Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA cup 4th round, Sheffield united

BenPage

Nov 2, 2023
Can anyone tell me what the likely date of the 4th round vs sheffield will be on and ticketing sales dates by any chance? presumably if on a weekend they would give a large allocation?

cheers.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Funny you bring this up, as there has been an alteration in the prices from 5th Feb as a pilot on LNER, which is eliminating off peak and super off peak fares, which is a price rise from £87 to £193. This is just price gouging from the companies and DfT. It’s an independent regulator that sets the prices but this what happens when you have a fragmented rail system.

Quite comedically if you need to get a late notice need to go to Newcastle after February you are better off getting a ticket a station further to Manors, which saves you over £100.

This is also being introduced because it means LNER will encourage you to get advance tickets (which will now be dynamically priced) which no longer have the £87 limit, and can keep on rising. The catch is because of the other operators if you get an anytime or off peak ticket you have to share the money you make, but an LNER advance, LNER get all the money. This has come around because basically too many people are getting certain trains but LNER aren’t getting all the profit, and LNER want to spread people across instead of doing what they should do and increase capacity. They are going to sell it like an airline and make it so expensive that walk ups are too expensive and people don’t bother, or they essentially prey on the vulnerable and need to travel.

It’s doing absolutely nothing to help the passenger to make it more inconvinient and more profit. Basically the whole system is a scam, it needs nationalising, but it won’t be. A lot of people don’t really know how it all works, and think the government have nothing to do with it, but they are the only ones who can fix it. For me it’s the DfT essentially doing managed decline, to stop people using the railway instead of investing in improving the system, which is really symptomatic of this whole country at the moment.
You do realise that LNER are government run? Any profit is the taxpayers. This actually simplifies the ticketing structure, one of the main reasons people currently cite as a reason they dont use rail. The stuff about not wanting to share profit from other oprerators is pure gubbins. Currently all cost and revenue sits on the DFTs balance sheet. No one is talking profit from anybody with the exception of open access operators such as Hull Trains and Lumo. Lastly, show me where standard advance tickets arent available late notice to Newcastle cheaper than £87 during most of the day? Looking at whats available tomorrow dubunks your narrative instantly. Plenty of tickets around the £60 mark. People are desperate to slag off rail without presenting the full picture.

Last edited:

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
65 tickets left in BL4 (FA Cup)

5 tickets left in BL4 (Premier League)

Wonder if the upper tier blocks will be opened soon?
With tickets being available to MyAlbion+ members for over 24 hours and with 55 now currently remaining for the cup game, I struggle to see a justification of opening the upper tier.

Unless they can do so with one upper tier block but all depends on logistics, costs etc I guess

Ah, that makes sense. So 2000 must have have 310+ points then
It looks like they calculated it just on lower tier so nearer the 3,000 mark (as indicated by Spurs too)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You do realise that LNER are government run? Any profit is the taxpayers. This actually simplifies the ticketing structure, one of the main reasons people currently cite as a reason they dont use rail. The stuff about not wanting to share profit from other oprerators is pure gubbins. Currently all cost and revenue sits on the DFTs balance sheet. No one is talking profit from anybody with the exception of open access operators such as Hull Trains and Lumo. Lastly, show me where standard advance tickets arent available late notice to Newcastle cheaper than £87 during most of the day? Looking at whats available tomorrow dubunks your narrative instantly. Plenty of tickets around the £60 mark. People are desperate to slag off rail without presenting the full picture.
I've got to admire anybody who, when considering the array of options open to them, opts to take the "jackalbion knows nothing about the railways" line of argument onto a thread.
Pure balls. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
With tickets being available to MyAlbion+ members for over 24 hours and with 55 now currently remaining for the cup game, I struggle to see a justification of opening the upper tier.

Unless they can do so with one upper tier block but all depends on logistics, costs etc I guess
Yep I agree. Too slow. That said, if you're someone that assumed the upper tier was opening you wouldn't be buying until it does?

