fella. £100k is another big chunk of cash for us and would certainly be a risk on someone like Brighton.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Brighton to Brighton , what a story that would have been. Hope we can sign him eventually.

Six figure sum too!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brovian said:
True, but it's no worse than the old days when apparently we had a pub landlord doing the scouting. (Sorry BensGrandad, that isn't meant as a dig at you, but the system).

Why because a person happens to be a pub landlord, lorry driver, dustman or solicitor should it be that they won't have an eye for talent and be able to spot a good player playing in local football.

This reverts back to the idea that you acn't have an opinion unless you are an ex pro footballer.

It is the best system going to use people of all walkss of life to spot talent in local matches.

Being a pub landlord I could go to any match at the drop of a hat virtually and would get a call at 12.30 asking could you go to such and such and look at this player. This I did and reported back what I thought no decision was ever taken on just my view or indeed on any 1 mans 1 view at 1 match , there was always follow on visits, so the system did and does work.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Why because a person happens to be a pub landlord, lorry driver, dustman or solicitor should it be that they won't have an eye for talent and be able to spot a good player playing in local football.

This reverts back to the idea that you acn't have an opinion unless you are an ex pro footballer.

It is the best system going to use people of all walkss of life to spot talent in local matches.

Being a pub landlord I could go to any match at the drop of a hat virtually and would get a call at 12.30 asking could you go to such and such and look at this player. This I did and reported back what I thought no decision was ever taken on just my view or indeed on any 1 mans 1 view at 1 match , there was always follow on visits, so the system did and does work.
Yeah, fair comment, and I do agree with your view that anybody with the right mind can be a football expert, not necessarily just somebody who is/was paid for kicking a ball about.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Other players linked with a move to their spiritual homes: Arthur Accrington-Stanley.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
What he means is "how can anyone spot anything when they're pissed out of their heads all day"?

Jul 20, 2003
what's the score on free agents?

Monday, January 30, 2006) -- American striker Kenny Cooper has been released by Manchester United after two-and-a-half years with the English Premier League powerhouse.

The club's web site said that the team's relationship with Cooper, 21, had been terminated "by mutual consent." Cooper reportedly was in the final year of the contract he signed in 2003.

Cooper was the third player to be released during the January transfer window, following 23-year-old midfielder David Fox and 19-year-old Finnish forward Jami Puustinen. Fox signed on with Blackpool of the third-division English League One.

Despite success with the reserves, Cooper never made an appearance with Man. U.'s first team.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
According to my Orient supporting mate Barnard was on loan there last season and didnt score in about a dozen games and is the last player you would want in a relegation scrap.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Richie Morris said:
According to my Orient supporting mate Barnard was on loan there last season and didnt score in about a dozen games and is the last player you would want in a relegation scrap.

Not to be pedantic, but I think he did score once.

According to 'my' scottish contact McGhee has watched Steven Hammel of Motherwell TWICE now.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
According to my brain this is just a PR stunt to shut us all up.

If we really have over 100k to spend on one unproven player why havent we already bought someone in?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
the right footed denilson said:
According to my brain this is just a PR stunt to shut us all up.

If we really have over 100k to spend on one unproven player why havent we already bought someone in?

Exactly. I detect a bit of 'spin doctoring' going on...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
100k doesn't get you a proven player.

It's on the Clyde website, are they in cahoots?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I noticed the comment from MM that Tom Brighton is out of contract in the summer and will probably go for about £10k at a tribunal. Now we are talking our level of buying so perhaps come July we will have another scotman to slag off.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Silent Bob said:
100k doesn't get you a proven player.

It's on the Clyde website, are they in cahoots?

Says it was a substantial fee that they turned down so it must have been tempting for them. I was expecting them to say something like they turned down an offer that fell under their valuation of the player. Maybe a signing in the summer?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
this is prob argus bollox but it hopefully shows alot of you that we do have a bit of money and all your defending of the club not having anything despite not being told this is in fact BOLLOX

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
BensGrandad said:
I noticed the comment from MM that Tom Brighton is out of contract in the summer and will probably go for about £10k at a tribunal. Now we are talking our level of buying so perhaps come July we will have another scotman to slag off.

Thing is a LOT of SPL clubs are sniffing around him, particularly as its always a kick in the face for the Old Firm if an ex youth player comes good somewhere else, and they normally buy them back for silly money a few years later from some other SPL club.

£10K at the moment, but if he keeps on banging them in then that will soon go to £50K, 95% of SPL clubs can offer more money than us, so I cant really see it happening.

I WOULD however put £10 on, that he signs for Motherwell.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here