Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Failed applications for managers job.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Reading the Leroy Rosenior thread got me thinking about other managers who have applied for the Brighton hot seat over the years.

IMO we have always had a reputaion of bringing in high profile managers,which in turn brought in applications from big names whenever the job became vacant, with that in mind I have always wondered what high profile managers applied when Barry lloyd, Jeff Wood, Hinshelwood and Wilkins got their jobs?

???

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Bellendi claimed that we had 40+ applicants when he sacked Barry Lloyd. Brady being the chosen one... I think Peter Ward was rumoured to have applied at the time.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
e77 said:
Didn't Bryan Robson get interviewed once?

I think he may of applied for the job Coppell got ???

But it was also rumoured so did Terry Venables, Glenn Hoddle and George Graham :eek:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Back in July 2002 Schaffer got as far as a lunchtime meeting at Heathrow with DK before he was going to be introduced to the worlds press at the Grand Hotel at 6.00pm.
Suffice to say its alleged Schaffer had checked out some of the things DK had told him at the original interview, a certain Peter Taylor being one of the points of contact, like Falmer within 2 years and the team being more than able to hold its own on the then Div One.
Needless to say ' dick's spin' didn't go do well with the kraut, declined the offer and Dick phoned Hinsh on the way back round the M25 and offered him the job.
And the rest is history...................

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
In 1969 my friends older brother told us that he had applied for the vacant post of Albion manager - to be filled later by Freddie Goodwin.

He told us that if he was successful he would let us sit in the dug out, meet the players and the like.

As a gullible 9 year old I hung on his every word and was devastated when he showed us the clubs reply turning him down on account of him having no experience in the game beyond organising the odd kick around up the local park.

Ever since that day I have felt a little prickly towards all Albion administrations. Even now I wonder of what could have been.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Harty said:
Back in July 2002 Schaffer got as far as a lunchtime meeting at Heathrow with DK before he was going to be introduced to the worlds press at the Grand Hotel at 6.00pm.
Suffice to say its alleged Schaffer had checked out some of the things DK had told him at the original interview, a certain Peter Taylor being one of the points of contact, like Falmer within 2 years and the team being more than able to hold its own on the then Div One.
Needless to say ' dick's spin' didn't go do well with the kraut, declined the offer and Dick phoned Hinsh on the way back round the M25 and offered him the job.
And the rest is history...................

good old dick knight!:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here