Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup Semi-Final v Man Utd - 4:30pm, Sunday 23rd April

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The club really should have done a window for people who didn’t have MyAlbion+ but had attended 3 games this season before it went to guests.

However as somebody who hasn’t bothered going to a game since Boxing Day 2020 but who has friends in Cat1 I am quite frankly delighted with the unfair system.
I think this probably would have been about 100 people at most in reality. Everyone I know who goes more than once a season, but isn't a STH, picks up a membership so they can have priority for the games that they can attend and would therefore be eligible for Wembley tickets ahead of guests. The club can't have on-sale categories that only cater to a small number of people, it's a waste of time.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Maybe the club should prioritise those who went to the cup games - as far as I am aware Grimsby did not sell out , I wonder how many of the fans who can't get to Wembley attended that game.... Perhaps they should have offered vouchers guaranteeing a seat for semi-final.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe the club should prioritise those who went to the cup games - as far as I am aware Grimsby did not sell out , I wonder how many of the fans who can't get to Wembley attended that game.... Perhaps they should have offered vouchers guaranteeing a seat for semi-final.
Nah - that's moving the goalposts.

To retrospectively introduce such a rule absolutely would NOT be fair. If you are going to have a "priority for later cup rounds" rule, it has to be announced in advance so people know the rules they are playing by, and can adjust their behaviour to suit, if they wish.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’m an ex-STH, probably been to over 250 games home and away from league 2 and up, but moved away from Brighton 9 years ago. Since then I’ve never needed a membership to attend the 6/7 games I now get to per season (like Leeds a few wks ago), same position as all my friends who left home...so never bought one. Small sample size, but I think pretty common. Thankfully a Good Samaritan on here sorted me for the semi.

People saying ‘just get a membership’ is all well and good, and I probably now will next year so I can get away tickets. But it still misses the point that non-membership, and in many case non-Brighton (or even football!) fans got ahead of many genuine fans like me. I know at least a dozen day trippers in that category. It’s not the end of the world, but I still think they got this wrong.
When you buy tickets do you get loyalty points?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
what? he often drops the ball for no reason (Palace notably but there are others) and his on the deck distribution from the back is worse. I agree that he is probably a better shot stopper but overall I'd go with Steele
Can we do the American football thing and swap keepers depending on the situation we’re facing 😄

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Alexa, what's Facebook like?
It’s quite amusing actually. Some fake accounts/scammers are posting they’ve got tickets for sale because they bought too many or whatever. People are getting very excited … or at least they were as I think most have now cottoned on!! 🤷‍♂️

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m an ex-STH, probably been to over 250 games home and away from league 2 and up, but moved away from Brighton 9 years ago. Since then I’ve never needed a membership to attend the 6/7 games I now get to per season (like Leeds a few wks ago), same position as all my friends who left home...so never bought one. Small sample size, but I think pretty common. Thankfully a Good Samaritan on here sorted me for the semi.

People saying ‘just get a membership’ is all well and good, and I probably now will next year so I can get away tickets. But it still misses the point that non-membership, and in many case non-Brighton (or even football!) fans got ahead of many genuine fans like me. I know at least a dozen day trippers in that category. It’s not the end of the world, but I still think they got this wrong.
You've got by without a membership, but you've also always been aware that membership would give you greater priority. You just didn't feel like that enhanced priority was a benefit worth paying for - entirely understandable.

It's like someone driving around without a seatbelt on. "I've never had a crash so I don't need to wear it." When you find out you do need it, it's a bit late.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The only thing they could have improved is to put a window in place for all those with a 3 or 4 game purchase history before the STH guests scramble for tickets yesterday. And knowing how well our club is run, that's probably what they'll do next time this happens. But let's keep this in proportion - by the time that window opened, there were only about 2-3,000 tickets available. And of those, I'd guess at least half went to people with a purchase history anyway, maybe nearer two thirds.

So the reality is that the number of people who "unfairly" failed to get a ticket is probably only around 1,000. Worth improving the system for (as above), but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and talk as if the whole system is wrong. It clearly isn't.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The affordability point is bollocks, if you can pay for a Wembley trip then a £30 membership is doable. The main gripe imo are the many non-Brighton fans who have been able to skip the queue ahead of genuine fans with genuine reasons for not having a membership. I know about 15 United fans in our end who are mates with STH…
Then that’s on the STHs who bought tickets for Utd fans! Not good and may backfire big time for them!!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
As someone who is no longer a STH and didn't buy Albion+ membership, I took the view long ago that I was at the back of the queue. Luckily a STH bought for me in the first guests window but it was a chance I took. Next season I'll be buying Albion+ membership from the start.

What I don't get is that these apparent die hard Albion fans don't actually know anyone who couldn't have got them tickets, much as I did. I mean, I understand that not all passionate Albion fans are STHs, and even that they didn't buy membership (I fit into this category myself), but the idea that you don't have either AND you don't know Albion fans who can get tix for you seems very very strange to me. I think I'd have bought Albion+ membership if I felt that strongly that I might miss out.
Probably the most reasoned response on this thread, and entirely correct.

