Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
From the Argus today

Sport
Albion fail in six-figure bid for striker

by Andy Naylor

Albion hope to sign Neil Shipperley on loan from Sheffield United and to borrow Lee Barnard from Spurs to help stave off the threat off relegation.

Manager Mark McGhee will pursue the experienced Shipperley and promising Barnard after having a six-figure bid for Clyde's striking prospect Tom Brighton rejected before the close of the January transfer window last night and the 0-0 home draw against Burnley.

The Seagulls have been tracking the appropriately named Brighton for weeks. McGhee and his backroom staff have watched the 21-year-old former Glasgow Rangers trainee on several occasions, including Clyde's shock Scottish FA Cup win over Celtic last month.

But First Division Clyde have put ambition before financial gain by holding on to Brighton, who had a loan spell in England in 2004 with League One side Scunthorpe.

McGhee revealed: "We had a six-figure cash offer for Brighton turned down by Clyde. They were determined not to sell him, given the fact that they are still in the Scottish Cup.

"He is out of contract in the summer and they are likely to get only about £10,000 for him at a tribunal then, so you have to admire their ambition."

Shipperley has dropped down the pecking order at promotion-bound Sheffield United following the £1.75 million purchase of Ade Akinbiyi from Burnley.

The free-scoring Barnard has just signed a new contract at Tottenham but Martin Jol is keen for him to get first team experience.

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
If we had a six figure bid for Brighton turned down it shows that we have got cash to spend and are not spending it "willy nilly", fair play.

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
Not that we can sign anyone other than loans now of course.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Another day another set of random names that have turned us down, I wish the Argus would just keep their trap shut. No doubt now that they've released names, Barnet, Grimsby or some other giant of football will swoop for Barnard or Shipperly:jester:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
dwayne said:
Another day another set of random names that have turned us down, I wish the Argus would just keep their trap shut. No doubt now that they've released names, Barnet, Grimsby or some other giant of football will swoop for Barnard or Shipperly:jester:

Christ, watching the game last night really put you in a mood didn't it.. and there's me thinking everyones asking 'Why don't we know whats going about transfer's..?'

Good news BHA; just giving it our best shot as always.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rowdey said:
Christ, watching the game last night really put you in a mood didn't it.. and there's me thinking everyones asking 'Why don't we know whats going about transfer's..?'

Good news BHA; just giving it our best shot as always.
:thumbsup:
Did he watch the game last night? I thought Dwayne only went to an occasional away game.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
KinkyNormanBaker said:
I wonder who told the club about Barnard....

:clap: :clap:

Shows they are prepared to listen to fans.
Well done Kinks.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yorkie said:
:clap: :clap:

Shows they are prepared to listen to fans.
Well done Kinks.

I very much doubt they get any of their info from kids on an internet site. I suspect they have notes on every player up and down the country.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dwayne said:
I very much doubt they get any of their info from kids on an internet site. I suspect they have notes on every player up and down the country.

I know for a fact that Kinks emailed the club and had a reply.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Lee Barnard didn't score many goals for Aldershot or Orient!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well there's that Yank at Manure who is out of contract and we already have one Manure player who's done well in their reserves.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Yorkie said:

"Dear Mr Kinky, you have already been contacted by the club's solicitors regarding your continuous flow of correspondence with the club. Despite you encylopaedic knowledge of Football Manager 2006, we would rather rely on "real" scouts. We will NOT be paying you for recommending your list of "best buys" (Wayne Rooney is somewhat out of our price range anyway), and should you carry on in this manner you will be declared a vexatious correspondent."

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Yorkie said:

McGhee also mentioned it in his manager's report in last night's programme:

"As part of our routine of seeking new players, I listen to lots of feedback. From my staff, scouts, my contacts, people I meet in the street, via email correspondence, and suggestions on the club's internet forums."

Well done Kinky! :clap:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
bailey said:
McGhee also mentioned it in his manager's report in last night's programme:

"As part of our routine of seeking new players, I listen to lots of feedback. From my staff, scouts, my contacts, people I meet in the street, via email correspondence, and suggestions on the club's internet forums."

Well done Kinky! :clap:

Great, but is anyone else concerned by the "people I meet in the street" part of that sentence?

Especially when it's half past 2 in the morning, he is staggering out of the pub, heading for "Sab's Kebabs", and a swarthy Argentinian agent steps out of the shadows whispering "Senor Mark - I have something that might interest you...."

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
HampshireSeagulls said:
Great, but is anyone else concerned by the "people I meet in the street" part of that sentence?

Especially when it's half past 2 in the morning, he is staggering out of the pub, heading for "Sab's Kebabs", and a swarthy Argentinian agent steps out of the shadows whispering "Senor Mark - I have something that might interest you...."
True, but it's no worse than the old days when apparently we had a pub landlord doing the scouting. (Sorry BensGrandad, that isn't meant as a dig at you, but the system).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here