Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F1 title - will Hamilton **** it up again

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
He had no more "bad luck" than Lewis. How about Monaco were Lewis was told not to race Alonso? Or China where McLaren kept Lewis out too long and caused him to crash in the pit lane? There's two examples of Alonso making up points on Lewis through no fault of Lewis himself.

Id say Alonso had more bad luck, but only slightly. But then they did finish with 1 point between them, so a slight difference is alot.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
i wont lose any sleep over him not winning it - its all about kimi for me, a man, who if he actually gave a toss about winning, should be able to wipe the floor with everyone on that grid, possibly bar alonso

Cant warm to Kimi at all, his tone in interviews is so monotone, it makes want to throw something at the telly to trying install some passion or excitement in the man.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
The thing is with Lewis, "if he has a big enough rope he will hang himself." If you look at all the times this year he has been penalised it has been at times when he has not needed to do the things he has done.

Regardless if the penalties were justified or not you cant argue the facts:-

1. Magny Cours 2008 - going around the outside of Vettel in that chicane, running wide on he kerb and getting a penalty. At the end of the day he was in a far superior car and would have picked Vettel off at some point - there was no need to risk taking both himself and Vettel out on lap 1. Its almost as if the red mist comes down because he is behind a Ferrari and his brain switches off, or he forgets where his left foot is! Lots of points lost there!

2. Spa 2008 - Lewis was not racing Kimi for the 2008 title (we have known this since June), we all know he is racing Massa. We all know what happened at "Chicanegate" and it was an absolute rediculous penalty but there was no real need for Hamilton to make the move. Again, he caught Kimi so quickly in that lap before the chicane there was no doubt he would have passed him at some point in the last two laps!

3. Fuji 2008 - see above - I think Brundle summed it up well, he left his brain on the grid. Again, I think the penalty was harsh but what was he thinking of? THERE WAS NO NEED TO RACE KIMI - he was ahead of Massa with Kovalainen in between them! Heaps of points lost!!

Perhaps the worst one of them all..... China 2007 - 17 points ahead of Kimi, two races to go. Alonso - his main title rival at that point behind him on the track yet he still felt the need to race Kimi, pushing his luck on numerous occasions before ultimately ending up in the gravel in the bloody pit lane!

Maybe if Lewis didnt race like this he wouldnt be the EXCEPTIONAL driver that we all know he is but Alonso proved in 2005 and 2006 that consistency and playing the percentage game will win you the world drivers championship. There is plenty of time to drive the way he is once the championship is in your pocket!

In my mind, there is very little doubt that if Lewis had played the percentage game we would already be witnessing a British double world champion - before 2008 has even finished!

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
What bad luck did he have? I remember him CRASHING the McLaren, but I don't remember too many times where the team/car let him down.

Theres quite a few times when his car had small problems which meant he finished like 5th or 7th, whereas Lewis got consistent podiums.

Overall Hewis Lamilton, Fernando, Kimi and Robert are easily better than anyone else. But on their day its hard to call whos best, it varies i guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here