Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Facts From Today

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I don't mean his preperation was different, what it seemed to me like was that we had an attitude of, 'we've got a decent home record, and this is only shitty little Port Vale, we'll roll them over by a couple of goals without even trying.' Then, we went on the pitch, and found out they were a tougher proposition than we imagined. As manager, he must take the responsibility for that mindset, and the way we just totally weren't at the races.

Have you considered the players may have been a bit mentaly drained after 2 very hard away fixtues on the bounce where we managed to get 2 creditable results? We're a league 1 side on a tight budget not a premier league side who can afford the luxery of squad rotation.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I trust that if someone tells you that you're a useless f***ing wanker and should go back to where you came from a couple of months after starting work you'll think to yourself

'perhaps they have a point, I am lazy and talentless. And despite the person telling me this having no skills to do my job, they clearly know far more about my chosen profession than I do, and I agree with every word they say. I now feel motivated to improve my performance and am looking forward to my next opportunity to do so'

I coach and help manage an U9's football team. We played a team last week where their manager was shouting at his boys from the touchline: " You're useless ! " " You're a bunch of fairies ! " . I think that really helped actually. I won't tell you who won the game though as I think you might be able to guess. :cry:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I coach and help manage an U9's football team. We played a team last week where their manager was shouting at his boys from the touchline: " You're useless ! " " You're a bunch of fairies ! " . I think that really helped actually. I won't tell you who won the game though as I think you might be able to guess. :cry:

But is it true that this was a match between two sets of mythical creatures, and the fairies beat the leprechauns 2-1? So he was technically right calling them those names?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But is it true that this was a match between two sets of mythical creatures, and the fairies beat the leprechauns 2-1? So he was technically right calling them those names?

Close ; the leprechauns actually run out narrow winners ( the lucky little bastards ) as the fairies became too shit scared to scatter their magical fairy dust and thus failed to have any real impact on the game. And the match didn't really take place last week but rather in a land that time forgot.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
It wasn't the fact we lost, it was the way we meekly surrendered to the worst team in the division. It was the pathetic performance that makes it all the worse, not just the disgraceful result. It was the way we went onto that pitch expecting to win without putting the work in. We're not good enough to do that by a long way, and to throw our entire season away in one afternoon is frustrating to say the least. If preparing a team so utterly badly is your idea of Wilkins "working wonders," then you'd be having his babies if we were any good.
So the fact since the previous game, nearly every interview Wilkins has done this week has said with something like "We cannot expect to turn up and win because Part Vale are bottom. It will be a difficult game" probably suggests to me this wasn't the case. Have a mug of warm milk and go to bed, you'll feel better when you wake up.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Looks like my choice of selling the tickets and watching the Grand National was a good one, even though I didn't have the winner

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was wiped out.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The polarised views of some Albion fans continue. In trying to defend Wilkins, BHADEB sees the only explanation as the actions of Dick Knight.

How about the more likely scenario that everybody is doing their best for the club, everybody wants promotion and unfortunately a number of people yesterday, had a bad day at the office?

If Wilkins is the main reason we have had a great run in the last 2 months, it isn't right that when we have one bad result, it is the fault of the Chairman. Be it the board, the coaching staff or the players, it is collective responsibility. On balance, whatever happens now, this season they can all look on it as one in credit rather than debit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The polarised views of some Albion fans continue. In trying to defend Wilkins, BHADEB sees the only explanation as the actions of Dick Knight.

How about the more likely scenario that everybody is doing their best for the club, everybody wants promotion and unfortunately a number of people yesterday, had a bad day at the office?

So you're blaming the admin staff now? Is there no end to this madness? :rant:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
FACT - playing well in last couple of weeks
FACT - challenging for promotion
FACT - great home record in 2008
FACT - can still get into play offs
FACT - half price tickets

these factors = best gate at Withdean by home fans of the season

but then we were toilet on the pitch - FACT (I hope they come back for HArtlepool)

2 points from 3 games.
Players being congratulated on getting draws.
No urgency against a relegation team.

All facts, and all add up to one fully-fledged reality - we are not going up this year and the team aren't really going for that.

Sorry, but reading our ambitions this year as getting 'creditable' draws against other promotion candidates - there's not much chance.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Plan

Last season - not to go down, check

This season , consolidate, stop rot, flirt with play offs to keep interest but then fizzle out, check

Next season - ambition to possibly make play offs but no great desire to go up

Season after next - concerted push for promotion ready for Championship football at Falmer

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If the plan doesn't go as planned, is there another plan we can plan with? :whistle:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Port Vale are one of the divisions form teams and beat Orient recently. Certainly never going to be an easy game, especially on the back of our busy March.

It was poor. Very poor. BUT we are still in the top ten and I think that represents a CRACKING season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here