Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expenditure exceeding income

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
What about advertisement boards, income from live games, etc?

Not to mention the Stadium Naming Rights sale to American Express, shirt sales etc

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
MOST of our permanent players are on less than 5k a week, although that will change pretty quickly. Our income now is huge, up there with the top Championship clubs so pretty confident were not in the 30%. Palace are though. Oops.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
most of our permanent players are on less than 5k a week, although that will change pretty quickly. Our income now is huge, up there with the top championship clubs so pretty confident were not in the 30%. Palace are though. Oops.

but, dan, the cpfc have the cpfc2010confeuebtewcrapthing means loads of businessmen innittt blud together.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
probably missed most of the revenue in that v. poor analysis

Not to mention the Stadium Naming Rights sale to American Express, shirt sales etc

Woah there Lesley. I was jsut offering a sum for tickets this year to give some poorly construed basis to a part of our income!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Our house keeping is totally in order I believe, but I also believe that as a chairman Tony Bloom is relying on an entrance into the Premier League sooner rather than later. He may be rich but he's no tycoon, and his betting history tells me he may be paying off the back of a good income bet off Sky. Just a thought.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Woah there Lesley. I was jsut offering a sum for tickets this year to give some poorly construed basis to a part of our income!

Give it a rest will you. The level of expenditure over income depends wether its coming out of a slush fund or is being debt financed. In other words its not the clubs books you should worry about but the chairmans. He owns it, its his toy/asset. You and everyone else are subsidising his hobby. If he shows a profit, all well and good(for him). If hes debt financing eventually he will come unstuck, if his gamble loses, and will have to sell of his assets.

Thats how businesses work.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
By his own words, the club won't turn a profit this year, which is hardly surprising given (the capital costs of the stadium notwithstanding) all the set-up costs involved. Having said that, he said 'we will come close to breaking even...' What exactly that means is anyone's guess.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for the business lesson, Looney. I think I made it clear that it was a rough idea of ticket income. Nothing more, nothing less.

For one season. With a Capacity increase and the club(Hopes) putting in a resale system next season the revenue is likely to be quite different, this is before possible changes in Demand, prices and division. It doesn't really add up to much. There is far more scope for change than Withdean.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
TB has clearly decided to try and roll double 6 with FIVE Premiership loanees at the club for the run in (+ Vicente). Even then with 18000 ST sales, sell outs at every home game, hospitality, Amex non-matchday use, beer/pie sales, shirts/merch, non-budgeted (apart from first/third round) cup monies and TV revenue, then if we are struggling to even break even in our Virgin year at The Amex then we don't have a sustainable non-TB supported business model.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Now seems to be an appropriate time to do a back of a fag packet type calculation for our income this year.

2,400 fans paying an average of £90 a month fir a year - 1901 = £2.5m
75% of those paying £500 for their place = £900k
25% paying £1k for their lifetime agreement = £600k
15,000 people paying an average of £16 per game (league games only) = £5.5m
Cup Games - 5 (thus far) - with 13,000 people parting with £13 a game = £845k

Total thus far...

£10.345m

BOF, don't forget to add in the catering contract, that must be worth a few bob ? ..... thinking about it, would it be an idea to try to go " in house " for the catering ?

BOF, don't forget to add in the catering contract, that must be worth a few bob ? ..... thinking about it, would it be an idea to try to go " in house " for the catering ?

£3.6m/pa, assuming the £18m from Azure is paid annually in equal installments; also the £3.7m from the FL central fund that every Chapionship Club will receive this season but I guess BoF will have this - his figures are only a stab at the ticket income received at the Amex. There's the 20% VAT element to deduct.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Listen, even with all the above calculations, will people stop wetting themselves about the figures. If you think we're in trouble after reading the above, think about most of the others in this league and it will look alot better for us.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I thought I saw somewhere on this most erudite of boards, that our budgeted income for 2011-2 was going to be £21m and out outgoings for the same period was £18m with a £3m net projected profit. Bearing in mind a couple of good cup runs , which I presume paid for Vicente and the two Man City lads, we must be in the 70% band.

I have no doubt we are cash sensible and also we pay our tax.

TNBA

TTF

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You could probably work out which clubs are the 30%:)
pompey
leicester
westham
ipswich
forest?
coventry?
birmingham
bristol.c

That would be my 30% probably:)

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I think that this thread may be based on a mis quote. The new Pompey administrator said that 30% of Championship clubs have PLAYER wage bills that exceed their total income which is even worse. It was said to make out that Pompey were just unlucky and are not doing anything different to other clubs!!

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
There is nothing new in this information, its all contained with the annual 'Deloitte Touche Finance in Football' report. You can view it here:

http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-UnitedKingdom/Local%20Assets/Documents/Industries/Sports%20Business%20Group/uk_sbg_arff11_highlights.pdf

The main details regarding the Championship in 2009/10 are:

Championship clubs’ operating results worsened for the sixth consecutive year, to a record loss of £133m. 14 Championship clubs lost £5m or more at an operating level (2008/09: 12 clubs) and only three clubs reported pre-tax profits (2008/09: two clubs).

Overall, Championship clubs are spending £4 for every £3 they generate in revenue. Reduced Football League distributions from 2012/13 due to lower broadcasting rights values, and pressures on matchday and
commercial revenues, risk worsening this position. Clubs urgently need to take corrective action.

Championship clubs’ wages grew by 6% to £357m, which was less than their revenue growth and resulted in the wages/revenue ratio improving to 88% – albeit from a record high of 90% in the previous season. Nonetheless, worryingly around a third of clubs in the Championship reported a wages/revenueratio of 100% or more, paying out more in wages than they earned in revenue. The correlation between wage costs and league finishing position remains weaker in the Championship overall, although evidence indicates automatic promotion to the Premier League almost always requires a top six ranked wage bill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here