Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Facebook have your say against MK Dons!!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If MK Dons ever get to the Prem it will be interesting to see just how much they uncover or hide their Wimbledon origins.

In semi-answer to that, I believe MK Dons have transferred the 'trophy history' to AFC Wimbledon (i.e MK Dons will never claim to have won the FA cup - but AFC Wimbledon can now claim that they won it).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That's interesting because I'd expect MOTD to dust down the reels of 1988 and the Crazy Gang ready for their Prem season opener. Maybe if the promotion happens the chairman will have a word with Lineker and tell him not to mention their south-west London origins?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
In semi-answer to that, I believe MK Dons have transferred the 'trophy history' to AFC Wimbledon (i.e MK Dons will never claim to have won the FA cup - but AFC Wimbledon can now claim that they won it).

This is indeed the case, The FA see AFC Wimbledon as the true continuation of Wimbledon FC and MK Dons as a totally new(ish) club with no history. MK had to give over all replica trophies, domain names and any copyrights (including badge designs) they had to Wimbledon FC which then became property of AFC Wimbledon and in return AFC Wimbledon agreed to stop the campaign of telling fans of other clubs to boycott MK Dons games. This shows that the owners of MK Dons had no care for the history of the club but at least they handed it back to the rightful owners.

AFC should be a conference side next year and I would back them to come straight up as long as the ground is improved. Also I beleive they own the leasehold of Kingstonians ground now and lease it to Kingstonians for the pricely fee of a friendly

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You're probably right. But don't you think what MK Dons did sets a dangerous precedent ? They took over an ailing Football League club, relocated 90-odd miles away, rebranded and renamed themselves, and jumped straight into the Football League operating as a brand new football club. No promotions, no working their way through the pyramid, no actual tangible links with Wimbledon. They just stole Wimbledons idenitity so that Milton Keynes could kick off straight away in the Football League, bypassing all the "hassle" of actually forming a club and working their way up (as everyone else tries to do).

"Get over it" is a bit glib. Places in the Football League should not be up for purchase at the expense of an existing club.

The point is that the football league have, I believe, changed the rules to prevent it happening again so, like I've said before, get over it.

If MK Dons ever get to the Prem it will be interesting to see just how much they uncover or hide their Wimbledon origins.

If they are genuinely intent on keeping the Wimbledon identity alive then think how significant the return to the Premiership for the club would be.

On the other hand the board may choose to play down the memory of past glories, partly because of guilt and partly because reminding people the club used to be Wimbledon is inconsistent with building a fanbase in Milton Keynes.

Personally, I think they are model to which the Albion could aspire and I really wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Prem within 5 years.

Haven't they, as gesture, returned any trophies Wimbledon won to AFC Wimbledon?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The point is that the football league have, I believe, changed the rules to prevent it happening again so, like I've said before, get over it.

Would you have "got over it" if they'd dissolved the Albion, taken our Football League status, and set up a new club a hundred-odd miles away ?

Think I'd struggle with that, to be fair.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Would you have "got over it" if they'd dissolved the Albion, taken our Football League status, and set up a new club a hundred-odd miles away ?

Think I'd struggle with that, to be fair.

That's not what happend though is it. Wimbledon were tenents out of their borough for god knows how many years and they didn't dissolve the club. Had they stayed where they were they continued down the leagues until they were a non league club or may well have gone bust like some other ex league clubs.

Oh, and by the way, I was raised in Wimbledon and Plough Lane was the first ground I ever went to (Southern League Floodlit cup final second leg v Yeovil. Wimbledon won 3-2 on aggregate) so I did had a certain affinity to them. However, before any muppets have a go, I was 5 when we moved to Sussex so consider this my spiritual home.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Christ its accient news for fucks sake,christ some people on here:wozza:

I say good luck to mk dons
I would too if, like you, I was a simpleton with no principles.

It's perfectly simple. They're quite well run and they have a shiny new stadium but the fact is that MK stole a football club from the people of Wimbledon. Imagine if we'd somehow got to the Premiership while at Withdean, and that the nimbys had won and we were stuck at Withdean for the foreseeable future. I can't imagine you would be telling everyone to "get over it" if we'd been relocated to Dublin or MK or wherever a couple of years later.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
imagine if someone said to you
get over it brighton, archer had a perfect legal right to do what he did, ok it wasn't pretty, but he got away with it..get over it
think how you'd respond

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here