I do think that there are a lot of people who lost interest in the Albion in the wilderness years, who are a bit annoyed they're at the back of the queue (referring to the second paragraph, not yourself @Simster) now we are doing well. They seem to have lost the links to the club and have no interest in engaging unless it suits them (e.g. a nice trip to Wembley on a Sunday afternoon). It's hard to argue that should warrant a ticket.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Basically it’s impossible to please everyone when it comes to these ticketing sagas, there will always be someone who feels hard done by.

You could argue all those who got bought tickets by good Samaritans on here are doing some others out of tickets, I’m not sure what makes people more deserving of tickets than others. (Outside of members/STH)

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
You've got by without a membership, but you've also always been aware that membership would give you greater priority. You just didn't feel like that enhanced priority was a benefit worth paying for - entirely understandable.

It's like someone driving around without a seatbelt on. "I've never had a crash so I don't need to wear it." When you find out you do need it, it's a bit late.
Mmm, not quite. I had always assumed I wouldn’t need to buy a membership for ‘enhanced priority’ over all the United fans who I know are now in our end. Obviously would fully expect to be bottom of the pile measured against every other category of attendee, but this part was wrong (and I think more common than some assume).

Anyway I’ll have a membership next year, so Barbs will be pleased.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
The only thing they could have improved is to put a window in place for all those with a 3 or 4 game purchase history before the STH guests scramble for tickets yesterday. And knowing how well our club is run, that's probably what they'll do next time this happens. But let's keep this in proportion - by the time that window opened, there were only about 2-3,000 tickets available. And of those, I'd guess at least half went to people with a purchase history anyway, maybe nearer two thirds.

So the reality is that the number of people who "unfairly" failed to get a ticket is probably only around 1,000. Worth improving the system for (as above), but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and talk as if the whole system is wrong. It clearly isn't.
Agree, I did say they got it mostly right.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mmm, not quite. I had always assumed I wouldn’t need to buy a membership for ‘enhanced priority’ over all the United fans who I know are now in our end. Obviously would fully expect to be bottom of the pile measured against every other category of attendee, but this part was wrong (and I think more common than some assume).

I think that's a bit unfair.

Priority to buy tickets is the cornerstone benefit of membership, and always has been. You've been able to buy tickets for games without having one, so didn't feel you needed to pay for membership. As I say - entirely reasonable.

But a game has come along where Demand > Supply and, suddenly, that ticket-buying priority has value.

Everyone I know, and I include myself, has used their STH + guest purchase(s) for friends and family not Man Utd fans.

But, as I said last night, I can certainly see the case that those who have bought match tickets for games should have first claim on tickets over anonymous guests but, again, the club have always been very clear on the benefit of membership.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Whatever any club decides is the best way of giving priority to fans for games will drive criticism.

The reward has to be to those that commit the most. Yes many can afford to buy ST's and to go to away games and still go on their holidays each year. Others need to sacrifice things to prioritise what they enjoy most. I haven't, apart from long weekends gone on holiday for 20+ years. My late wife also didn't really want to go as she had her horses etc to look after, this gave me the funds to fully enjoy my hobby and her her's.

I don't mind helping those I believe to be proper fans in getting them tickets and have done so, but it even ended up with me having an argument with one of sons who believed he was entitled, no son you're not. I did get him a ticket but reminded him he could have helped himself by being a member but he squeaks as he walks.

IF, if, we get Europe next season there will be even more discord, those moaning of their entitlement to a ticket away in some way out backwater in Poland.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014

Hopefully a few nice, long bans are dished out to anyone who's caught providing United fans with guest tickets. An absolutely ridiculous thing to do considering how many genuine Albion fans seem to have missed out

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
I think that's a bit unfair.

Priority to buy tickets is the cornerstone benefit of membership, and always has been. You've been able to buy tickets for games without having one, so didn't feel you needed to pay for membership. As I say - entirely reasonable.

But a game has come along where Demand > Supply and, suddenly, that ticket-buying priority has value.

Everyone I know, and I include myself, has used their STH + guest purchase(s) for friends and family not Man Utd fans.

But, as I said last night, I can certainly see the case that those who have bought match tickets for games should have first claim on tickets over anonymous guests but, again, the club have always been very clear on the benefit of membership.
I’m not arguing about the benefits of membership though. I agree I’ve been fully aware of the benefits, including priority for certain tickets. The gripe is directed at all the non-fan day trippers and, most annoyingly, United fans. If the ability to buy guest tickets for big games was listed as a STH benefit from the start of the season I’d have no argument, but it was a decision made recently.

Hopefully more tickets will be released so a lot of the genuine fans I know who have missed out can go anyway.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Basically it’s impossible to please everyone when it comes to these ticketing sagas, there will always be someone who feels hard done by.

You could argue all those who got bought tickets by good Samaritans on here are doing some others out of tickets, I’m not sure what makes people more deserving of tickets than others. (Outside of members/STH)
Those that asked got help (believe most did). Taking the chance of asking nicely on here and posters being able to talk to them privately to ascertain their "fan" status is a good way of self policing and ensuring our fans are getting the tickets. I wouldn't have helped a bloke down the pub who just fancied a day out but never been to a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here