Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F1 Singapore Grand Prix

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I must admit to not being up with F1 but can somebody explain why when the safety car comes out everybody is able to close upon each other thus LH lost his 2.4 sec lead. How difficult would it be for the safety car to be told the time lead and then pull over to one side of the track and wave through the cars each in turn so that the lead they had was preserved. ie wave Hamilton through then 2.4 sec later wave Rosberg through and so forth down the line.

This is the first season for F1 I've actually watched, but my understanding is that the safety car is just something that the drivers have to deal with. You can't help crashing, it's a part of the sport and realistically you can't expect the safety car to then put the cars back to the leads they had before it came out... it is completely unworkable. It seems a bit harsh, especially if you had a 10 second lead at the front or something similar, but that's the sport.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I accept that it is part of the sport, for want of another word to describe it but cannot undserstand why the saety car cannot get a computer print out of the positions and time leads and as I say wave the car through at those intervals to continue the race.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I accept that it is part of the sport, for want of another word to describe it but cannot undserstand why the saety car cannot get a computer print out of the positions and time leads and as I say wave the car through at those intervals to continue the race.

Does that seem possible to you? It would be impossible to implement that, unless they stopped the cars at the front of the track and then let each of them go at the appropriate intervals. It just wouldn't work, BG, I see what you're saying and to be fair, you've got a point because it does give a massive disadvantage to the race leaders who have built up their lead. But that's just how it is, like every other sport, it has its imperfections.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Lewis Hamilton wins, led for the entire race, Superb drive. :yahoo:

Good drive from Glock also who finishes 2'nd.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Foreign race fans must get tired of hearing our national anthem. Well done Lewis.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having just spoken with my brother who is very into F1 and he says that it would be impracticle because of the speed that cars reach in such a short time. If LH was 2.4 secs in front by the time the 2nd car wet he would be abpout 4 secs up, I must admit I know very liittle about F1 and it shows.:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here