Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabricio Diaz

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Fair shout although captaining the world cup winners at under 20 level probably puts him ahead of kowzloski in potential stakes.
Some huge differences.

1. He hasn’t played 100 games
2. He wasn’t player of u20 World Cup
3. Barcelona have never been after him

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Some huge differences.

1. He hasn’t played 100 games
2. He wasn’t player of u20 World Cup
3. Barcelona have never been after him
Kozlowski was a real coup at the time for us. Youngest ever player in a Euros team. Supposedly we beat Man U, Liverpool, Barcelona and other big clubs to his signature (although who knows how much of that was genuine).

But yes, much younger and probably it was more hype at that stage than Díaz who has proven himself a bit more.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Kozlowski was a real coup at the time for us. Youngest ever player in a Euros team. Supposedly we beat Man U, Liverpool, Barcelona and other big clubs to his signature (although who knows how much of that was genuine).

But yes, much younger and probably it was more hype at that stage than Díaz who has proven himself a bit more.
Kozlowski is still only 19. I thought he'd be older than that - seems to have been loaned out for a few seasons already.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Tim Vickery's verdict

"Fabricio Diaz already plays for Liverpool – in Uruguay. He was the captain of the Uruguay side that won the U20 World Cup in such impressive fashion three months ago. It’s very surprising he’s still with a small club in Uruguay, there is talk Barcelona want him but are trying to get the maths sorted. He’s a player who might struggling physically with the Premier League, he’s not the greatest defensively, but he’s got a set of golf clubs in his feet and his range of passing really is something special."

And he said this about him at time of u20 world cup.

"Uruguay captain Diaz, 20, has stamped his authority on proceedings.
Already a well established player with Liverpool - the Uruguayan version - he takes responsibility for running the game from the centre of the field.
His right foot is a subtle weapon, and he is a consistent threat from set pieces.
Like Santos he too has five goals in six games in the U20 South American Championships.
And he's not afraid to put his foot in - earning three yellow cards in the tournament so far."

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Tim Vickery's verdict

"Fabricio Diaz already plays for Liverpool – in Uruguay. He was the captain of the Uruguay side that won the U20 World Cup in such impressive fashion three months ago. It’s very surprising he’s still with a small club in Uruguay, there is talk Barcelona want him but are trying to get the maths sorted. He’s a player who might struggling physically with the Premier League, he’s not the greatest defensively, but he’s got a set of golf clubs in his feet and his range of passing really is something special."

And he said this about him at time of u20 world cup.

"Uruguay captain Diaz, 20, has stamped his authority on proceedings.
Already a well established player with Liverpool - the Uruguayan version - he takes responsibility for running the game from the centre of the field.
His right foot is a subtle weapon, and he is a consistent threat from set pieces.
Like Santos he too has five goals in six games in the U20 South American Championships.
And he's not afraid to put his foot in - earning three yellow cards in the tournament so far."

Sign him up 👊

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Looks to be very much our kind of player, although Vickery's comment on him lacking physically for the Premier League is a bit of a concern.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
This report makes him sound like the second coming of Christ. But what I really like about this guy is the experience he has at such a young age. Played a lot of games and already a leader.

Díaz distribution and making the right choice with the ball is evident in his game, averaging a passing success rate of 89% after attempting over 650 passes last season. Díaz combines security to his defensive line and being a ball-player extremely well, constantly looking to get on the ball and be the heartbeat of the play. You’ll often see Díaz create short angles for his team and drop into almost a centre-backs position to receive possession, he does this as there’s more room for him to operate. His awareness and experience allows him to ghost into space between the lines. Effortlessly controlling the tempo by working the ball around from the first phase just patiently waiting for an opening to send a killer pass to unlock the lines of press. It all begins with his first touch, the Uruguayan first touch is exemplary, himself up to quickly make his next move which is usually a pass. Very much a press-resistant player, composed and cute to dance his way from the high press and tight areas. Using his upper-body strength and quick footwork, making him exceptionally difficult to dispossess.​

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Baleba is more box to box. He's different Diaz is much more a DM. Hopefully we will get both and then makes sense that ayari and alzate will be shipped out.
OK. Well a defensive player is more what we need that a box to box in my opinion

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Club know what they are doing.
Judging by the highlights video, plays a Billy G role to me but not an MC replacement. TVic even says hes not the best defensively and I feel thats what we need the most right now. But loading up on young talent is definitely working ok for us.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I genuinely think we will also get Baleba. IMHO Gilmour and Dahoud are fighting it out for one position. Gross and Milner are kind of fighting it for another (essentially the utility player) but it makes sense to have two more for the 6 role. That way we have six players for the two central midfield roles plus RB, RB cover, LB cover.
We've already seen in the two games that RDZ plans to rotate pretty aggressively..and also how important the bench will be this season (both in terms of additional games and additional minutes In those games).
Alzate out. Ayari out on loan.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I genuinely think we will also get Baleba. IMHO Gilmour and Dahoud are fighting it out for one position. Gross and Milner are kind of fighting it for another (essentially the utility player) but it makes sense to have two more for the 6 role. That way we have six players for the two central midfield roles plus RB, RB cover, LB cover.
We've already seen in the two games that RDZ plans to rotate pretty aggressively..and also how important the bench will be this season (both in terms of additional games and additional minutes In those games).
Alzate out. Ayari out on loan.
I suppose though Baleba and Diaz are both similar in terms of the age / experience profile. Personally I can't see both in the squad this season, with the message in effect, "if you want to play, you have to displace Pascal Gross".

If we signed both, I could see one incorporated and one loaned straight away. More likely to me is one or the other.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I suppose though Baleba and Diaz are both similar in terms of the age / experience profile. Personally I can't see both in the squad this season, with the message in effect, "if you want to play, you have to displace Pascal Gross".

If we signed both, I could see one incorporated and one loaned straight away. More likely to me is one or the other.
Why?

Alzate and ayari are current in the squad. They will drop out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here