Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I tend to think the Brighton fan base are fairly patient. The entitlement isn’t ingrained yet!
Certainly more patient than big 6 club fans.
We can take a step back in the short term as long as we are moving forwards in terms of our longer term plan.
Very true, we are not a hotbed of fans who turn on the manager without good reason.

Hyypia because we were in nosedive and his tactics were completely unsuited to the players we had and we were getting turned over by shit teams. Potter would have got about 15 mins before muttering started and less than four defeats on the bounce before it became toxic from the stands imo.

Hurzeler would get time unless we start off clueless and continue it for about 10 games, and he doesn’t bruise fans egos with facetious comments about them or the club :wink:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
They do like to employ young coaches in Germany, Julian Nagelsmann was just 28 when he got the Hoffenheim job and took RB Leipzig to the Champions League semi final when he was just 32.

He's also managed Bayern Munich and is current Germany Manager at the ripe old age of 36.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I’m putting you on ignore now - you have tried to derail this thread since yesterday with your arguments with Mods and your negative one liners and pro-Potter agenda.
I'm putting the troll on Ignore as well.

The agenda is to troll. It cannot stand us getting an exciting coach. Put a boot in about Alzate's made up "bad attitude" as well.

I bet the troll is Palace. It can wallow in ignored-land from now on.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Because of the simple fact that they’re all better candidates than the American German guy whose younger than Dunk.
Why is McKenna a better candidate than Hurzeler? Both got their clubs promoted from the second tier to the first with mid table budgets. Neither with first tier experience. Both inexperienced as in their 30s.
Both had to cut short their playing careers due to injury.
Both have previous coaching experience at good levels; McKenna with Man U, Hurzeler with German National team u 18s.
Both have two years experience as first team managers. McKenna has a higher profile in England due to him managing Ipswich.
No language issues with either as Hurzeler speaks good English.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It would be good to take a bit of the heat out of these discussions. Let's all remember that none of us know anything.

We don't definitely know why RDZ left;
We don't know what the process has been to plan his replacement;
We don't know who, if anyone, we've approached;
We don't know what their responses were;
We don't know whether Hurzeler is a serious candidate; but if he is:
We don't know whether he is interested;
We don't know whether he'd get a work permit;
We don't know how things would go if he were appointed.

We've read press reports, we have our own guesses, but if we boil it down to the brass tacks, we know very little about what's going on. In the circumstances this can lead to frustration and worry, and those can lead to snapping at those whose assumptions do not match our own. Let's remember that Tony Bloom has appointed six managers in his time at the club:

Poyet, (Promotion and play offs),
Garcia (play offs),
Hyypia (struggled),
Hughton (avoided relegation, Play offs, then promotion, then avoiding relegation)
Potter (Record highest finish) &
De Zerbi (New record highest finish and Europe).

He's got a very good record for making the right appointments. We don't know what's happening, but unlike a lot of fans of other clubs, we can trust that we have someone who knows what he's doing. He'll get us a new coach. It won't guarantee success, but it'll sure be an interesting ride. Let's enjoy the scenery it and not get snippy with each other because we each want to be in charge of the map reading.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He wanted to control recruitment, and the club weren’t prepared to let him do that, would be my summary.
The overriding reason, is that the club's (long-held, and long-term successful) structures were not good in the short or mid term, for BRAND DE ZERBI.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I don't know. But if they do, I guarantee they have a single 12-syllable word for it.
Sorry to be the fun-sponge here, but I believe it's "Freistellung".

Gartenpflegesabbaticalsfreistellungszeit would be better? Do you think the Germans have a suggestion box?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It would be good to take a bit of the heat out of these discussions. Let's all remember that none of us know anything.

We don't definitely know why RDZ left;
We don't know what the process has been to plan his replacement;
We don't know who, if anyone, we've approached;
We don't know what their responses were;
We don't know whether Hurzeler is a serious candidate; but if he is:
We don't know whether he is interested;
We don't know whether he'd get a work permit;
We don't know how things would go if he were appointed.

