Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expenses Labour M/Ps to get Legal Aid.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
how does someone earning £60k + qualify for legal aid?

Under current laws anyone facing a criminal charge where they may face imprisonment are entitled to legal aid. If found guilty however the costs of legal aid can be claimed back from the defendent.

The law has been changed but is being phased in and they are not on trial in an area where its been changed yet.

It is fair that anyone facing serious charges has support to face those charges but not sure this should be on the basis of discounting your choice of lawyer. I think they should be state employed lawyers who are appointed by the court and if you want your own lawyer then you pay the full cost.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why? It's not their fault. A judge has granted them this, not the Government. Also, as previously mentioned, they have been suspended from the party. Also, new rules are already coming in so Camerons kneejerk reaction is pretty pointless. Policy on the hoof DC, that's the way to run a country is it?

I notice the Tory peer didn't apply for legal aid.

That said, and as much as I think they're thieving scumbags, you can't play politics with the legal system. They would've been judged on the same criteria as anyone else in the country when applying for legal aid and they obviously met some of the criteria. You can't just deny someone legal aid because the case in in the papers and the public don't like them.

It isn't all based on your income and weather you can afford the cost, they factor in the complexity of the charges and the law and weather you need legal help to understand them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I notice the Tory peer didn't apply for legal aid.

That said, and as much as I think they're thieving scumbags, you can't play politics with the legal system. They would've been judged on the same criteria as anyone else in the country when applying for legal aid and they obviously met some of the criteria. You can't just deny someone legal aid because the case in in the papers and the public don't like them.

It isn't all based on your income and weather you can afford the cost, they factor in the complexity of the charges and the law and weather you need legal help to understand them.

What's the weather got to do with it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here