Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

f*** off Allardyce

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm sure it's what Barcelona would have done had they gone to the Britannia on Weds night instead of the Emirates

Actually, that's an interesting example. Would Stoke look at a game against Barca and think "ooh, maybe long throws isn't going to be enough against this lot, perhaps we should try to match Barcas passing football." No, course they wouldn't. They'd give their own game their best shot, and if it's not enough, then so be it.

Blimey, the fact that Big Sam has said "ooohhh tippy-tappy football, not for me, they needed to get stuck in more" doesn't really mean a great deal coming from him does it.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
We didn't know we were going to lose playing the passing game. To read this place the last couple of weeks, and you'd think we were favourites.

All too easy in hindsight to say what we should have done differently, but I doubt there was anyone on here suggesting we should be abandoning our passing game and play some physical football against Stoke.

But did that not become obvious to you within the first quarter of an hour? The two times we got in the first half ( although they were both close offside calls) was by playing the long ball over to Murray and Barnes. I was just slightly surprised we didn't change things around a little bit, even if it was just trying to break with a bit more pace. Obviously this could easily have failed to because Stoke are a strong defensive side I just feel if Gus really wanted to we could have gone for it slightly more. Oh well.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, it was obvious after 15 mins (tbh, I thought we were in trouble when I saw they were playing their strongest team) but what changes would you have made after 15 mins?

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Yes, it was obvious after 15 mins (tbh, I thought we were in trouble when I saw they were playing their strongest team) but what changes would you have made after 15 mins?

I would have played the game more directly, and on an entirely different point subbed off Batti for Sandaza. But that's hindsight for you...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The comparison with how Crawley did at Man Utd is just plain daft.

Stoke's team was much closer to their best team than Man Uniteds, and Crawley played their best team, we didn't. Frankly I'd have fancied us more against that Man United team than the Stoke one yesterday.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Actually, that's an interesting example. Would Stoke look at a game against Barca and think "ooh, maybe long throws isn't going to be enough against this lot, perhaps we should try to match Barcas passing football." No, course they wouldn't. They'd give their own game their best shot, and if it's not enough, then so be it.

Blimey, the fact that Big Sam has said "ooohhh tippy-tappy football, not for me, they needed to get stuck in more" doesn't really mean a great deal coming from him does it.

Exactamundo. Take Brezovan's errors out and it would have been a much closer affair. Stoke were the better team but there's no way we have the players or ability to set up for a one off game against that style of play. We're not going to come up against that again for a long time. We know our style, and it's worked bloody well this season, save for the howlers and throw in Casper, Wood and Kish or Spaz and we may have been able to get something out of the game yesterday playing OUR game

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Well Casper could just as easily played like Brez, as he always scares me on crosses, so yesterday would have been his worst nightmare.

Losing Wood was a real blow though, as that exposed our shortage in midfield with Kish, and Sparrow out, along with Noone cup-tied.

We lost to the better side, and I don't think there was anything we could have done about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here