Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fabian Hürzeler **SINGED 15/06/2024**

Would Fabian Hurzeler be a good replacement for RDZ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
To me it looks like Hurzeler represents an evolution of RDZ's tactics; Rydstrom would represent the first attempt to play Dinizismo in one of Europe's big leagues; and Potter represents, well, Potterball.

I feel like Rydstrom is the one that's potentially the most fun, but also the highest risk; Potter is the "safe" candidate we'll go for if Bloom's more worried than he's let on about the state of the squad; and that Hurzeler is the "overall best fit" from Tony Bloom's perspective, and probably who we're most seriously pursuing right now.

That oversimplifies many things, as summaries always do, but I think I'm not far off. And honestly at this point I just want someone in post. Potter is definitely my last choice but if he's Bloom's first choice then so be it (but I'm guessing Hurzeler is Bloom's first choice out of these three).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Impossible to say if he'll be a good replacement. I highly doubt that anyone who has voted 'Yes' has even seen St. Pauli play, let alone look at the data, or how easily he would adapt to the Premier League.

Give him a season in the Bundesliga and then we have a candidate, if he's not already been snapped up by another club.
I agree that it's impossible to say but in the same way what are we supposed to do for a season?
Appoint someone on a temporary basis or expect the new coach to leave ?

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Impossible to say if he'll be a good replacement. I highly doubt that anyone who has voted 'Yes' has even seen St. Pauli play, let alone look at the data, or how easily he would adapt to the Premier League.

Give him a season in the Bundesliga and then we have a candidate, if he's not already been snapped up by another club.
I voted yes and saw them play a few weeks ago. But I was at a German club and got through rather a lot of beers with a Hamburg fan who does NOT like St. Pauli so will admit was only half watching.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Normally someone so young would have an old head as his assistant.
Anybody know anything about his assistant and back room team ?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
To me it looks like Hurzeler represents an evolution of RDZ's tactics; Rydstrom would represent the first attempt to play Dinizismo in one of Europe's big leagues; and Potter represents, well, Potterball.

I feel like Rydstrom is the one that's potentially the most fun, but also the highest risk; Potter is the "safe" candidate we'll go for if Bloom's more worried than he's let on about the state of the squad; and that Hurzeler is the "overall best fit" from Tony Bloom's perspective, and probably who we're most seriously pursuing right now.

That oversimplifies many things, as summaries always do, but I think I'm not far off. And honestly at this point I just want someone in post. Potter is definitely my last choice but if he's Bloom's first choice then so be it (but I'm guessing Hurzeler is Bloom's first choice out of these three).
Well as a fan, he’d be my first choice, but as the man in charge I may be in two minds about how safe I’d play it. Assuming all three current favourites are on the shortlist TB has a conundrum!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Especially brilliant clubs like St Pauli. But as he's suggested that he wants a release clause in his contract then I suppose he's psychologically half-way out of the door anyway.

According to this Kicker article, he wanted the release clause but the club refused to allow one.

However St Pauli's highest ever player transfer out is €4.5m, so I guess a deal could be negotiated.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Normally someone so young would have an old head as his assistant.
Anybody know anything about his assistant and back room team ?

IMG_5622.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You’re talking to a big RDZ and RDZ-ball fan here. It worked. Magically.

Controversial opinion … will probably wake up to angry posts … it fell apart because our first team was decimated by sales and injuries, Ferguson stopped scoring. We weren’t “found out”. Yes, RDZ was single minded and a perfectionist, had faults, but it’s hard to see how he could’ve gone low block. We didn’t have the quality pivots (even Arsenal often play two in Rice and Jorginho to shut up shop) or non-injured game changers to destroy on the counter.
Spot on IMO. I don’t really see how this is even controversial, other than people will take it as criticism of Bloom. It’s not. We picked a strategy and it didn’t quite pay off. Happens in every business. However…

really? 😶

Defensively we were utterly dreadful in that game!
I was there and I was worried every time they attacked. Luckily I also thought we’d score every time we attacked. And mostly I’m fine with that. I’d rather win 5-2 than 1-0.

The problem was thinking Roma would be exactly the same. I was disappointed with RDZ that day and it killed our season off.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You’re talking to a big RDZ and RDZ-ball fan here. It worked. Magically.

Controversial opinion … will probably wake up to angry posts … it fell apart because our first team was decimated by sales and injuries, Ferguson stopped scoring. We weren’t “found out”. Yes, RDZ was single minded and a perfectionist, had faults, but it’s hard to see how he could’ve gone low block. We didn’t have the quality pivots (even Arsenal often play two in Rice and Jorginho to shut up shop) or non-injured game changers to destroy on the counter.
Don’t often disagree with you, but I do on this.

Successive teams exploited the weakness of the RdZ which is transition after loss of possession. The full backs are so far up the field that there is a massive hole to exploit or alternatively, a 2 on 1 is easily worked.

We didn’t lose by 6 at Villa and 4 at Luton because they were that number of goals better than us, we lost because RdZ was worked out, and he didn’t adjust.
Well IMO anyway….

The injuries and sales clearly didn’t help, but neither did the tactics.

Still my favourite manager, and like you was a big fan, but in his next job he needs to work out how to adjust to what is a big flaw.

Edit - voted don’t know, because I know nothing about St Pauli.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Don’t often disagree with you, but I do on this.

Successive teams exploited the weakness of the RdZ which is transition after loss of possession. The full backs are so far up the field that there is a massive hole to exploit or alternatively, a 2 on 1 is easily worked.

We didn’t lose by 6 at Villa and 4 at Luton because they were that number of goals better than us, we lost because RdZ was worked out, and he didn’t adjust.
Well IMO anyway….

The injuries and sales clearly didn’t help, but neither did the tactics.

Still my favourite manager, and like you was a big fan, but in his next job he needs to work out how to adjust to what is a big flaw.

Edit - voted don’t know, because I know nothing about St Pauli.

Agree, most teams that are in bad form or losing regularly go back to basics. Easier and safer to defend in depth than hope things work out by continuing to go gung ho. RDZ did go some way to sorting this in a few of the last few games of the season though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree, most teams that are in bad form or losing regularly go back to basics. Easier and safer to defend in depth than hope things work out by continuing to go gung ho. RDZ did go some way to sorting this in a few of the last few games of the season though.
Yes, but the goal at Newcastle was familiar and Utd in the second half was very poor

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blimey he's younger than Dunk and almost young enough to call Milner Dad

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Does he have a back room team to bring with him?

It’s needed and we’ll be fine about it.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
not sure is been posted before
The ten minute video (5 post before) is well presented and not too technical.
It's well worth watching, I found it both reassuring and exciting.
If we manage to get Fabian Hürzeler to come to Brighton I think we're in for an entertaining ride.

I also hope it encourages Pascal Groß to stay a little longer and help him.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So much hype around young managers with strong XG stats but not necessarily much success.
This would be a massive gamble imo.
And I don’t understand what’s wrong with experienced managers.

EDIT Have done some more research. He actually sounds amazing. And who needs midfielders anyway. I’m in.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here