Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F**k it, he's gone. How does club repair the damage?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It must be great being that detached from reality. We are a laughing stock, and you would have to be a deluded fool not to see that.

Agreed.

Aside from being fickle in the extreme, football fans in general tend to have long memories and partial to picking up tit bits and believing what they want to believe from that. I don't say that in a patronising way either as I know myself I have perceptions on clubs that, if I were to dig deeper into facts, would potentially be changed if I could be arsed to care.

Fact is, as a club we have come out of last nights performance in a bad light in the eyes of the majority of football fans. That's sad as I believe we've done everything by the book and I know who I believe from last night and it's not an oscar winning performer and a shoddy excuse for a quality national broadcaster that milked it for all it was worth.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think there's a massive difference between short-term laughing stock and long-term laughing stock.

Having got so much right over the last 5 years it's gone tits up but we can pull this round. The main thing is we don't turn into a long- term laughing stock club like Newcastle, Pompey, Leeds and Hearts. Normally, to achieve this comedic level, you need incompetent foreign ownership, gross financial mismanagement or a combination of both, and we have both of those things sorted.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
The way some clubs might have handled this would have been to sack first, then ask questions and then pay the inevitable compensation. Which the club then gets criticised for.
The Albion decided to ask the questions first, carry out an enquiry, and then hold a formal disciplinary - rather unusaual in football. We've yet to be told the official explanation for the suspension, but can all guess at several of the reasons. So Sunday was messy, but with the players back on Monday the Club presumably felt the need to bring the matter to a conclusion -having followed the rules of the clubs disciplinary process.
Other than the 'sack first' option what other course of action was there?
It was probably an extended suspension due to the available of key people - including Gus.
If the club avoid paying compensation, good on them - but they still miss out on any fee payable as compensation to the club.
As many people have said the constant linking with other clubs, complaints about budgets etc is corrosive to relationships, especially given the level of backing in what was his first big job. I'd say the club has been very patient and there is no major damage to repair. Time, as they say, will tell. Onwards and upwards. UTA.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Be as rude as you like, but you're talking bollocks. Our Championship club who - according to you no one gives a monkeys about - has made headlines, and very bad ones, around the world today in the close season! We are not even playing.

This comes on the back of other very embarrassing episodes for the club, also widely reported, like shit being found in the away dressing room.

You can say you don't care what anyone thinks until the cows come home but most people and organisations do care how they are perceived, otherwise you wouldn't have PR directors paid six-figure sums to take care of that business.

I can see where you're coming from but in the football industry where almost anything can happen, and does happen, our minor PR misdemeanours do not really register in the grand scheme of things IMHO.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Apart from a lot of Nigels, and a few other individual fans, we are really NOT a 'laughing stock'.

Comment on the Newport County board :

"You can only tout yourself for bigger and better jobs in the press so many times before your existing employers get pissed off though. Everyone wants to improve themselves, but he was at it week in, week out. I guess the board thought if he's that keen for a move let's get him out now and make a change before the season starts."

No one else has disagreed.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Jesus, there are some seriously precious posters on here. Yes it was in the headlines but does anyone in all honesty think Poyet only found out whilst on TV last night? Get a grip. As for headlines around the world, so what, tomorrow it will all be about Nadal and most people around the world who might have had a laugh at the video will move onto something else tomorrow. That's the nature of news in the 21st century.

As for the effect on players, do you think it affected anyone going to Man City. There are loads of clubs who have gone through a host of managers and still sign players. If we get the right man in with connections then this will all blow over.
Well said.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Apart from a lot of Nigels, and a few other individual fans, we are really NOT a 'laughing stock'.

Comment on the Newport County board :

"You can only tout yourself for bigger and better jobs in the press so many times before your existing employers get pissed off though. Everyone wants to improve themselves, but he was at it week in, week out. I guess the board thought if he's that keen for a move let's get him out now and make a change before the season starts."

No one else has disagreed.

That comment from somebody seeing the bigger picture just about sums it up I reckon

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You seem to think that it has to be all Poyet's fault or all the club's fault, and you are 100 per cent on the club's side. If anything is clear from this mess it is that there has been fault on both sides.
Indeed. I find myself sort-of agreeing with you and sort-of agreeing with those arguing against you.

I think there's a massive difference between short-term laughing stock and long-term laughing stock.

Having got so much right over the last 5 years it's gone tits up but we can pull this round. The main thing is we don't turn into a long- term laughing stock club like Newcastle, Pompey, Leeds and Hearts. Normally, to achieve this comedic level, you need incompetent foreign ownership, gross financial mismanagement or a combination of both, and we have both of those things sorted.

... and I think that sums it up best. Yes we MAY be a short-term laughing stock and this is undoubtedly not a good time - but it is just a small ripple that will be forgotten by everybody (outside of us) within a few months. The only caveat is that there are only so many times a club can do this before they DO become a real joke club. It is cumulative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here