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Yep I agree. Too slow. That said, if you're someone that assumed the upper tier was opening you wouldn't be buying until it does?
I would have preferred the top tier but i bottled it ages ago. Anybody who is still waiting for it must surely be nervous now.
I suppose it now depends on how many blocks the club would have to commit to.
35 left for the cup match and the league has sold out which i think is a great effort.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I would have preferred the top tier but i bottled it ages ago. Anybody who is still waiting for it must surely be nervous now.
I suppose it now depends on how many blocks the club would have to commit to.
35 left for the cup match and the league has sold out which i think is a great effort.
I bottled it too Dave, yesterday - decided not to risk it - in block 3 for both

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I also use splitmyfare. As stated you sometimes get lots of tickets but just put them in order of each journey and you'll be fine. Here are my tickets for me and my boy for Forest away recently. With a Railcard you also save a fortune and normally recoup the £30 outlay in 1 trip.

I paid £110 (super off peak return) for train ticket for this match. Ruddy expensive. The service is that rubbish got £55 back when claiming for delays

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
No I don’t realise LNER are government run? Of course I do. LUMO and Hull Trains are not the main fare abstractors on this route, Cross Country, Transpennine and Grand Central are also there, so that isn’t pure Gubbins. It’s incredibly complicated at the moment, but the profit is incredibly up in there, and I don’t rate LNER as a TOC at all. Tomorrow isn’t a busy travel day so it’s not going to be £87 is it, that’s before you even factor in that quite often services are taken off sale completely, like on Avanti and do not travel. Raising the price of walk up fares at 12:30pm from £87 to £192 is simplifying it, but it’s making it more than 100% more expensive. How is it in any way better for the passenger this new system? Other than there only being two options. I mean I’m more than happy to advocate for the railways, as I use them (and to an extent run them), but the profit gouging is the problem. I can present you the full picture for plenty of other routes. But of course to you it’s just someone slagging off the railways (which it isn’t) it’s just crappy profiteering on routes, instead of increasing capacity.

Edit: I mean you only need to look above at halfaseat paying £110 to Nottingham to see what happens when there is high demand on certain days. A walk up fare under a simple to use railway should not have the only option being £194 at all hours of the day.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I paid £110 (super off peak return) for train ticket for this match. Ruddy expensive. The service is that rubbish got £55 back when claiming for delays
I went to Ludlow recently, and the train I was going to catch home was cancelled (well, it wasn't cancelled - it set off from Cardiff late, and they decided not to stop at most of the stations to catch up). So, I had to spend an extra hour in a lovely town, having a nice cup of tea, and pottering around a few additional shops. And for the 'inconvenience' of that - they refunded the whole 100% of my ticket - which was great, as my sister from Bristol, and the other from Nottingham had both been saying how much cheaper their tickets were - and mine then worked out to be cheapest of all.

A month later, I went to Preston. On the way there, I noticed that the train home had already been cancelled. Again, I just re-arranged my plans, had a nice pint in a fantastic pub and enjoyed a longer day out than intended. 50% refund this time.

But the point is, I have realised that with all the websites like Rail Delay and so on - it would be very easy to find a train that was delayed or cancelled on the route being used. Then all you would have to do is claim that you were intending to catch the said train, and you'll get a refund. No wonder they are losing money.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I went to Ludlow recently, and the train I was going to catch home was cancelled (well, it wasn't cancelled - it set off from Cardiff late, and they decided not to stop at most of the stations to catch up). So, I had to spend an extra hour in a lovely town, having a nice cup of tea, and pottering around a few additional shops. And for the 'inconvenience' of that - they refunded the whole 100% of my ticket - which was great, as my sister from Bristol, and the other from Nottingham had both been saying how much cheaper their tickets were - and mine then worked out to be cheapest of all.

A month later, I went to Preston. On the way there, I noticed that the train home had already been cancelled. Again, I just re-arranged my plans, had a nice pint in a fantastic pub and enjoyed a longer day out than intended. 50% refund this time.

