Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Exploding pagers across Lebanon

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've been "invited" to take sides several times on this thread. I haven't done so but, in the eyes of some (not you) any failure to to do so is automatically supporting the Israeli "death machine".
Sorry to hear that.

I suspect you have been the recipient of reproach from people I have on ignore.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The Palestinians want their land back (Palestine, or Israel as we now call it). Israel is not going to let them have it. This is not something that time and common sense is going to resolve.

Just to be clear about some actual facts here:

- (although I know you were referring to the lands of ‘Palestine’ prior to 1948) - but the land ‘Palestinians’ ‘want back’ NOW, is the illegally occupied Palestinian territories of the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem which were invaded and occupied during the 6 Day War in 1967. It is ‘only’ the extremist jihadist fundamentaist terrorists that refuse to accept the State of Israel.

Repeatedly, Palestinians have recognised the State of Israel and it’s right to exist, as did the Palestinian Authority set up by Yasser Arafat and Yitzhak Rabin under the two Olso Accords in 1993-5.

The current and very extreme right wing government of Israel ie Netanyahu’s government propped up and literally held over a barrel by the fascist, Right Wing Religious Zionists in his coalition Government who are keeping him in power also want (‘Greater” ) Israel to be from the ‘river to the sea’ and free of Palestinians- it is a specific and well known policy objective.

The modern PLO were swiftly replaced by Hamas after they 'went soft', elected by the Palestinian people who apparently prefer terrorism to a negotiated settlement.
No they weren’t. And no, they don’t.

Hamas never agreed to the working towards a 2 State solution which was part of the condition that the PLO under Arafat’s leadership, demilitarised and laid down their arms and what Arafat agreed with Rabin. Nor has Netanyahu or his Lukid Party ever wanted a two State solution which is why they financed Hamas to counter the PA in the first place. Rabin was subsequently assassinated by far right Israeli Religious Zionists not Palestinians or Hamas.

The PA (the ‘modern PLO’ as you call it) is still operational in the West Bank and they collaborate with Israel on security issues - Hamas just booted them out of Gaza and the Palestinians in Gaza haven’t had an opportunity to vote in an election since 2006 - Hamas has ruled the Palestinian population with terror and the threat of death and torture since then if any one challenges their authority or collaborates with the Israelis.

Again, all ‘Palestinians’ are NOT ‘terrorists’ and it’s a blinkered view of the current Israeli Government to suggest that any one side has the monopoly on extremism.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just to be clear about some actual facts here:

- (although I know you were referring to the lands of ‘Palestine’ prior to 1948) - but the land ‘Palestinians’ ‘want back’ NOW, is the illegally occupied Palestinian territories of the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem which were invaded and occupied during the 6 Day War in 1967. It is ‘only’ the extremist jihadist fundamentaist terrorists that refuse to accept the State of Israel.

Repeatedly, Palestinians have recognised the State of Israel and it’s right to exist, as did the Palestinian Authority set up by Yasser Arafat and Yitzhak Rabin under the two Olso Accords in 1993-5.

The current and very extreme right wing government of Israel ie Netanyahu’s government propped up and literally held over a barrel by the fascist, Right Wing Religious Zionists in his coalition Government who are keeping him in power also want (‘Greater” ) Israel to be from the ‘river to the sea’ and free of Palestinians- it is a specific and well known policy objective.

No they weren’t. And no, they don’t.

Hamas never agreed to the working towards a 2 State solution which was part of the condition that the PLO under Arafat’s leadership, demilitarised and laid down their arms and what Arafat agreed with Rabin. Nor has Netanyahu or his Lukid Party ever wanted a two State solution which is why they financed Hamas to counter the PA in the first place. Rabin was subsequently assassinated by far right Israeli Religious Zionists not Palestinians or Hamas.

The PA (the ‘modern PLO’ as you call it) is still operational in the West Bank and they collaborate with Israel on security issues - Hamas just booted them out of Gaza and the Palestinians in Gaza haven’t had an opportunity to vote in an election since 2015 - Hamas has ruled the Palestinian population with terror and the threat of death and torture if any one challenges their authority or collaborates with the Israelis.

Again, all ‘Palestinians’ are NOT ‘terrorists’ and it’s a blinkered view of the current Israeli Government to suggest that any one side has the monopoly on extremism.
I said Hamas were elected.

"In 2006 Palestinian legislative election, Hamas secured a majority in the Palestinian Legislative Council by campaigning on promises of a corruption-free government and advocating for resistance as a means to liberate Palestine from Israeli occupation."

I didn't say all Palestinians are terrorists.

