Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ex players. Where are they now?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Whatever happened to my Champ Man England superstar..... Nicky Rust?

In noughties versions of FM he was a goalkeeping coach but then disappeared.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Thanks for this [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] - I LOVE hearing about former Albion players, and the more obscure the better. Roberts was released by Southampton during his U-16 schoolboy season but spent two years as a trainee at Albion between 1987 and 1989. Unfortunately he was no Ben White and was released at the end of the scheme. One of his fellow trainees was Stephen March - Solly's dad!

This is the full Albion squad in 1987-88 - Roberts is the second from right on the front row (half kneeling, next to Steve Penney). March is fourth from left on the back row, next to goalkeeper Trevor Wood:-

View attachment 127860

I love that team photo, it was a brilliant side. I also loved that kit, one of the best in my time watching the Albion.

I also think it's weird that the retro shirts the club sell they picked the later version of that kit where Nobo is in red. It looks better in white in my opinion and also it was a promotion winning kit. Where as the kit with Nobo in red is from seasons where we were bottom half in league 2 (now championship).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Your post prompted me to look up Simmonds on wikipedia. There is a link to an Eastbourne Herald report of the Sussex Senior Cup final in May 1992 (Albion v Langney Sports; Simmonds, a former Sports youngster, came on as a sub for Albion and was booed by the Sports' fans, apparently) - Hole's moment of agony in great Goldstone fight

Anyway, the most interesting thing in that report is this:-

Yep, our now Technical Director "Danny" Ashworth was playing for Sports back then!

Danny Ashworth trained to be a P.E. teacher at what is now the University of Brighton campus in Eastbourne.

By reputation, young Danny “enjoyed himself” let’s say as a student. The“Danny to Dan” headline is insightful as part of his self transformation/reinvention included insistence that people use his newly preferred name...

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
If not already mentioned in this thread, Stuart Tuck teaches at Varndean.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
A few years ago Bert Murray was running the Bull at Market Deeping near Peterborough, where he finished his career. But I haven't been there for a long time so I don't know if he is still there. Probably he would have retired by now as he must be even older than me. (For younger members, he was a key player in the Pat Saward promotion team.)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Richard Carpenter works for the railways, on the tracks I believe

He's from Sittingbourne (born on Sheppy), although I've seen him in Faversham (had a chat with him in the town square about ten years ago).

Edit: "In 2012, Carpenter was sentenced to 200 hours of community service after pleading guilty to an assault charge following a brawl in The Red Lion pub in Hernhill.". That's near Faversham. A quiet pub restaurant :ohmy:

red lion.jpg

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
A big cult hero at the time was Alan Duffy. He had a great first game for us and was always carrying a little excess weight. Where is he now?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Anyone know what happened to Jeff Minton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Busy ordering Train Guy around on projects such as pencil cases, bobble hats and heart-shaped salami slices.

Playmaker

Mar 29, 2016
Mid Sussex
Interesting read on Gary Stevens - I used to work for a firm of accountants at Old Steine in the early 80's where Gary was a client - Always had time for a chat when he was in reception waiting for his appointment when I was on my way out for lunch.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Changed their name because if the reason you had to do this post. Nobody outside of Eastbourne knew where it was and they wanted more sponsorship. I used to play darts with a board member and he told me before the change. They had their own mini Bloom in Len Smith who grew the club.

Back on topic if no-one has mentioned it yet, Mayo is a cold calling phone salesman.

I believe there is only one Kerry Mayo now, following a divorce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here