Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Extra seats going in.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Technically I don't think we need permission to install the seats (at least in the corners where there is already concrete in place), as long as we do not have attendances over 22,500.

Perhaps that's what Basildon Council originally said to the Dale Farm travellers? "You can stick as many static caravans as you like on the site, lads, so long as you promise not to live in them".

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Perhaps that's what Basildon Council originally said to the Dale Farm travellers? "You can stick as many static caravans as you like on the site, lads, so long as you promise not to live in them".

It depends what you count as internal, it has long been established under case law that as long as it's not a listed building you can do what you want internally. Is the outside of the Stadium bowl internal? One for the lawyers.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I believe the North and South are the same level as WSL and the East lower so should join up seamlessly!

Probably won't happen though because of the disabled sections in the corners.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Sound financial reasons would dictate that the first part of the stadium that needs more seats is the away supporters section whether that is sited.

We are turning away good revenue at the moment with teams such as West Ham, Pompey, Southampton etc by limiting their numbers to 2,500.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
I was told by someone at the club when I did the tour the other night that it would be the extra tier in the East going in first followed by the North corners and then the South corners.
No planning permission is required as there are going to be no structual changes but some kind of other permission is required and will only be granted if they can prove that they can handle up to another 10,000 people. He also said that they are think of extending the middle tier of the West and some of the upper tier into the south stand, hense the big holes that are there now. They will also add another hospitality suite in the South. Apparently it will only take about 6 weeks to do the first part of the changes as all the steel is in place. Anyway, if you haven't done the tour I would definitely recommend it as you pick up some useful info.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
i'd have to look at the conditions/legal agreement on the permission. If the stadium plans are approved and listed as a condition you could argue that the addition of the seating was only a material minor amendment to that approved rather than something that requires a full planning permission. It also depends on whether the capacity or attendance is restricted. If soI would imagine the condition would have said the capacity shall not exceed 22500 as that was what the travel plan, highway works etc had been designed/demonstrated to accommodate on match days. I would imagine therefore that the application to be submitted in December will be for variation of conditions attached to the original approval. This (very basically) means that the matters looked at are those relevant to the conditions to be varied, for example if the capacity was restricted to 22500 because that was what the travel plan and highway works accommodated in the original permission if new information was submitted to show that 30,000 people could be accommodated acceptably there would be very little grounds to refuse the variation of condition application and therefor a new, revised condition should be imposed stating the higher capacity.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yup - I reckon they'll need to sort the travel arrangements out before they get planning permission for the extra capacity (especially for evening matches), though not to install the extra seats

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I agree and I think the club must be a bit off its trolley to start any seat filling at the away end!

matt_32510
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Add as Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Bloom said on the Albion Roar that they wanted to put boxes in the south Stand as well.

Perhaps if the club sell hospitality to away fans then perhaps he has got it 'just right'

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
image.axd

Is it being moved to Brighton marina?
that looks INCREDIBLE !!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I was told by someone at the club when I did the tour the other night that it would be the extra tier in the East going in first.
Front row of the Upper East would be a prime position - I wonder if they'll go to 1901ers?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Anybody else heard about the UNDERGROUND CAR PARK! I heard a rumour on sunday about a huge underground car park being built somewhere on the stadium site (Bennets field?) with 1500 car park spaces, which will support the application for the extra seats. Just passing on this little titbit that i overheard!

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anybody else heard about the UNDERGROUND CAR PARK! I heard a rumour on sunday about a huge underground car park being built somewhere on the stadium site (Bennets field?) with 1500 car park spaces
That would be extraordinarily expensive!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Anybody else heard about the UNDERGROUND CAR PARK! I heard a rumour on sunday about a huge underground car park being built somewhere on the stadium site (Bennets field?) with 1500 car park spaces, which will support the application for the extra seats. Just passing on this little titbit that i overheard!

Interesting. I recall Martin Perry on a radio show talking about an underground car park many months ago. I thought I'd misheard at the time. I think he was talking about at the old High School site which will be vacant once the Aldridge Academy is completely finished.

The council have retained ownership of the old school site so it will be interesting to know what plans they have for it. Presumably they wouldn't build a 1500 space underground car park just to be used on match days. Maybe it will be used as a park and ride or do they have ambitions to convert Falmer station into a Parkway station?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Front row of the Upper East would be a prime position - I wonder if they'll go to 1901ers?

I was told by Martin Perry, that there will be disabled access and spaces in the front row of the upper tier in the East stand. Things may well have changed by now though. I am quite happy where I am though. Especially as apparently the South corners will be done first, and I will have home supporters below me in the corner.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Interesting. I recall Martin Perry on a radio show talking about an underground car park many months ago. I thought I'd misheard at the time. I think he was talking about at the old High School site which will be vacant once the Aldridge Academy is completely finished.

The council have retained ownership of the old school site so it will be interesting to know what plans they have for it. Presumably they wouldn't build a 1500 space underground car park just to be used on match days. Maybe it will be used as a park and ride or do they have ambitions to convert Falmer station into a Parkway station?

that would be cool... especially if that plan involves the dream double whammy... falmer station upgrade plus a jumbo matchday car park!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here