Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Semis to be played at Wembley from next year, good or bad?

FA Semis At Wembley

• Good

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Bad

Votes: 82 91.1%

• Total voters

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Personally I think it sucks away the glory of reaching the final and that once in a life time visit to Wembley. I mean we have the huge Old Trafford & Arsenals new gaff to host decent semis, the FA have f***ed this one up....which aint new!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Marc said:
Personally I think it sucks away the glory of reaching the final and that once in a life time visit to Wembley. I mean we have the huge Old Trafford & Arsenals new gaff to host decent semis, the FA have f***ed this one up....which aint new!
They need to make as much MONEY from Wemberly as they can. That's all there is to it. Yeah it takes away from the final, but it also takes away from the FAs debt.

:down:

crosbysleftear

Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Hold both semis in Cardiff, it's a cracking stadium and right in the heart of the city so everyone has a good time. That way the semis are special and so is the final for different reasons.

Money will win though :(

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
We have some great League grounds now. Why not use them and make going to Wembley a bit more special for the fans :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought that this was always the plan. As somebody else has said, the FA need to generate as much money from Wembley as they possibly can.

The only positive from it is that more fans will be able to get tickets to see the games.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Couldn't give a f*** as I we're unlikely to be in an FA cup semi until Wembley 3 is being built anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
BUTTERBALL said:
A joke really. Detracts from the glory of the final. The Millennium Stadium would be a far better option.

We've had this debate 361 times before though. Great stadium the MillStad, but its just in the wrong place. Pick just about any two random clubs from the top two divisions for your theortical semi-final, and Cardiff is a stupid place for them to all travel to.

Newcastle v Liverpool on the Saturday.
Ipswich v Bolton on the Sunday

Huge amounts of travelling, changing of trains, enforced overnight stays, etc.

At least if its in London, most towns have a direct rail link.
Most years at least 2 semi-finalists would be London clubs anyway, so cuts the travelling down altogether. [Maybe they're just thinking of the carbon footprint!]

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
hans kraay fan club said:
Cardiff is a stupid place for them to all travel to.

Newcastle v Liverpool on the Saturday.
Ipswich v Bolton on the Sunday

Huge amounts of travelling, changing of trains, enforced overnight stays, etc.

At least if its in London, most towns have a direct rail link.
Most years at least 2 semi-finalists would be London clubs anyway, so cuts the travelling down altogether. [Maybe they're just thinking of the carbon footprint!]
Since when did the FA give a shit about how far fans have to travel. This is about money, nothing else

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lets face it, the FA have to start clawing back the £800million spent on the Stadium, and this is one way they can do it.

It's all about the money, of course

Personally, I think it detracts from the event, but as Brighton are unlikely to be directly effected by it for the forseeable future, I am not all that bothered !!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Purely a financial decision. All the FA are interested in is money as anybody who remembers our troubles in 95/96 especially will tell you. They set up the Premier League for money alone and the England team have steadily declined since 1990.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Billy the Fish said:
Since when did the FA give a shit about how far fans have to travel. This is about money, nothing else

Of course. I'm not suggesting for one second that the FA have made the decision based on what is good for the fans. Just replying to somebody's suggestion that Cardiff is a better option.

I my opinion they should go back to neutral grounds, selected after the draw, to suit the two clubs playing. They need to be big grounds though, so the fans don't miss out.

Old Trafford and The Emirates would seem ideal, for northern / southern teams respectively. Harder when you get say Man U v Chelsea. Where do you play that. Geographically Villa Park makes sense, but its really not big enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here