Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excuse my ignorance but why are teenagers pretending to be wannabee gangsters!!!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I think MTV are to blame, we never had Satellite TV in the good old days, we used to get our fashion tips from ' The Radio 1 Roadshow ', Jeff Banks and Selina Scott on ' the Clothes show ' and the Littlewoods catalogue.

Anyway, what's wrong with platform soles and a nice pair of corderouys, they were the hippest thing in 1974 ! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I dream of a better life where I can stroll around in a shit jumper that I paid £50 for just because it had the words "Thomas Burberry" somewhere on it, a pair of jeans that practically wedgie me but go rather nicely with a tucked in Lacoste t-shirt and a pair of Rockport shoes that make me look like a bouncer.

Unfortunately though I'm a mothafuckin PIMP, hoodies rule (you can wear em for years without em smelling and you can sleep in em), skate shoes are the most comfortable thing since wanking was discovered and frankly there are far more important things to blow money on than shit clothes.

xx

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Personally I think it is, as stated, american fashion to a certain extent. But like all these things fashions change and we will have a English/British fashion again that will hook people.

Most of the time fashion is linked to music and of course that changes at will. From about 1988-1991 we had the Madchester/Baggy years where Happy Mondays, Primal Scream, Charlatans, Blur, Inspiral Carpets, Mock Turltes and of course, The Stone Roses. Then everyone was dressed in loose fitting clothes, had moppy hair and wore "Reni" hats. The Ecstasy druf was the rage and everyone apparently loved each other!!!

From 1994-1997 there was Britpop with the obvious bands of Oasis, Blur (again), Sleeper, Echobelly, Charlatans (again), Menswear, Supergrass, etc. This time cagools and cool retro looking tracksuit tops were the order of the day.

I am sure that when we get a decent music scene once more it will all change.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
looney said:
I agree, at some point in the 90's, earlyish, UK music died, UK fasion died, UK Art died and UK comedy died. Labour got in and called it cool britania and the Young Country, says it all really.

There REALLY is a dearth of creative talent in the UK at the moment, ive never known US bands rule our charts we used to rule theirs. It isn't a generation thing though I like some new bands, nickleback effervesance(spelling).

Christ! I'm actually agreeing with FC?:ohmy:

hmm don't agree with you there looney. uk comedy died!? (see my avatar), know nothing about art so can't comment, uk music died? never. the industry may be bleating about sales but good music is always out there.

uk fashion? well, thank fuk noone does dress like goths or new romantics anymore:lolol: i don't agree that the hoodie/cap thing is completely a us thing. at the end of the 80's beginning of the 90's we had acid house. trainers were derigeur as was comfy, casual clothing. its stuck, mainly cos its so bloody comfy i reckon.

having said that, i am not denying there are loads of twats playing out their bling bling fantasy, i don't think its exclusively a us thing though

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I agree with some of the comments above, its just a fashion thing. It is a refelction of Hip-Hop music that is popular with youth at the mo.

Only thing I cant stand is the fuckin 'black, gangsta, ali G innit accents'. White boys with a jamacan accent. That really is a fuckin joke. :dunce:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Fluffster said:
I wear a hoody and a cap most of the time, do i want to be a gangster? NO! All you're doing is stereotyping and it's absolute bollocks... it's called "fashion".

and it gives the normal ones someone to laugh at :lolol: :lolol:

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
This is all true.
My son (18) has multiple personality disorder. He believes he is a black gangster rapper from the hood.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
m.c.hamster don't dis him or you'll end up with a cap in your ass ! be-yach

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
My 18 year old gangster rapping son is actually a white middle class middle minded W.A.S.P. from a typically middle England suburb.
He calls me M.C. Such disrespect.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
simple really . . .iss coz its cool an rebelious . . . .when they get a little bit older and wiser they'll either look back and think . . .blimey, glad I dont look like that any more . . . . .or they'll have accidentally slashed their own knackers off trying to be 'hard' with mums bread knife in their jacket pocket and will be reduced to living a sad lonely existence in Littlehampton :lolol:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Funny as i was goner put a thread up stating this ha ha!!!
On the bus to town sat there was 3 white boys aged about 15 singing rap like a pure black rapper etc and with a seriuos attitude.

I gritt my teeth as it was rearly getting to me and its everywhere dear o dear.:angry: :angry: :angry:

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
Watch em gangsta types!
Before you know it, they'll be poppin a cap in yo ass!!

:lolol:

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
ukade said:
Please excuse my ignorance but every single teenager that I see these days is either

1) Wearing a baseball cap

or

2) Wearing a hoody
I am a teenager, I don't wear hoodies or caps (except on holiday).

Does this mean I am not cool? ???

MRRF 10

Ukade,
i'm 14, i wear hoodies sometimes but plain colours, no writing, or pictures, but i'm not a gangster, and i don't go round mugging little old ladies, which it seems people like you think we do, so does that mean i'm also uncool.

I wish people would stop making rash generalisations about teenagers just because they wear a hoodie, why don't i start a thread asking "why are all old people grumpy?" and see what kind of a reply that gets.

ps...the only baseball cap i do wear is an albion one.

"And why the hell is it everytime they speak, they sound so bloody common and talk as though they are living in some sort of ghetto."

Maybe because we can't all be as stuck up as you.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here