The rest of what you wrote is not a contradiction of anything I wrote.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am asking in which circumstances is this tactic acceptable. I didn't say which ones are definitively acceptable or not.

my answer is simple, they are all unacceptable. now you give it a go.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Root and cause.

Causing young children to see family being wounded or killed by Israel (often innocent people along with terrorists) is going to create a whole new generation of Hamas/Hezbollah.

There is no simple answer, but committing terrorist attacks themselves and constant war crimes isn't the answer.

Preventing attacks through infiltration and secret services should be goal number one. Then they would need to look at the best way to stop the next generation from becoming terrorists too.
What have do we hope when they teach 5yo to kill Jews?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Plainly it is true that these pagers were distributed by Hezbollah leadership to Hezbollah operatives so it wasn't an indiscriminate attack. Sabotaging mobile phones distributed amongst the civilian population would be an indiscriminate attack.
I’m not sure if you’re being deliberately obtuse. Let’s make it easy for you. Israel gives a bad person an explosive device. Bad person is in a public place or driving when it explodes. Innocent people get hurt.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I said Hamas were elected.

"In 2006 Palestinian legislative election, Hamas secured a majority in the Palestinian Legislative Council by campaigning on promises of a corruption-free government and advocating for resistance as a means to liberate Palestine from Israeli occupation."

I didn't say all Palestinians are terrorists.

You are quoting selective (wiki?) paragraphs out of context though - Hamas were not elected to rule Gaza per se, they beat Fatah in elections for the assembly of the Oslo Accords’ Palestinian Administrative Assembly in 2006 - which had authority over Gaza and the West Bank/East Jerusalem and was pro-West .

However, Hamas then took over the rule of Gaza by violent force overcoming Fatah in Gaza in 2007 and booting out the PA from Gaza. More than half of Gazans are under 18 - one year old at the last election - only a fraction of Palestinians today voted for Hamas in the 2006 Palestinian Assembly elections.

I know you didn’t actually ‘say’ Palestinians were terrorists btw but you did say Palestinians want ‘“Palestine’ which is known as ‘Israel’ back” which implies they want rid of Israel which is a terrorist ideology.

‘Israel’ does NOT include the Occupied Palestinian Territories ( Gaza, West Bank, East Jeruselem’ ) - yet it is these territories specifically which Palestinians civilians want back /freed from occupation ie back to pre-1967 6 Day War borders - it is only Hamas and Hezbollah that want the land back ‘known as Israel’ - ie prior to 1947 borders.

There is a crucial difference in each agenda - one is an extremist fundamentalist Jihadist agenda and one is a civil rights/two state solution agenda.

the Palestinian people who apparently prefer terrorism to a negotiated settlement.
I’m assuming (hoping) you were being ironic. 😎

Anyway - I’m out - I stopped getting involved with discussions on Israel/Gaza on the Hamas thread as it became so polarised, overly biased and at times simply pedalling false information and becoming abusive toward people with differing views on both sides.

Some good background reading here

Last edited:

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Israel blows up Hezbollah pagers/phones/walkie talkies. Acceptable or not?
Hezbollah blows up Israel government pagers/phones/walkie talkies. Acceptable or not?
Russia blows up Ukrainian pagers/phones/walkie talkies. Acceptable or not?
Ukraine blows up Russian pagers/phones/walkie talkies. Acceptable or not?
The ANC blows up South African apartheid government pagers/phones/walkie talkies. Acceptable or not?
South African apartheid givernment blows up ANC pagers/phones/walkie talkies. Acceptable or not?
UK government blows up IRA pagers/phones/walkie talkies. Acceptable or not?
IRA blows up UK government pagers/phones/walkie talkies. Acceptable or not?
It's often based off who the TV tells us is evil or who politically do we agree with, who is left who is right. Sadly most people when it comes down to it believe in collective punishment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yup. And they could have been on buses, in shops, etc....
Indeed. Although it’s unlikely they’d have been targeted unless they were members of an Iran backed terror organisation. An organisation that was launching rockets at buses and shops in Israel. Will you condemn that?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I’m not sure if you’re being deliberately obtuse. Let’s make it easy for you. Israel gives a bad person an explosive device. Bad person is in a public place or driving when it explodes. Innocent people get hurt.
Some civilians got hurt. That doesn't mean it was an indiscriminate attack. It obviously wasn't.
Edit: here's a video of one exploding in the pager user's pocket with nobody else injured

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
To those defending Israeli actions above, take a look at the link below. Imagine if it were your loved ones sat next to these people……

Now no walkie no talk 👌
Still making little jokes about kids being killed and nurses being maimed. Everyone can see what a sick, radicalised extremist you are

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here