Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exiles and season tickets

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I thought about buying one and then letting some kind of charity use the seat for home matches for a kid or someone who might not normally have the chnace to go due to costs. The year I finally get over to see a few matches I'll probably do that.
I always have alot of time for your post's TB, one question I'm sure you have been asked is what's your connection to the Albion from all those miles away mate?

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
I have purchased a season ticket for myself and 6 year old son the East Stand.

I have purchased an U18 ticket so my daughter can get to some games or upgrade if my wife and I want a long weekend in Brighton.

It is something I have been planning for a while, but didnt want him to be exposed to the elements at Withdean. Paying for two flights from the Isle of Man then getting soaked would be no enjoyment me or him. I guess we could have looked at the North Stand at Withdean but the AMEX has come along at the right time.

We are planning on getting to at least half the home games each season and hopefully shifting the tickets to games we dont attend to friends of friends etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When I first moved to the West Country I retained our Withdean season tickets and still made every home game, including evenings. I'd leave work at 4 and make a dash for Withdean, and then drive straight back home after, getting back around 00:30 or so.

As time went on, I got a bit fed up of those trips and, being honest, some Withdean fatigue also set in and I gave up the season tickets.

But it is possible without massive effort to make home games from afar, moreso if there are several in the same area, or en route, who can share driving and fuel costs. I know of a few die-hards, such as Jim in the West, who still make the same journey that I used to.

I'm biting the bullet and buying 2 season tickets for next season because, simply, I don't want to miss out. I'll make a decision around a year from now whether I want them, or need them, for the following season as I know my attendance will be patchy.

Anyway, I digress, for some time I had considered buying either 2 or 4 "NSC season tickets" that would be available for NSC members who can't make it every week. I hadn't fleshed out the plan completely, but the way I thought it would work is...

- I buy the tickets from NSC funds.
- Some form of first come/first served process for either individual or pairs of tickets.
- Those taking the tickets would have to pay the 'per match rate' of the ticket, i.e. the cost of the season ticket divided by 23 in order that NSC gets recompensed and is able to keep the scheme rolling from season to season.
- Each member is responsible for sending the ticket(s) to the member who is due to have them next, or to me if they are not being used.

My concern is that if Falmer is not filling up, cheaper tickets may be available and people may choose them over the NSC tickets, leaving NSC nursing a financial loss.

Another option would be for NSC to co-ordinate season tickets between several members who will commit to 1/4 or 1/2 shares.

Happy to listen to thoughts on how NSC can help far-flung members to get to games.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The only current restriction is no Saturday games in December (has to be Fri evening instead).

Assuming the same park-and-ride schemes are used, won't this also apply to Falmer? (apologies if I've missed this elsewhere)

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
surely a potential issue with sharing a season ticket, or buying one knowing you won't be able to attend many games, is the actual physical ticket... as season tickets will be a credit card smart card. so you can't simply tear out the relevant match ticket and give that to somebody else, you'll have to pass on the actual smart card.

if say somebody lives in Scotland, they'll have to post their smart card to somebody in say worthing, who'll then need to keep hold of the smart card and pass on, or send back to the owner. actually that doesn't sound too problematic does it!

i guess the point i'm saying is that the season ticket owners might need to be a bit careful about the whereabouts of their smart card.

one further point. it would be a shame if loads of seats were empty of midweek matches because so many people have purchased season tickets for the occasional fixture and hadn't ensured somebody was using their seat.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Depending on where I am (we live in worcestershire but have a place in somerset and regularly visit Holland to babysit the grandkids) I have a minimum 4 hours drive each way for a game and at current prices I'm looking at £70-£80 fuel cost minimum. If we stop over for the night to make the journey easier and to include my wife more (not a football fan really but loves shopping) there is another £70-£120 for a hotel plus meals. Even a cheap season starts to get expensive at around £200 add-ons per game so regrettably it's a "no" for me and I will just have to do the odd game and focus on away matches for my fix. The really bad news though is that in the Championship I am in a bad location wherever I may be to see many "local" games - Bristol City, Forest, Derby, Coventry, Leicester, Reading, Cardiff, Swansea.....maybe Wolves or the Baggies.
Shame really but a new ground and a new start in the championship make it worth it

Last edited:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i am but then i have been a season ticket holder every season at withdean.i usually get to about 75% of home games although last season it was more like half

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Depending on where I am (we live in worcestershire but have a place in somerset and regularly visit Holland to babysit the grandkids) I have a minimum 4 hours drive each way for a game and at current prices I'm looking at £70-£80 fuel cost minimum. If we stop over for the night to make the journey easier and to include my wife more (not a football fan really but loves shopping) there is another £70-£120 for a hotel plus meals. Even a cheap season starts to get expensive at around £200 add-ons per game so regrettably it's a "no" for me and I will just have to do the odd game and focus on away matches for my fix. The really bad news though is that in the Championship I am in a bad location wherever I may be to see many "local" games - Bristol City, Forest, Derby, Coventry, Leicester, Reading, Cardiff, Swansea.....maybe Wolves or the Baggies.
Shame really but a new ground and a new start in the championship make it worth it

To be honest we are in the same situation, whilst it is not necessary to use a hotel we always have done for the away games, that said Brighton is as much an away game anyway!!, mainly for two reasons, 1) to break the journey up, 2) it makes a bit of a weekend of it, but whatever we did about Hotels we still cant alter the fuel costs, ok the odd game maybe we could car share, the only thing with that is we are totally restricted to the football only, no popping off to see friends or family in that area, shopping etc etc.