But the point is, I have realised that with all the websites like Rail Delay and so on - it would be very easy to find a train that was delayed or cancelled on the route being used. Then all you would have to do is claim that you were intending to catch the said train, and you'll get a refund. No wonder they are losing money.
I worked with someone, who did this all the time, asked everyone who commuted on the same line if there had been any delays, and put refund requests in whenever someone had been affected regardless of whether they had been on that train, or even working that day. Worked fine, until a few in the office said they had all been delayed on the same train, when it was a rare day when everything ran (nearly) on time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That works until you end up in court accused of fraud and, as has happened to some others who did the same thing, end up with a custodial sentence.

This person from Hove got off relatively lightly - https://www.brightonandhovenews.org...t-making-2k-worth-of-fake-delay-repay-claims/

Digital ticketing technology leaves a breadcrumb trail that the fraud teams of the railway companies are able to follow.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
That works until you end up in court accused of fraud and, as has happened to some others who did the same thing, end up with a custodial sentence.

This person from Hove got off relatively lightly - https://www.brightonandhovenews.org...t-making-2k-worth-of-fake-delay-repay-claims/

Digital ticketing technology leaves a breadcrumb trail that the fraud teams of the railway companies are able to follow.
i was going to say, I know someone who fell foul of this, and had to pay it all back!

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
No I don’t realise LNER are government run? Of course I do. LUMO and Hull Trains are not the main fare abstractors on this route, Cross Country, Transpennine and Grand Central are also there, so that isn’t pure Gubbins. It’s incredibly complicated at the moment, but the profit is incredibly up in there, and I don’t rate LNER as a TOC at all. Tomorrow isn’t a busy travel day so it’s not going to be £87 is it, that’s before you even factor in that quite often services are taken off sale completely, like on Avanti and do not travel. Raising the price of walk up fares at 12:30pm from £87 to £192 is simplifying it, but it’s making it more than 100% more expensive. How is it in any way better for the passenger this new system? Other than there only being two options. I mean I’m more than happy to advocate for the railways, as I use them (and to an extent run them), but the profit gouging is the problem. I can present you the full picture for plenty of other routes. But of course to you it’s just someone slagging off the railways (which it isn’t) it’s just crappy profiteering on routes, instead of increasing capacity.

Edit: I mean you only need to look above at halfaseat paying £110 to Nottingham to see what happens when there is high demand on certain days. A walk up fare under a simple to use railway should not have the only option being £194 at all hours of the day.
Sorry you are full of nonsense. Show me one day where you cant get a single advance fare cheaper than £87 on the new LNER simplified fares routes where a train isnt already fully reserved (ie all the seats are sold out)? Where are you getting £192 from? There are always cheaper options than that, You are picking the highest possible fare to sensationalise, You said tomorrow isnt a busy travel day? Fridays (and Sundays) are the busiest day of the week by far on that route ffs, you literally have no idea what you are talking about. Tabloid journalism tactics. And Lumo is hugely abstractive, I see the numbers every day. TPE and XC are minuscule in comparison on that route. I also noted your daft statement earlier about putting on more capacity (on an already half hourly service on a ridiculously busy east coast mainline). And from which spare fleet exactly do you propose that capacity comes from? The business is already running the remnants of the 40 year old 225 fleet at a loss to keep the current timetable going, and has zero flex until the new CAF fleet arrives in a few years time to enable the improved timetable in 2024.

There will almost always be cheaper advance tickets than the current open fares unless the trains are completely full ,and then people wiill be discouraged from paying high fares to stand up, which is surely better than the current scenario of pay high fares and no seat because the reservations are full on felx tickets no one undertstands unless you are a rail nerd? At the end of the day more times than not customers will get a better deal. Ive analysed the financial modelling in depth and worked on the business case.

You're just running your mouth off with zero facts. If you want to take this offline I can debunk pretty much every single thing you think about the new fares and have said on here, Im sure everyone else would get bored to tears with railway commercial financial modelling.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

All well and good, and I’m glad you made the most of your delays and issues, but for lots of people this wouldn’t work. Attending work, meetings, theatre shows, football matches etc all with a set start time is very stressful even allowing time for delays and cancellations. When I go into the West End I allow twice as long as it should take, and that’s on a fairly reliable route.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here