Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exactly HOW do you get a cast iron bath out of your house??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It has a flat top and crappy adjustable feet, so I'm sure its worth nowt.

I have the googles, ear defenders, safety boots from work. Shall I wear my hard hart and hi-vis jacket too?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I'm [ill-advisedly] trying to fit a new bathroom suite, to replace the lovely turquoise 1970's one we inherited.

Luckily this bathroom is on the ground floor, so no stairs to contend with, but how do you get the cast iron bath out? It would appear to weigh several tonnes! There is only a cm or 2 of clearance at either end, so it can't be turned at all - it needs to be stood on end first, if it were to be carried.

Is it at all possible to cut it up? Would an angle grinder do it? Apologies for being slightly retarded.

Smash the shit out of it with a sledge hammer. Did the trick with ours, though you'd be wise to wear goggles, cos the shards can be a wee bit dodgy.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
749px-Wrecking_ball.jpg

HKFC f***ing smashes the f*** out of his bath
- REUTERS ©2008.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
That wikihow thing manages to make what is a pretty masculine task seem the gayest thing ever.

Good luck 'conquering your beast'.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Have done two in past fortnight - As suggested it's worth F-all in one piece, so ear defenders, goggles and a sledgehammer - you'll be twice as long wit a lump/club hammer.

Obviously cap off the pipework, and disconnect the waste and cover it, as the splinters will likely fill your trap or waste pipe, and cause problems further afoot.. and need to pay some one a lot of money to fix..

Iron is only worth approx £35 a tonne (in London...) but look to break into 4 or six pieces max, leave outside with your old taps connected, and pikey's will remove on your behalf - the taps are worth a tenner on their own...

Good luck..!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
HK, I had exactly the same problem...here is what you need to do.

Put it on a very solid surface or outside.

If you can, get two or three of you to turn it over so the base of the bath is facing you.

using a medium sized chisel and a sledgehammer, make a cross shape in the middle of the bath base. Then using a long handled sledgehammer hit the bugger on the cross.

If you hit it in the right place, the bath should break into 4 pieces which is considerably more easier to carry to your local scrap metal dealer to give you £30!

Good luck!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Watch the Green Street dvd beforehand to get in the mood.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
HK, I had exactly the same problem...here is what you need to do.

Put it on a very solid surface or outside.

If you can, get two or three of you to turn it over so the base of the bath is facing you.

using a medium sized chisel and a sledgehammer, make a cross shape in the middle of the bath base. Then using a long handled sledgehammer hit the bugger on the cross.

If you hit it in the right place, the bath should break into 4 pieces which is considerably more easier to carry to your local scrap metal dealer to give you £30!

Good luck!

I beleve the original problem was to get it outside in the FIRST place!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
well....

Tell us what method/tools you used!!!

The wet towel and a club hammer. Worked a treat - bloody hard work, but it only took half an hour.

Anyone doing the same really does need safety glasses - the chips of enamel do fly everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here