I know we will carry on doing some away games, and of course we will do Falmer on a few occasions a season, but sadly, as i said before we cant warrant paying out for two season tickets and making that committment, if the personal situation changes in the future, then so will the decision on season tickets, I must be honest like many in our situation we really do want tickets for the first game, but very much doubt there will be anything available.

I do like Bozza's idea.

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
i am but then i have been a season ticket holder every season at withdean.i usually get to about 75% of home games although last season it was more like half

Only half, thats quite a few missed, did you sell / pass on the tickets or just accept it?

By the way, it seems you have a "FEED" up travelling to home games :lolol:

if you joined a world net work of brighton fans you could buy into a couple of tickets on a time share basis? lets link all supporters clubs world wide???

The trouble with this is if I joined with others, who gets to go to the first game?

Or man U at home in the 3rd round?

Or the Play off semi final?

i'd sooner get my own ticket, that way I get priority. If I can sell or give away tickets for games I'm not going to then fine, but if not it's not the end of the world.

Me not being at the first game would!

Logistically might make this difficult, but will you try and sell on any unused tickets?

Yes I will. I've bought a seat in a block of 12 owned by friends so hopefully one of them will buy any I'm not using. Also this means that if I do go to a game and want to take one of my kids or a friend there's a good chance one of their seats might be available.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
To be honest we are in the same situation, whilst it is not necessary to use a hotel we always have done for the away games, that said Brighton is as much an away game anyway!!, mainly for two reasons, 1) to break the journey up, 2) it makes a bit of a weekend of it, but whatever we did about Hotels we still cant alter the fuel costs, ok the odd game maybe we could car share, the only thing with that is we are totally restricted to the football only, no popping off to see friends or family in that area, shopping etc etc.

I know we will carry on doing some away games, and of course we will do Falmer on a few occasions a season, but sadly, as i said before we cant warrant paying out for two season tickets and making that committment, if the personal situation changes in the future, then so will the decision on season tickets, I must be honest like many in our situation we really do want tickets for the first game, but very much doubt there will be anything available.

I do like Bozza's idea.

Bozza's idea is brilliant and I don't think there is any real risk of not covering costs. My wife is disabled so if she doesn't come with me I need a carer organised. She won't miss a trip to Brighton though hence hotel stop-overs and being restricted to relatively easy to get to away games although I manage most in the north west.

on the subject of flying - it is easier and has often been CHEAPER to fly in from Amsterdam than to drive from home. Did it twice last year but not this year (yet)

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
- I buy the tickets from NSC funds.
- Some form of first come/first served process for either individual or pairs of tickets.
- Those taking the tickets would have to pay the 'per match rate' of the ticket, i.e. the cost of the season ticket divided by 23 in order that NSC gets recompensed and is able to keep the scheme rolling from season to season.
- Each member is responsible for sending the ticket(s) to the member who is due to have them next, or to me if they are not being used.

Could some NSC representative meet the person before the game and take it back once in the ground/after the game instead of all this posting with it's inherent dangers ?

:amex::albion1:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I considered it but my main problem is flights, If i book NOW, the cheapest return i could get was around 70 quid inc taxes, but the return journey was the biggest problem with easyjet currently only running one service back to both Glasgow and Edinburgh and both leaving around 6pm, with the best will in the world, im not going to get to Gatwick in time for that!
There is a later BA flight which left around 10pm and was reasonably priced but thats four hours to kill every two weeks or so.

Midweek games would be out of the question, but im sure Saturdays must be do-able, i know of a Spurs fan who makes it down for every game!

I looked into the other airlines and airports but then i have to add on train fares from stansted and would have to return to a different airport (no use returning to Prestwick for example if my car is in Edinburgh).

So to summarise i have now just accepted that its not going to happen.

EDIT: Thats a brilliant idea Bozza!

john baldock

Feb 18, 2009
gloucester
Hi guys i will have season ticket for falmer but will not be able to make all games,but have family in Hailsham so games i cant make my brother gets first dibs or the group i will sit with their family or freinds get them so tickets wont go to waist.

Last saturday my day started at 05.45 out of glos and home by 10.30pm,and this saturday wont get home untill 11.30 as busses from Brighton to Three bridges me thinks thats how us exiles are commited,not to bad as get to meet other fans for freindly banter on the way home !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I might just bite the bullet and buy, say, 4 season tickets on behalf of NSC and cross fingers that they get used sufficiently to make them pay. If they don't NSC loses some cash and I cancel for the 2012-13 season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here