We've read press reports, we have our own guesses, but if we boil it down to the brass tacks, we know very little about what's going on. In the circumstances this can lead to frustration and worry, and those can lead to snapping at those whose assumptions do not match our own. Let's remember that Tony Bloom has appointed six managers in his time at the club:

Poyet, (Promotion and play offs),
Garcia (play offs),
Hyypia (struggled),
Hughton (avoided relegation, Play offs, then promotion, then avoiding relegation)
Potter (Record highest finish) &
De Zerbi (New record highest finish and Europe).

He's got a very good record for making the right appointments. We don't know what's happening, but unlike a lot of fans of other clubs, we can trust that we have someone who knows what he's doing. He'll get us a new coach. It won't guarantee success, but it'll sure be an interesting ride. Let's enjoy the scenery it and not get snippy with each other because we each want to be in charge of the map reading.
A lot of what it boils down to is “don’t believe everything you read in the papers” ….. or on Twitter, Facebook or anywhere else, particularly on betting odds.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But if he stays at SP he has the risk of a very tough season ahead with the very real risk of relegation.
We can multiply his salary I expect, he gets to manage in the Premier League with a relatively strong squad. Certainly one that shouldn’t be relegated.
There is no release clause so we will have to negotiate that with SP. Say £5m as a compensation figure is probably quite some money for them. If he wants to come I think it will happen.
I can see this happening.
Yep, money talks. And despite the doom and gloom on here, we should have an awful lot of it so spend this summer, both on a managerial team and new players.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
The overriding reason, is that the club's (long-held, and long-term successful) structures were not good in the short or mid term, for BRAND DE ZERBI.
Think that's definitely right. I also wonder whether the squad's view of him was universally positive. Whilst most I believe loved him and his way of working, I do think there were some who clashed with him quite a bit (definitely in the case of Sanchez and Trossard but also find it interesting looking at the players who haven't gone onto instagram etc. to declare their undying love and thanks to him)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Think that's definitely right. I also wonder whether the squad's view of him was universally positive. Whilst most I believe loved him and his way of working, I do think there were some who clashed with him quite a bit (definitely in the case of Sanchez and Trossard but also find it interesting looking at the players who haven't gone onto instagram etc. to declare their undying love and thanks to him)
I'm sure there is an element of truth in that. He was demanding, tactically cerebral, emotional and you would never have known if you were starting from one game to the next. Not every player will warm to that for sure.

But as far as the fans went he was almost universally popular. Certainly starting to lose a few with the tactical errors and press conferences, but a good proportion stayed to wish him goodbye and he got a thank you banner.

Whereas Potter seems to divide the fanbase pretty much in half.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I'm sure there is an element of truth in that. He was demanding, tactically cerebral, emotional and you would never have known if you were starting from one game to the next. Not every player will warm to that for sure.

But as far as the fans went he was almost universally popular. Certainly starting to lose a few with the tactical errors and press conferences, but a good proportion stayed to wish him goodbye and he got a thank you banner.

I've always found it interesting that despite a large proportion of people dismissing Potter as totally uninspiring and devoid of charisma, he does seem to inspire this borderline insane devotion amongst a reasonable portion of people.

I mean, I basically rate the guy and don't really have a problem with him, but I don't get that.

I never really got the De Zerbi love in either to be fair. I have considered the possibility that I'm just an emotionally bereft desert, scorched clean of all human feeling. But then I just decided that everybody else is wrong.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London

Loved Potter when he was here and felt he did an amazing job. It was a complete revolution from the Chris Hughton era in terms of how we played, De Zerbi was more of an evolution. That said, didn't like the way he left and some of the comments made after his time here. Am pleased he isn't coming back (although would have supported him and the team obviously if he had).

As for De Zerbi, if you'd told me at the beginning of the season he was leaving at the end, I would have been devastated. Am now just a bit upset he's gone - the constant sniping at the board and Bloom really did begin to grate. Am pleased he has left now as I do feel we would have had a full-on Poyet scenario if he'd stayed any longer. Meanwhile, now, as you say, he's generally still incredibly popular amongst the fans and the club...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here