Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FACT of the day

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Easy 10 said:
Since the 5th Crusade in 1217 was never officially renounced by King Henry III, it is still perfectly legal for the English to invade Constantinople (now Istanbul) and make all the turks eat their camels. And there's NOTHING the UN can do about it.

anyone up for a holiday Here

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Today is the birthday of these world-famous sports stars:

Zack Wheat (1888. Ok, he's probably dead now)
Vic Stasiuk (1929)
John Newcombe (1943. Actually I've heard of him)
Marvin Hagler (1954. And him. Think he beat Alan Minter)
Rich Karlis (1959)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The pretty Swiss town of Zurich has the highest quality of life in the world. And is about the same size as Brighton, which doesn't but isn't bad either. FACT

(I gleaned that from last night's "The World" too - did I mention how good that programme is?)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Man of Harveys said:
The pretty Swiss town of Zurich has the highest quality of life in the world. And is about the same size as Brighton, which doesn't but isn't bad either. FACT

Doesn't it also have one of the highest rates of heroin addiction in the world?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Trufflehound said:
Doesn't it also have one of the highest rates of heroin addiction in the world?
Brighton? They didn't mention that about Zurich, although Google reveals that they have set up "heroin parks" to keep all the junkies in the same place with mixed results.

Stupidly I suppose, my head is having trouble digesting the very concept of Swiss heroin addicts. Far too daft an idea for them. FACT.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Brighton? They didn't mention that about Zurich, although Google reveals that they have set up "heroin parks" to keep all the junkies in the same place with mixed results.

Stupidly I suppose, my head is having trouble digesting the very concept of Swiss heroin addicts. Far too daft an idea for them. FACT.

It certainly used to be true of Zurich in the 80s. Apparently is was something to do with all the young people having loads of money knocking around, and nothing to spend it on except hard drugs...

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Easy 10 said:
But neither the the UN, EU or the HRA have scrutinsed this law yet. Its not been altered. Sure they could retrospectively close this loophole by introducing some legislation to prevent further camel consumption, but the FACT remains that, as it currently stands, you or I would be well within our legal rights to go to Istanbul and force someone to eat a camel.

Problem arises when you try to force someone to eat it, assuming the turk is not willing to do so a certain amount of pressure and force wil be required- undoubtably infringing an aspect of the criminal law.

FACT remains you are entitled to do so, but it would be pretty difficult.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Cleopatra and Alexander the Great both used to add saffron to their baths (although not at the same time).

Alexander did it because he thought it helped to heal his battle wounds (it has antiseptic qualities, so it probably did).

Cleopatra did it because she thought it enhanced her sexual performances (obviously ancient Egyptian men were turned on by bright orange women).

Two historical FACTS for the price of one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
bristolseagull said:
Problem arises when you try to force someone to eat it, assuming the turk is not willing to do so a certain amount of pressure and force wil be required- undoubtably infringing an aspect of the criminal law.

FACT remains you are entitled to do so, but it would be pretty difficult.
Nobody said it would be easy - the Crusades are perhaps amongst the darkest chapters in the history of human civilisation, and many barbaric acts were performed in the name of 'Holy War'. I'm not saying that I would personally want to travel to Istanbul and force a turk to eat a camel. I am merely partaking in the spirit of this thread and reporting on the FACTS as they stand.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The smallest City in the UK has a population of just 1,797

FACT

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
There are no camels in Istanbul except in the Kemel Attaturk Memorial Municpal Zoo.

Therefore the only Turk in Istanbul (formerly Constantinople) who could be forced to eat his camel (if Easy 10's interpretation of international law and of medieval history are correct) is head Dromedary keeper Ali Ezitenoglu.

FACT.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
crasher said:
There are no camels in Istanbul except in the Kemel Attaturk Memorial Municpal Zoo.

Therefore the only Turk in Istanbul (formerly Constantinople) who could be forced to eat his camel (if Easy 10's interpretation of international law and of medieval history are correct) is head Dromedary keeper Ali Ezitenoglu.

FACT.
During medieval times, and as far back as the times of the Crusades, camels were commonplace in Constantinople. Known as the "Gateway to the East", there were strong trade links between Turkey and Egypt in particular. Camels were a primary resource for transporting exotic spices and silk from Africa, whilst dried fruits, ape saliva and other delicacies would be sent back to the vast marketstalls of Cairo and Damascus in return.

Forcing a turk to eat his camel would not only be a great humiliation to him personally, it would also cut off his source of income and throw both him and his family into abject poverty. Whilst camels are less commonplace in this day and age in modern day Instanbul, the law still stands that we, as englishman, can still impose this rule on any turk we please, on presentation of a camel.

FACT.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Easy 10 said:
During medieval times, and as far back as the times of the Crusades, camels were commonplace in Constantinople. Known as the "Gateway to the East", there were strong trade links between Turkey and Egypt in particular. Camels were a primary resource for transporting exotic spices and silk from Africa, whilst dried fruits, ape saliva and other delicacies would be sent back to the vast marketstalls of Cairo and Damascus in return.

Forcing a turk to eat his camel would not only be a great humiliation to him personally, it would also cut off his source of income and throw both him and his family into abject poverty. Whilst camels are less commonplace in this day and age in modern day Instanbul, the law still stands that we, as englishman, can still impose this rule on any turk we please, on presentation of a camel.

FACT.

I seem to remember reading something similar when I did my GCSEs...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here