Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Extras

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
This week was pretty good - but cringe making at times as well - as I guess the Office so often was.

I thought the Vinnie Jones/Ross Kemp confrontation last week was one of the funniest things I've seen in years. The sight of hard man Kemp crumpling in front of Vinnie, whilst dressed in full Admiral Nelson kit complete with little wig was genius.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Lord Bracknell said:
Anyone who can get Kate Winslet to accept a part like that is some sort of genius.

and say the word fanny!

:lolol:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
oops, I'm a spoon.

I shall retreat to the already open thread

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
The trouble now is that he can't go 'up' - The Office was brilliant, most of us think that, and he'll never better it.

Extras would be feted to the skies ordinarily: cringe-inducing, stars acting up, and, let's face it, there are some bloody funny scenes and cracking one-liners.

So let's not fall into the trap of 'it's cool to slag him off because he's so popular', let's just enjoy a decent bit of funny TV once a week.

And stop saying Big Brother IS decent TV.

I thank you.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I thought it had its moments today but ultimately Gervais is just playing Brent all over again. Particularly that scene in the prayer group, that was so David Brent it could have been straight out of The Office.

The humour is mostly subtle still, and attepts to be a bit controversial (the whole Celebral Palsy thing) but doesn't have the all round big laughs like The Office did.

However I did think Kate Winslet's role was very funny and I creased up when she said fanny. I'm a simple man.

clapham_gull said:
Personally I think stars playing themselves and sending themselves up in sitcoms very rarely works now.

"Sending yourself up" has become an established career move.

Agreed - the whole process of working with celebrities is a bit corrupting - only Dennis Pennis got it right, humiliate them, we don't want them in on the joke!

But Extras is still pretty damn good despite that.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
BBC2 is currently serving up some top quality tele.

How to Start your Own Country on bbc2 weds 10.00

Thursdays from 9.00
Extras, Catherine Tate and Absolute Power (which is quite frankly genius)

Then after that QI on BBC4.

Quality. And not a bit of reality TV shite anywhere.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I was actually watching 'Fat Actress' on FX which really was funny. There's no doubt in my mond that the AMericans can really produce good comedy that transends the Atlantic divide when they want to.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
First time i had seen it yesterday and i enjoyed it, made me laugh deveral times.

Much better than i thought it was going to be.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
It stikes me of the "Difficault third album." Gervais has been around for a long time, and as such has collected a vast amount of material. This has, I fear, been used in The Office and his stand up, which are both excellent.

It now comes to Extras. Instead of years of observation to draw on, and the time given to write and rewrite the scripts, the pressure is on to make the new series in this case, or an album in a musicians carrer.

Hence, this is why I feel Extras seems to be lacking. It is still good comedy, but I have noticed that most of the gags have been used before by Gervais in the past.

I do wonder if Gervais and Marchant go back to the drawing board, and deliver someting in a couple of years time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here