Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Extra seats at Withdean

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
My Aunt and Uncle live on Varndean Gardens and the situation with football parking there has gotten ridiculous. Loads of people park up that road when it's quite clearly slap bang in the middle of the no parking zone. All the cars and vans parked up the verges clogs up the road and makes it a right bastard to get into your house on a match day. I've seen cars parked right beside the signs saying "No football parking, Residents only" with Albion pennants and scarves on the back seat! How blatant is that? I've never seen an opposition fan park up that road, only Brighton fans. I can tell you now that people who live on Varndean Gardens are not happy and some have started taking down registration plates and reporting it to the council. Congratulations are due to anyone who parks there, you may well end up costing the club tens of thousands of pounds.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have a special secret parking space I use which is very much off the beaten track. I'm pretty sure it is outside the exclusion zone, as I still have a 10-15 minute walk to the ground. Its always empty, its very secluded, and there is some attractive shrubbery which helps conceal my murkyness. I have attracted some furtive glances from the locals, but I think that is more down to my peculiar dress sense and unique loping gait.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
The Park & Ride is extremely popular - in fact, over-subscribed. And it's far from rubbish. :shootself

goldstone: It's that attitude which got the club its slap on the wrist from the Council with a threat of a £35,000 fine. It's also the attitude which would stop us getting Falmer. Thankfully, there aren't that many selfish people who attend Withdean.

Think before you type, Oh Large Person.

I am walking for 10-15 mins from my car therefore I am outside of the restricted area.

I am not one of your "selfish people", but I don't do Park and Ride.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
My Aunt and Uncle live on Varndean Gardens and the situation with football parking there has gotten ridiculous. Loads of people park up that road when it's quite clearly slap bang in the middle of the no parking zone. All the cars and vans parked up the verges clogs up the road and makes it a right bastard to get into your house on a match day. I've seen cars parked right beside the signs saying "No football parking, Residents only" with Albion pennants and scarves on the back seat! How blatant is that? I've never seen an opposition fan park up that road, only Brighton fans. I can tell you now that people who live on Varndean Gardens are not happy and some have started taking down registration plates and reporting it to the council. Congratulations are due to anyone who parks there, you may well end up costing the club tens of thousands of pounds.

According to the map supplied with season tickets, the 'exclusion zone' on Vardean Gardens and Withdean Crescent only goes up just past the point where they split.

And unlike all the other roads, there is never any stewarding on these roads.

I don't know how the decisions were made about the zone, but this one does seem a bit strange.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
I have a special secret parking space I use which is very much off the beaten track. I'm pretty sure it is outside the exclusion zone, as I still have a 10-15 minute walk to the ground. Its always empty, its very secluded, and there is some attractive shrubbery which helps conceal my murkyness. I have attracted some furtive glances from the locals, but I think that is more down to my peculiar dress sense and unique loping gait.

Is it in the trees with the other bats all hoping to avoid a vehicular collision?

Last edited:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
They used to have a steward at the bottom of Varndean Gardens during the first two seasons at Withdean but in 2001 the stewards went and haven't been seen since. During the first 2 seasons I never heard any complaints about football parking but i've been getting more and more grief about it during the last 3 years. The residents of both roads appear to be under the impression that both roads are in the parking exclusion zone in full. The impression is probably helped by the fact that there is sometimes a "no parking" sign at the top of the hill as well as at the bottom.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
perhaps this should be clarified by the club , with the residents, and ensure that the maps and signage are accurate - before any more toys are unnecessarily thrown out of prams ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
Is it in the trees with the other bats all hoping to avoid a vehicular collision?
Thankfully I have not yet been involved in a vehicle/bat collision, although I do accept that there is an increased risk.

Last edited:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Easy 10 said:
Thankfully I have not yet been involved in a vehicle/bat collision, although I do accept that there is an increased risk.

You better make damn sure you don't. If you do, i'll send round that Environmental guy from the Public Enquiry to give you a good LECTURE.

Oh and in regards to Withdean residents, i'll try and see where the line is drawn. I always say that compared to roads around other football grounds it's pretty clear. But they're rich and have probably got a bit of time on their hands to worry about these sorts of things.
My Dad always seems to take their side which really annoys me. He also doesn't want us to go up this season, so you can imagine our conversations get pretty lively sometimes!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
You better make damn sure you don't. If you do, i'll send round that Environmental guy from the Public Enquiry to give you a good LECTURE.

Oh and in regards to Withdean residents, i'll try and see where the line is drawn. I always say that compared to roads around other football grounds it's pretty clear. But they're rich and have probably got a bit of time on their hands to worry about these sorts of things.
My Dad always seems to take their side which really annoys me. He also doesn't want us to go up this season, so you can imagine our conversations get pretty lively sometimes!

Sack your Dad and get someone else in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Le Premier Cru said:
I do, and a lot more like me. I thank the club for giving park'n'ride as an option and will continue to use it until the last bus leaves.

...specially if its success is one of the planks supporting our proposals for Falmer.

& speaking of planks Le Premier Cru...

I wasn't referring to the clubs use of buses parked at the bottom of Withdean that people leave their seats ten minutes before the final whistle for. That ain't proper Park'n'Ride as the council & the NIMBY's mean it. Proper Park & Ride's where the council lay on these yellow single decker buses that travel around town with about three people on board - and all of them are people who live near the bus stop anyway and who are just using it as a more convenient option than trolling down to their local Brighton & Hove Buses bus stop like the rest of us. That ain't ANYBODY's idea of a sustainable transport plan for the future of Brighton & Hove surely?

IMHO, like...

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
I park near some tennis courts not far from the ground.Some blokes in orange jackets (car park attendants) I think wave to me.
Great for getting away after the game follow these Coaches/buses they get police bikes with them,good idea to get people back to their cars quicker race up the hill and back in my house near the windmill.

MRRF 10

The Large One said:
East of London Road is within the restricted area. Of course, 'east of London Road' is a big area - if you look at it that way, Falmer is 'east of London Road', but you know what I mean. We are talking about Peacock Lane, Surrenden Road, Varndean Gardens and a reasonable large area like that. All out of bounds.

brabourne avenue is about 15 mins away, and my nan and grandad dont see an increase in parked cars, but i suppose it is quite busy, but no yellow lines

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
The Club is measured on two fronts.

The number of people who park inside the cordon and the number who use 'sustainable means' - park and ride, train, bus, bike and coach.

The Club are fined fairly large sums of money either as cash or in terms of remedial works for breaches.

If you use park and ride, train, bus etc you help the Club achieve both targets.

If you park outside the cordon you help in one respect but cost the Club by not using sustainable means.

If you park inside the cordon you are just an a*se who is probably costing the Club more than the price of your season ticket.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Do season ticket holders who live inside the restriction zone have to drive outside the zone to park and then come back ? Or are they liable to get the club fined if the stewards do a random check ?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Whenever I go to home games I use the most sustainable means of all: walking from my mum's house at Preston Circus to Withdean. I never tell anyone official about this, so how do the club or council know that I'm being sustainable?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here